News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono trigger plus  (Read 292325 times)

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
Re: Chrono trigger plus
« Reply #1080 on: February 16, 2020, 08:27:31 pm »
I picked this up a couple of days ago because I started my gf on the original, and ended up jonesing for some new Chrono action myself. Came here looking for a solution to the map issue in 2300AD... very unfortunate that I downloaded the patch during that tiny window! I'll leave some feedback since I'm here already. If these are already known, sorry, I can't read the whole thread. I'm using all except for the menu music and autorun patches.

-Magus is at The End of Time from the first time I arrive. He asks to come along, if I say yes, the character select screen opens, but he isn't an option. I assume this isn't supposed to happen?

-Not sure if this is intentional or how much you care about balance, but you can sneak past the minions to the left of the entrance in the Cult of Lavos, where there's a blob guarding a staircase. This blob's script or whatever seemingly makes it impossible to lose to him, so you can just run down and back up the stairs to get him to respawn and grind effectively for quite some time, quickly becoming a small god very early in the game.

-Ioka Village trader dialogue refers to "Stone Fist" instead of "Stone Arm."

Those are all valid, I fixed them all but I have some more stuff to do before I upload again.

Horonelius

• View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: February 17, 2020, 12:37:18 am »
Not sure if it was because of the save file being from a previous version, or the emulator used, but trying to disembark the Epoch in the End of Time results in a black screen as of version 2.3.6.

Illuminasty

• View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: February 17, 2020, 02:46:17 pm »
On 2.3.6:

This is upon reaching the End of Time for the first time, Robo's palette appears to have some issues.

This is after I tried removing Crono from the lead position to have a party consisting of Robo, Lucca and Marle. Magus has been over here since I got here for some reason. I don't know if Crono is supposed to be found here if he's not in the party or in the room in the back like Robo was, but he's not.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 03:38:53 pm by Illuminasty »

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: February 17, 2020, 02:59:39 pm »
Not sure if it was because of the save file being from a previous version, or the emulator used, but trying to disembark the Epoch in the End of Time results in a black screen as of version 2.3.6.

Nope, restoring the EoT to the original caused all kinds of problems.
The next version is up and it all worked fine in my testing.

As an added bonus selling the speed shoes now returns your run speed to the default.

February 17, 2020, 09:57:49 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
@Illuminasty I wasnt aware of that one but the latest version should fix the palette problem,  it wouldnt be a bad idea to block party changing though.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:57:49 pm by ThegreatBen »

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: February 18, 2020, 09:40:59 am »
it wouldnt be a bad idea to block party changing though.

You mean only at the end of time?  Or are you talking more generally, like restricting part swaps to the world map or some such thing?

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: February 18, 2020, 11:26:57 am »
You mean only at the end of time?  Or are you talking more generally, like restricting part swaps to the world map or some such thing?

Although it should be blocked already in Illuminasty's photos it looks like he swapped out Crono after landing at the end of time, but before talking to Gaspar,he shouldn't have been able to do that.

Its certainly not worth another release just for that but I'll check it out.

On a positive note the Epoch is flying around 1999 no problem,  the only thing now is coming up with events to allow it, I cant have you gaining access to places that you haven't unlocked yet.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: February 18, 2020, 11:43:40 am »
Media needs to either be changed or blocked somehow for sure if the side quests weren't completed.  But the others seem like they could be accessible via other means without it causing too much of an issue, so long as the NPCs offering the sidequests didn't offer them until the place were properly unlocked (at least in Choras and Porre's cases).

tom1988

• View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: February 18, 2020, 04:20:34 pm »
Not sure if this is the right place, but last night I played CT+ and was enjoying it until I tried going into 1999 after defeating the Lavos Spawn at the Cult of Lavos. The game pretty much crashed at a black screen. I was playing it on SNES9X. I'm unsure if that bug can be reproduced with the same emulator if someone else tried it. Needless to say, CT+ was great. :)

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: February 18, 2020, 05:24:58 pm »
Not sure if this is the right place, but last night I played CT+ and was enjoying it until I tried going into 1999 after defeating the Lavos Spawn at the Cult of Lavos. The game pretty much crashed at a black screen. I was playing it on SNES9X. I'm unsure if that bug can be reproduced with the same emulator if someone else tried it. Needless to say, CT+ was great. :)

Snes9x is the ideal emulator for this, try it again though because I went through that portal a dozen times over the last few days and it works. It may have just been an hiccup.

tom1988

• View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: February 18, 2020, 09:29:28 pm »
Snes9x is the ideal emulator for this, try it again though because I went through that portal a dozen times over the last few days and it works. It may have just been an hiccup.

It might be a hiccup, so I might try it again sometime. BTW I was using Snes9x 1.60 to be more specific.

Boozekin

• View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: February 18, 2020, 10:12:52 pm »
So some "bugs to report" im playing 2.3.3. In 1999 when you go into the dome (geno?) that has the factory layout form 2300. It is strait up just the factory. Opened chests and everything. I already have the dash shoes, so i thought maybe that let me run up the conveyor belt when i shouldnt have. The other problem i had, when in medina 1999, i couldn't access the magic chest with the pendent for a while. At some point it let me finally access it. The only difference was i beat the black omen. not sure if that has anything to do with it.

renkoha

• View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: February 18, 2020, 10:42:11 pm »
On a positive note the Epoch is flying around 1999 no problem,  the only thing now is coming up with events to allow it, I cant have you gaining access to places that you haven't unlocked yet.

how about a minigame using the flying perspective in order to adquire a license to fly epoch around?

it will also be interesting to implement a more elaborated highway minigame in 1999 AD with more competitors and/or intrincated circuits, but it may take too much work, anyway tell what you think about it

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: February 19, 2020, 08:50:32 am »
So some "bugs to report" im playing 2.3.3. In 1999 when you go into the dome (geno?) that has the factory layout form 2300. It is strait up just the factory. Opened chests and everything. I already have the dash shoes, so i thought maybe that let me run up the conveyor belt when i shouldnt have. The other problem i had, when in medina 1999, i couldn't access the magic chest with the pendent for a while. At some point it let me finally access it. The only difference was i beat the black omen. not sure if that has anything to do with it.

That factory is blocked off in the last few versions, and yes it was the Black Omen that prevented the box from working.

how about a minigame using the flying perspective in order to adquire a license to fly epoch around?

it will also be interesting to implement a more elaborated highway minigame in 1999 AD with more competitors and/or intrincated circuits, but it may take too much work, anyway tell what you think about it

Cool ideas, right now though I'm thinking something simple, maybe when all the appropriate side quests are done activating the Epoch in 1999 will give the prompt "cruise around?"

Boozekin

• View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: February 19, 2020, 11:55:01 am »
Just finished the game, a couple questions and a couple thoughts on it (2.3.3). Can you actually get into the sewer in 1999? because I really tried and couldn't figure it out. I would recommend making it more clear how and where to get into stuff, because most of my time in 1999 was spent just running around (about 3 hours worth) trying to find where to go. Also, I would recommend making it much more clear if something is assessable or not. At the 99 millennial fair it felt pretty obvious that the parts that said under construction I couldn't go into. Where as with that damn sewer, I really felt like I could get into there.

I played this on nes difficulty which was a great experience through about death peak. I felt everything was appropriately hard, but after that the side content really became fairly easy. It was a little disappointing how hard i stomped zeal and lavos. I was about level 78 with my characters with almost no grinding. I would recommend decreasing how quickly you level after about level 40 or 45. and giving some extra health to end game bosses. If I had done lavos at level 65 or so I think it would have been a much deeper fight. Also, I would set the center cores health to about 15-20000. that way you can't burn it down before it gets to any big attacks. Maybe the same with some other late game bosses (especially zeal), but I think if you were about 10 levels lower on average they would have been reasonably harder. (ps, the pink nu is probably appropriately hard though, took me quite a few times to get all my gear right to beat him).

The hack is fantastic. I really had a great time playing through. I am going to do a couple new game+ I think. Is is possible to switch from 2.3.3 to 2.3.7 when i load into new game plus or would there be anything to worry about with that?

Illuminasty

• View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: February 20, 2020, 09:10:46 pm »
On 2.3.7. The battle that is supposed to happen here after the bit of dialogue doesn't actually start so I'm just stuck there.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: February 21, 2020, 11:21:50 am »
@Boozekin the readme has a small 1999 walkthrough. And yeah you can update your patch with no problems.

On 2.3.7. The battle that is supposed to happen here after the bit of dialogue doesn't actually start so I'm just stuck there.

I have no idea why they do that but I'll try to get it fixed.

boff

• View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: February 21, 2020, 04:44:01 pm »
Hello, GREAT Ben!

I'm going to start playing your hack this weekend. From what I read in the topic, you have already occupied practically all of the ROM's memory space. Are you already satisfied with the excellent work or are you still planning another major update on your project?

Another question: can a person who has never played before lose some piece of history, since you took away much of the linearity?

Big hug!

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: February 22, 2020, 06:56:14 pm »
The bug preventing access to 1999 has been fixed, sorry for the inconvenience.

Hello, GREAT Ben!

I'm going to start playing your hack this weekend. From what I read in the topic, you have already occupied practically all of the ROM's memory space. Are you already satisfied with the excellent work or are you still planning another major update on your project?

Another question: can a person who has never played before lose some piece of history, since you took away much of the linearity?

Big hug!

Thanks, nope nothing of the original is missing.

tom1988

• View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: February 24, 2020, 06:38:36 pm »
The bug preventing access to 1999 has been fixed, sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks, nope nothing of the original is missing.

I'll give it another shot. BTW this may sound off-topic, but it's best to test the hack on Snes9x, Higan and Bizhawk to see if there are any bugs based on whichever SNES emulator is used to play the game. Many players have different tastes in which SNES emulator they prefer. Still, most people use Snes9x IMO.

pleasejust

• View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: February 24, 2020, 10:05:53 pm »
Ideally it should be tested on hardware. Are there any quirks of ZSNES that this hack replies on that are not hardware accurate?