News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono trigger plus  (Read 290655 times)

Illuminasty

• View Profile
Re: Chrono trigger plus
« Reply #1060 on: February 07, 2020, 03:57:23 pm »
Encountered a soft lock here after examining the box:

Music still plays and I could even see a NPC get in the room, check the beds and leave, but I can't move or access the menu at all after reading the text. I'm using the Snes9X 1.60 core in Retroarch.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: February 08, 2020, 09:19:02 am »
I'm curious if there's a way to do specific coding then or if there's a 'story' bit that could be used to designate if Glenn is human or not. Or even if it's possible to have a stat that's only read here and there with a bit mask or something. It might be plausible to modify the menu portrait routine to check for that very specific instance and have Glenn's portrait be different.

I was tinkering with some stuff on the portraits ages ago but never got past some bugs, but didn't look into it too hard. I was able to use the same VRAM section for all portraits and have it update when you go to a new character. The problem with that one was the palettes would lag behind by a second which made things a bit awkward. It might be more plausible to have two portraits loaded at once in VRAM and have them update as you scroll behind the scenes so that doesn't happen. That would theoretically give a ton more space in the menu for portraits and such, but that doesn't fix the problem of how much data is tied to the portrait byte.

Maybe it'd be plausible to use a bit mask on the character bytes themselves but that would be a horrendous amount of code to fix if that did happen.. And this game is very scarce on any free RAM either which makes adding or modifying things kind of difficult.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: February 08, 2020, 10:17:10 am »
I'm honored,  the mmx3 Zero project is what all other hacks should aspire to.

I am still a little worried about the disappearing Ayla bug, can I get you to explicitly confirm that as of the last build that she rejoins after the campfire scene?

I completed the quest with Ayla and she returned, now I'll try doing it without her in the party prior and make sure she isn't added.

February 08, 2020, 10:19:09 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Minor issue.  Did you mean for the rozenFlame to be FrozenFlame?

February 08, 2020, 10:23:21 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
The name doesn't show up right if / when you beat OR steal it via charm from Lavos.  BTW, may want to add something to the script after the Ocean Palace scene to remove it from your inventory, otherwise you can go fight Lavos later, and still get the new ending.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 10:23:21 am by andrewclunn »

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: February 08, 2020, 10:40:24 am »
Thanks Andrew, with Vinesauce streaming it its getting about 100 downloads a day so I want people to get something as bug free as possible.

@Illuminasty thanks I'll fix that asap.

@Justin3009 I know that Mauron is looking into a character graphics swap hack, I dont know the status of it but I can tell you that I am not short on RAM I have about 200 unused addresses left.

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: February 08, 2020, 06:45:22 pm »
I was tinkering with some stuff on the portraits ages ago but never got past some bugs, but didn't look into it too hard. I was able to use the same VRAM section for all portraits and have it update when you go to a new character. The problem with that one was the palettes would lag behind by a second which made things a bit awkward. It might be more plausible to have two portraits loaded at once in VRAM and have them update as you scroll behind the scenes so that doesn't happen. That would theoretically give a ton more space in the menu for portraits and such, but that doesn't fix the problem of how much data is tied to the portrait byte.

Part of my planned approach for this whole thing was to load character portraits one at a time, but that lag issue could be a problem.

There's one byte that would control which form a character is in. The original idea was designed with just Frog in mind, but expanding it to PC bitflags just made more sense. Depending on how it's checked, there are also some unused PC stat bitflags I could use instead.

Changing one of this flags would load from a second set of sprite data and portraits.
Mauron wuz here.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: February 08, 2020, 09:27:28 pm »
I suppose the easiest way to accommodate this is to create a second data set in warrior workshop?

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: February 08, 2020, 09:29:07 pm »
Probably manually. Plugin support is an extra hurdle for later.
Mauron wuz here.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: February 08, 2020, 11:34:54 pm »
Sorry for the late response, the bosses from the DS I was thinking of as follows (with the exception of Dream Devourer as I can imagine it would be too difficult to add that one).

Once-King Dalton
Steel Shade/Alabaster Shade/Crimson Shade

Once-King Dalton actually hold some importance due to certain foreshadowing (unlike the rest of the DS bosses except Dream Devourer).

Version 1:
My idea is maybe work on a similar premise of how Dalton ended up there inside some type dimensional entrapment, but can be accessed in 1999 AD since you made that available. Since Once-King Dalton was a joke in this bossfight I was thinking he would be more of a challenge if he was paired up with all three shades.

Version 2:
Another way to reach Once-King Dalton is adding another Time Portal in the End of Time after you reach a certain point in the game.

Also having all four bosses on one (Small) dungeon map would save a lot of space for the romhack as well since the original game had them all separated with their own maps (which would take alot of space I think). It would make for a very tough, but optional battle and since all four bosses just require some palette changes it shouldn't be too difficult I would think.

Alternate:

The Shades are not that important honestly if just a Beefed Up version of Once-King Dalton would be interesting.

Regarding Dream Devourer again:

Actually there maybe a way to add him, but it may require deleting one of the endings that no one would care about if it meant squeezing him in for the space required (assuming you can do that to original rom content without corrupting it). So that way nothing else is sacrificed in this romhack just for that Dream Devourer.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 12:05:56 am by Kallisto »

epicswagman

• View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: February 10, 2020, 03:51:17 pm »
this romhack is totally dope but i need pointers on bonus content. i would never have known about the perma heroes medal effect if not for people telling vinesauce last night. is there anything i can do with the dinosaur area in 1999 after i beat the shit out of the dactyl?

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: February 10, 2020, 06:02:31 pm »
Ya, go back to 65mil and convince the reptites to work there (hint, certain parties are more persuasive than others), this will allow you access to the computer in 1999 Arris dome that let's you permanently boost your stats using the chips you've found.

And if you're taking part in the stream tell Vinny to buy the damn drone in the West city pawn shop.

Sorry for the late response, the bosses from the DS I was thinking of as follows (with the exception of Dream Devourer as I can imagine it would be too difficult to add that one).

Once-King Dalton
Steel Shade/Alabaster Shade/Crimson Shade

Once-King Dalton actually hold some importance due to certain foreshadowing (unlike the rest of the DS bosses except Dream Devourer).

Version 1:
My idea is maybe work on a similar premise of how Dalton ended up there inside some type dimensional entrapment, but can be accessed in 1999 AD since you made that available. Since Once-King Dalton was a joke in this bossfight I was thinking he would be more of a challenge if he was paired up with all three shades.

Version 2:
Another way to reach Once-King Dalton is adding another Time Portal in the End of Time after you reach a certain point in the game.

Also having all four bosses on one (Small) dungeon map would save a lot of space for the romhack as well since the original game had them all separated with their own maps (which would take alot of space I think). It would make for a very tough, but optional battle and since all four bosses just require some palette changes it shouldn't be too difficult I would think.

Alternate:

The Shades are not that important honestly if just a Beefed Up version of Once-King Dalton would be interesting.

Regarding Dream Devourer again:

Actually there maybe a way to add him, but it may require deleting one of the endings that no one would care about if it meant squeezing him in for the space required (assuming you can do that to original rom content without corrupting it). So that way nothing else is sacrificed in this romhack just for that Dream Devourer.

I'm mostly doing refining now but I'll consider it when I get more time.

epicswagman

• View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: February 13, 2020, 12:48:54 am »
Ya, go back to 65mil and convince the reptites to work there (hint, certain parties are more persuasive than others), this will allow you access to the computer in 1999 Arris dome that let's you permanently boost your stats using the chips you've found.

And if you're taking part in the stream tell Vinny to buy the damn drone in the West city pawn shop.

I'm mostly doing refining now but I'll consider it when I get more time.
man thanks i totally forgot you added the reptite village
also as a side note maybe you could go and watch all of vinny's streams of the mod so far when you have free time to look for typos bugs and maybe new ideas. or perhaps someone here would be willing to make a bunch of highlights for that and/or explain a bunch of the issues seen there. i would but im not the guy to be doing that cuz i suck

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: February 13, 2020, 10:05:45 pm »
I've been following it, it's been a tremendous help in improving this project, there will be a new version up soon based on feedback from the stream.

And good news I've figured out how to adjust overworld tile properties easily so using the Epoch in 1999 is going to be coming soon.

epicswagman

• View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: February 14, 2020, 01:44:56 am »
I've been following it, it's been a tremendous help in improving this project, there will be a new version up soon based on feedback from the stream.

And good news I've figured out how to adjust overworld tile properties easily so using the Epoch in 1999 is going to be coming soon.
damn thats good to hear!  :thumbsup:

Pape29018

• View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: February 14, 2020, 08:15:03 am »
The original game didn't allow relics/accessories to be sold, they should be sellable.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: February 14, 2020, 12:54:01 pm »
Newest version is up, fixed a lot of things from watching the Vinesauce stream.

Improved maps for a few places in 1999, changed the Thunderdome so that losing is possible without gameover, and tweaked a few of the weak dialog spots.

February 14, 2020, 01:56:58 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
The original game didn't allow relics/accessories to be sold, they should be sellable.

You could do this as of the last version,  though they all sell for 1G.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 01:56:58 pm by ThegreatBen »

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: February 14, 2020, 06:41:42 pm »
Newest version is up, fixed a lot of things from watching the Vinesauce stream.
Didn't see that, got a link?

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: February 14, 2020, 07:57:05 pm »
Sure

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlc94szfcNDGBOFNkNjbqydgfeBPjzqgh

Though keep in mind his version is a few releases outdated.

bilb

• View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: February 15, 2020, 05:26:56 pm »
I'm trying the newest version that just came out and I can't seem to progress past the exit of Lab 16. I cannot walk East of the exit at all, just a little bit North. Did I miss something?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 01:05:57 pm by bilb »

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: February 16, 2020, 01:19:02 pm »
I'm trying the newest version that just came out and I can't seem to progress past the exit of Lab 16. I cannot walk East of the exit at all, just a little bit North. Did I miss something?

That should have been fixed, are you playing 2.3.6?

2.3.5 was up for about a day with a messed up 2300ad map.

gogokain

• View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: February 16, 2020, 03:12:55 pm »
I picked this up a couple of days ago because I started my gf on the original, and ended up jonesing for some new Chrono action myself. Came here looking for a solution to the map issue in 2300AD... very unfortunate that I downloaded the patch during that tiny window! I'll leave some feedback since I'm here already. If these are already known, sorry, I can't read the whole thread. I'm using all except for the menu music and autorun patches.

-Magus is at The End of Time from the first time I arrive. He asks to come along, if I say yes, the character select screen opens, but he isn't an option. I assume this isn't supposed to happen?

-Not sure if this is intentional or how much you care about balance, but you can sneak past the minions to the left of the entrance in the Cult of Lavos, where there's a blob guarding a staircase. This blob's script or whatever seemingly makes it impossible to lose to him, so you can just run down and back up the stairs to get him to respawn and grind effectively for quite some time, quickly becoming a small god very early in the game.

-Ioka Village trader dialogue refers to "Stone Fist" instead of "Stone Arm."