News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Un-Worked Designs: Working Designs minus bullshit difficulty (Latest: Lunar 2)  (Read 320607 times)

ifightdragons

• View Profile
Leo: "Hiro, I know a good man when I see one..."
Ruby: "I bet you do..."

How in the world this is homophobic, is beyond me... It's just harmless banter, surely not meant to be offensive in any way, shape or form.

Even family friendly shows like Modern Family will pull far more edgy "gay jokes" than this, and often at that.

How about not being offended by everything, and interpret things in the worst possible light? I'm 99 % sure neither the translators or original developers meant any harm.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
thanks to the gay jokes i've headcanoned leo as being actually gay. thanks victor ireland for the canon gay rep, i feel seen :)
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

lhalves2018

• View Profile
Finish Exile II Turboduo.
Thanks to you.

niuus

• View Profile
Leo: "Hiro, I know a good man when I see one..."
Ruby: "I bet you do..."

Homophobic joke? Trying to read that as homophobic is way too much of what is wrong today with cancel culture.  :huh:

I really hope this doesn't end in yet another Goemon situation. Fragile mindsets finding everything offensive is permeating even to this awesome hobby.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
considering nobody had talked about it in 2 months, and the fact that the game's been out for 26 years, i doubt it's a problem
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Kallisto

• View Profile
I got a question, but was the PS1 version's script of Lunar 1 and 2 comparatively the same as the script in the Sega CD versions? I know a certain book in Vane in Lunar 1 was connected to Lunar 2 (the ps1 version), but that was the only the Japanese version (least I thought I read that somewhere).

Also whats up with the entirely different story segments in Lunar 1 Sega CD? I noticed a lot of things in that version that isn't even present in the PS1 version.

Is it worth playing both versions to get a full experience of it? Then there was Legend and Harmony with its own additions...

I only played the PS1 version.

Also I'm of the opinion I saw nothing wrong with the ramped up difficulty, personally I would find a RPG incredibly boring if it was too easy so I hope there will be two patches that is for the script or gameplay. Lunar Silver Star Harmony wasn't well received for its gameplay as being way too easy, and this is one thing I think WD did alright in.

I read Ghaleon turned into a major joke of a final boss in Harmony, and he doesn't even use most of his special abilities at all.

travel27

• View Profile
I think 7th Saga is a good example of a game ruined by the localization team. I've played the retail US version and the hack that 'rolls back' to the JP stats and there's no doubt the game was destroyed by Enix when they brought it over.

I have beaten 7th Saga twice but it is a legit tough game, especially early on.  It gets a little more manageable as you go on though.  But I really don't get people who say Lunar 1/2 for the psx were "BS" tough.  I beat both games twice, never had any issue, and it's hard for me to see where the issue was.  I think both had very reasonable difficulty.  Maybe it is people running from too many battles?  Then of course bosses will be tough.  I got into battle with every enemy I saw and never ran and had no issues.

June 24, 2021, 02:31:14 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
considering nobody had talked about it in 2 months, and the fact that the game's been out for 26 years, i doubt it's a problem

It has happened before....People go back decades ago and complain about things often.  The actor who played Zack Morris apologized for his Native American costume in one of the episodes, that was the early 90s.  Apu from the Simpsons has been around since the early 90s too, but only NOW is his character an issue.  After 30+ years....Many more examples.

Viewer

• View Profile
It has happened before....People go back decades ago and complain about things often.  The actor who played Zack Morris apologized for his Native American costume in one of the episodes, that was the early 90s.  Apu from the Simpsons has been around since the early 90s too, but only NOW is his character an issue.  After 30+ years....Many more examples.

This is why you never apologize to people like these, ever - all it does is give them the moral justification for them to bury you. You stand your ground and explain your reasoning - or if you can, don't even bother interacting with them. If they throw around accusations of "systemic" anything, just focus on the facts.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Not trying to bury the current convo or anything but...

I've been playing Arc the Lad over the past few years and they seem generally the same as the Japanese versions, with some minor adjustments, UI improvements, digitized artwork for portraits in 1.
I remember reading once that thanks to being given all the Arc the Lad titles at once, Working Designs basically didn't have time to add anything.  Apparently Ireland wanted to though, I believe the talk came from him.

CO_Andy

• View Profile
This is why you never apologize to people like these, ever - all it does is give them the moral justification for them to bury you. You stand your ground and explain your reasoning - or if you can, don't even bother interacting with them. If they throw around accusations of "systemic" anything, just focus on the facts.
Heaven forbid that those who aren't in the majority have a voice on their representation in media concocted by said majority.

julayla

• View Profile
So I played a bit of the English Rayearth game and to be honest...the voice acting...it's not really good. I hope they can at least provide a real Undub with the proper subtitles one day.

Kallisto

• View Profile
I have beaten 7th Saga twice but it is a legit tough game, especially early on.  It gets a little more manageable as you go on though.  But I really don't get people who say Lunar 1/2 for the psx were "BS" tough.  I beat both games twice, never had any issue, and it's hard for me to see where the issue was.  I think both had very reasonable difficulty.  Maybe it is people running from too many battles?  Then of course bosses will be tough.  I got into battle with every enemy I saw and never ran and had no issues.

Same here, I never had any issues with Lunar's difficulty and I've beaten those games plenty of times when I was younger.

I can't speak for the SEGA CD versions however.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Apu from the Simpsons has been around since the early 90s too, but only NOW is his character an issue.  After 30+ years....Many more examples.
I have an Indian friend who has never mentioned Apu being an offensive character.
But then again I haven't watch a new episode in about a decade (and him maybe close to two decades), so I don't know if it's an issue with the content in newer episodes.
(I wouldn't be surprised, I remember watching one of those (relative to me) "newer" episodes where Bart cut out the Land-O-Lakes (or some parody of it) logo Native American girl and flipped her breasts, and I was just thinking "wow, that is a Family Guy level of racially/sexually insensitive joke. The Simpsons I remember watching were a little more considerate than that.")
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018