News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Chrono trigger plus

Started by ThegreatBen, January 22, 2017, 06:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThegreatBen

#300
Chrono is still going to have to go to the factory, watching Joseph's videos shows that it is a huge mess if he is not is the lead, so for a few spots like the prison break and the factory he will still be forced in the lead.

As for the factory being able to skip half of it just shortens an already short game, it would be like being able to skip Flea and Slash and just go straight into the middle door in Magus' castle, however since he helped out quite a bit with bug reports and ideas I'll compromise and make it optional on a low level game and ng+

lexluthermiester


Josephine Lithius

Quote from: ThegreatBen on October 18, 2017, 12:52:47 PMChrono is still going to have to go to the factory, watching Joseph's videos shows that it is a huge mess if he is not is the lead, so for a few spots like the prison break and the factory he will still be forced in the lead.
You... do know that's fixable, right?  It's just a matter of making sure the correct trigger is triggering the correct thing, when activated.  However, making Crono an optional character will still require a bit of work, between editing and playtesting.  Which is exactly why it's on the "wild ambitions" part of my "things I'd like to do/seen done" list, for Chrono Trigger.  Hee hee.

andrewclunn

Quote from: ThegreatBen on October 18, 2017, 12:52:47 PM
Chrono is still going to have to go to the factory, watching Joseph's videos shows that it is a huge mess if he is not is the lead, so for a few spots like the prison break and the factory he will still be forced in the lead.

As for the factory being able to skip half of it just shortens an already short game, it would be like being able to skip Flea and Slash and just go straight into the middle door in Magus' castle, however since he helped out quite a bit with bug reports and ideas I'll compromise and make it optional on a low level game and ng+

I just had an evil idea.  Want to recreate that first play through experience?  Change the password.

Vanya

How about a random password?

Josephine Lithius

A random password?  That seems simple enough to code...  I'd actually coded an RNG script for piano-playing Kilwala hanging out in the Snail Stop, before, to let him play literally any song in the game, at-random (how he does so using only a piano is beyond me)... so, I can't imagine this would be much different.  There would just be more coding involved.

See, the way I'd do it is... at the start of every game, a random number would be generated and set into a counter.  When you get to the Factory, the computers that tell you and receive the password would read the number from the counter and spit out one of X number of lines -- one of which being the classic "Zabie" password.  The complicated part of this would come in actually programming the security computer to recognize and accept the inputs... but, I don't guess it would be that complicated, really.  Just a matter of "if X = Y then go to Z" sort of events.  But, that might go beyond the scope of the hack, so...

Made in China

The number of permutations on that would be very large - you'd better high level it. Generate 4 3 bit numbers - each corresponding to a button (A, B, X, Y, L, R + 2 extra repetitions), and then print the corresponding button in the text. You'll also have to check for that exact same button in from the text for the trigger.

I'm against this idea because of, well, why? Introducing more RNG for that small portion doesn't really contribute to anything. But if you do it, it's best you do it well.

ThegreatBen

Oh my god, who the hell cares!

No offence.

tvtoon

Instead of wasting time in a useless password system, why not bring up the DS version arena or something like that. That would make the game ready for any kind of challenge. ;)

I remember getting items like the Wallet before venturing into battles.

mufasaa

#309
Here's some custom pics I just did real quick if anybody is wanting them, I did it for my xbox to show up.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-5W8H8XYOsVdXJlS3B5bElOV2M

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-5W8H8XYOsVYWdBcGNpeTMzUms


Does anybody happen to have a save file for this game? I was wanting to make gameplay footage when exploring 1999AD

lexluthermiester

Quote from: mufasaa on October 27, 2017, 01:17:43 PM
Here's some custom pics I just did real quick if anybody is wanting them, I did it for my xbox to show up.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-5W8H8XYOsVdXJlS3B5bElOV2M

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-5W8H8XYOsVYWdBcGNpeTMzUms


Does anybody happen to have a save file for this game? I was wanting to make gameplay footage when exploring 1999AD
Those look nice! The title screen looks better than the box art, but with a nice blending filter applied to a higher quality scan it would really good too.

ThegreatBen

@mauron do you have any idea why the party follow is all messed up if Luca is leading when Frog joins?

Mauron

It's possible that the move to PC command used in Frog's grouping is setting him oddly.

Try removing ObjFollow(PC0, Once) in Frog's object and adding a MoveParty that lines them up one tile apart two lines lower.
Mauron wuz here.

Axiphel

Damn Gato just fisted Crono and Marle. He 2 shot us! End game boss status.

ThegreatBen

I didn't want people getting 15 silver points at level 1 just by mashing A, he is quite manageable at level 3-4.

Axiphel

That's cool I just wasn't expecting it. Also, your hack includes MSU-1 already but it seems like it lacks the ability to show the FMVs.  :huh:

ThegreatBen

Yes Qwertymodo asked me not to include them until they are ready, they'll be in future releases though.

qwertymodo

If anybody wants to help speed up the release of the FMV's, what I really need is somebody with CUDA (or other GPGPU library) programming experience.  Trying to fine-tune the best conversion algorithm on a scene-by-scene basis when each frame re-draw is 15+ seconds on some of the algorithms is... frustratingly tedious.   :banghead:

And that's to say nothing of the actual full render time once I get everything set up right...  I think it was over 6 hours with the fastest, most naive reduction algorithm.

lexluthermiester

Quote from: Axiphel on October 29, 2017, 10:21:47 PM
That's cool I just wasn't expecting it. Also, your hack includes MSU-1 already but it seems like it lacks the ability to show the FMVs.  :huh:
Not really that big a problem.

Ben, just finished the game. Had a blast! The 1999 extra's were very interesting. Looking forward to the expanded stuff you hinted at!

Axiphel