News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono trigger plus  (Read 113387 times)

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
Re: Chrono trigger plus
« Reply #620 on: January 13, 2019, 08:07:47 pm »
That sounds like an acceptable way to do it. I'm almost done with the original test, so lemme know when the new patch is.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 05:11:20 pm by ThegreatBen »

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 21, 2019, 05:11:48 pm »
So here's what I've been up to.

First I must have fixed another forty errors, bad indentations, bad punctuation,  clipping through doorways, and several instances of crashing or freezing.

I've added a the option to buy catfood in West city.

I've added a Pawn shop in west city that sells rare items.

The players can now acquire a penthouse suite in 1999, the pawn shop sells cool stuff you can put in it.

The gate in 1999 now takes you directly to tEoT instead of making you trek back through the 2300 dungeon.

There's now a save point in the cult of Lavos dungeon.

Found some more unused 2300ad overworld tiles and added them.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 05:44:54 pm by ThegreatBen »

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 27, 2019, 06:03:07 pm »
I found a bug in the Wondershot damage routine. Change 0x01EE6D from 00 00 to 89 AD to correct the 1.5x damage option. Currently I believe this winds up being an additional 1x damage option, but I haven't tested the garbage value it's loading fully yet.
Mauron wuz here.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 27, 2019, 09:11:37 pm »
I found a bug in the Wondershot damage routine. Change 0x01EE6D from 00 00 to 89 AD to correct the 1.5x damage option. Currently I believe this winds up being an additional 1x damage option, but I haven't tested the garbage value it's loading fully yet.

So the wondershot couldn't take advantage of the Prism specs? Or it had it's own 1.5 multiplayer the want triggering? Also are the
blank map slots F8 to FF after the world maps safe to use?

Also for anyone following this here's a sample video of what I've been working on.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I3SULxIfqwU

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 28, 2019, 04:48:07 am »
Here's my notes from when I was looking into the Wondershot for someone else.

The Wondershot gives damage based on X9 seconds, with the following results:
0: About a tenth of normal damage. (There's some complex bitwise math involved that I haven't completely figured out. I'll let you know if I do).
1-2: Half damage.
3-4: Normal damage.
5-6: This one's glitchy. It looks like it was meant to be 1.5x damage, but it loads a garbage value as part of it's calculation. Based on what I can see, it might end up being normal damage.
7-8: Double damage.
9: 2.5x damage.

The Wondershot got unintentionally nerfed because someone forgot change the RAM address loaded for part of it. Prism Specs work fine with the Wondershot.

Would that be Locations 0x1F8 to 0x1FF? I haven't fully tested those, so I can't say for sure.
Mauron wuz here.

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #625 on: January 29, 2019, 03:55:24 am »
Amazing work so far. I'm really looking forward to trying out version 2.0 when it's released. The map design for the new areas in 1999 appears very well done. The NPC follower idea for quests is also an interesting and welcome new addition. I just have two questions if no one minds:

1. Will using the bucket at the End of Time or the Epoch take the player to the Lavos battle as in the original game, or to some newly added place in 1999? Is it also possible for the player to access the Lavos battle while in 1999 or only by the use one of the three original methods (either through the Black Omen, the bucket at the End of Time or by using the Epoch)?

2. Can the player travel anywhere in the game while an NPC is currently following them or are they limited to travelling only to certain areas until they leave the party? Also, as a quick follow up question: Will these NPCs also help the player in combat or not? Hopefully, they're immortal or else it might be a bit tedious having to reload the game if they get defeated. And knowing how NPCs are like in most games, they usually tend to lose quite quickly when they have limited HP.

Edit: I have a great idea for a possible alternate version patch that could be included along with the main one. If this project could be combined with the Schala Edition project, it might be an awesome joint project that could let players experience a very fresh take on Chrono Trigger. So, what do you all think of this? If everyone involved in these two projects agree to this, it really might be worth considering.

By the way, about the Schala Edition... I noticed that on the Chrono Trigger Compendium site, the first post on the project page still lists it as version 1.1 when it is currently at version 1.2. I'm not a member there, so if anyone could let the project leader there know, that would be nice. Furthermore, I noticed that the Compendium site is now displaying an error "502 Bad Gateway" message when accessed. Does anyone know what's going on and when this will be fixed? I'm just wondering whether or not this is just an ordinary bug/glitch that sometimes occurs on message boards.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 06:08:22 am by Recca »
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 29, 2019, 08:27:17 am »
Thanks for the support.

1. I am actually working on making a shortcut to 1999 after it's been unlocked, not quite sure on the details yet.

2. Guest NPCs can only go on maps that I programmed them on, hopefully they will eventually be able to fight.

This project and the Schala project would most certainly be incompatible, however it does have some cool ideas so when the compendium is back up I'll talk to the author about trading a few rescources.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 17, 2019, 07:48:52 pm »
Been taking a break for a bit to play the Breath of Fire games again but there is now a shortcut to 1999 after it's unlocked.

Giant's Claw 1999 is finished and I'm halfway through Medina 1999.

There is now a quest in 1999 that will allow the party to raise each stat by a few points one time.

Outsider

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: February 17, 2019, 11:10:20 pm »
I just caught wind of this project, and I am intrigued.  Although in truth, the 1999AD stuff doesn't interest me as much as say, some of the additional things that have been added in earlier versions.

Anyway, I just finished running through the Schala Edition hack, thinking to myself, "this introduces some things I like....but I don't care much for the writing. I wonder if there are other projects with similar aims..." and that's how I found this one.  I have to admit, the extra pieces of flavor text, and the addition of new character comments, made going through a game I've played through dozens of times feel quite a bit refreshing.  Would you consider adding those kinds of little touches to the project?  Say, if you had someone with a firm understanding of what gave SNES dialogue that special "charm," who could emulate said style?

That's not a shameless self-promotion, by the way. I'm just curious if that's a thing you'd consider adding.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: Today at 03:08:08 pm »
This hack has a lot of little flavor things added so it should be right up your alley.

A lot of the good ideas were suggested by other people so if you have some ideas sent them to me and I'll pick and choose.