News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Un-Worked Designs: Working Designs minus bullshit difficulty (Latest: Lunar 2)  (Read 290884 times)

ifightdragons

• View Profile
Can you just make your download links in the original post blue, please

Some of us know what the internet has been up to now and just expect links to be blue, ok

I second this, in addition to clear instructions on how to install the patches correctly.

As of right now, most people who seek these out, won't get them to work.
The difficulty of patching these was even mentioned on an episode of My Life in Gaming.

That being said, the work put into these is simply fantastic.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 06:55:39 am by ifightdragons »

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
I second this, in addition to clear instructions on how to install the patches correctly.

As of right now, most people who seek these out, won't get them to work.

The difficulty of patching these was even mentioned on an episode of My Life in Gaming.

Opening the readme file in WordPad rather than NotePad ought to be said. NotePad turns it into an un-word-wrappable mess. Most people are gonna default to NotePad.

It's only slightly easier to read in WordPad.
Yamero~~!

ifightdragons

• View Profile
Opening the readme file in WordPad rather than NotePad ought to be said. NotePad turns it into an un-word-wrappable mess. Most people are gonna default to NotePad.

It's only slightly easier to read in WordPad.

The problem isn't reading the instructions.

The challenge is actually getting the automatic patching to work on any or most available dumps out there.
And then the next challenge is actually understanding the manual patching steps. It's very vague and convoluted.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
The problem isn't reading the instructions.

The challenge is actually getting the automatic patching to work on any or most available dumps out there.
And then the next challenge is actually understanding the manual patching steps. It's very vague and convoluted.

I'd say both are valid concerns.
Yamero~~!

ifightdragons

• View Profile
I'd say both are valid concerns.

That's fair enough. I'm on a PC with Windows so I just open the .txt file with regular old NotePad and it works as expected.
The big problem is actually understanding and getting the steps right for most of the patches.

It's such a well-known issue with these patches that most people just give up eventually. Easy to find frustrated people by just a quick Google search.
And like I said, it was already mentioned on an episode of My Life in Gaming as a extremely convoluted process.

kaine23

• View Profile
That's fair enough. I'm on a PC with Windows so I just open the .txt file with regular old NotePad and it works as expected.
The big problem is actually understanding and getting the steps right for most of the patches.

It's such a well-known issue with these patches that most people just give up eventually. Easy to find frustrated people by just a quick Google search.
And like I said, it was already mentioned on an episode of My Life in Gaming as a extremely convoluted process.

exactly.

AC39

• View Profile
Re: Un-Worked Designs: Working Designs minus bullshit difficulty (Latest: Lunar 2)
« Reply #486 on: September 15, 2020, 03:24:26 pm »
When I read through this thread, I was intimated to try these patches, as it seemed many people were having technical issues. I decided last night to go ahead and try anyway and… it worked! It was so easy, I didn't even need the instructions. I'm so sorry to hear so many people are having issues, here is what I did…

1. Downloaded the correct patch for the BIN/IMG file size of my ROM.

2. Used MultiPatch (macOS) to apply the XDELTA patch to the BIN/IMG.

3. Replaced the old .CUE with the new .CUE and .CCD provided with the patch.

That's it! Worked for me. I have both versions of the ROM, and can confirm both versions of the patch worked on their respective ROMs, and loaded without issues in Genplus GX on my Wii. I have no idea why it worked for me when so many others are struggling, but hopefully there is something I said that might help someone else get this working for themselves, or at least, convince them to try :)

Thank-you so much Ms. Tea!!!

gmipf

• View Profile
Is there a reason why you don't add those patches to the romhacking database?

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Been wondering that myself. They seem good enough.

FCandChill

• View Profile
Been wondering that myself. They seem good enough.
Me too. What romsets the disk images came from would help as well, as it's apparent a lot of people are having trouble tracking down the right disk images.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Are any of them too large to add?  CD game patches can easily run into that issue.

ifightdragons

• View Profile
Me too. What romsets the disk images came from would help as well, as it's apparent a lot of people are having trouble tracking down the right disk images.

This. A thousand times, this!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 06:24:27 am by ifightdragons »

FCandChill

• View Profile
Are any of them too large to add?  CD game patches can easily run into that issue.

If it's a space issue, the staff let's you host patches on external sites, like here...
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2795/

Additionally, a script could be made to insert the dialogue, insert the patches, etc. but it's a little to late to do that...

As for the file host, Mediafire, you can do worse, but you could do better. I suggest archive.org.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 10:47:14 pm by FCandChill »

Flashtrickstar

• View Profile
Eyyyyy! Awesome stuff here! Really appreciate you guys' efforts to fix these games up to be more fair. Hopefully you can give Silhouette Mirage this treatment since Working Designs massively screwed things over when porting it from the Saturn to the PSX.

kvachu

• View Profile
Hello!

I just finished the Un-Worked version, and honestly, I don't know what to think of it. It went quite smooth, almost too easy. I even started the fight with Ghaleon without replenishing HP and MP to the team after the fight with Xenobia. While giving Royce the final blow all my characters had full HP. The difficulty of all the bosses before the final 3 is not worth mentioning.
I still appreciate the work on reverting things back to JAP version, but when I reflect on my playthrough I'm starting to think, that turning the difficulty up by Working Design wasn't such a bad idea.

Anyway, now I'm gonna play the official WD's LSSSC because I want to record it for my YT channel, and If I manage to finish it, I will post my thoughts. The last time I played this version more than 10 years ago, and I stopped playing after reaching Pao. Don't remember why I stopped playing it, but for sure it wasn't the difficulty level.

Once again I want to say, that this hard work is much appreciated, but if I bought this game in its release times with the JAP version stats, I think I might be a little disappointed.

ps. Don't know if it's this version's issue or RetroArch's, but during the disk change the game freezes. To pass this moment I saved the game to the memory card right before disk change, opened the game in ePSXe, loaded the game, and in ePSXe disk change worked. I did save to MCR in ePSXe, then used this MCR back in RetroArch. If not the universal format for MCR in emulation I think I'd be screwed in RetroArch...
This was the only issue I encountered.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 10:30:37 pm by kvachu »

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
Another game they released here in the states that should get the Un-Worked Designs treatment is Thunder Force V for the PSX, they made the game way too hard when they brought it over here.

I still would like to see Silhouette Mirage get the same treatment as well.

swight

• View Profile
The Readme file for the Lunar Silver Star Story Complete(PSX) patch has incorrect boundaries for splitting the .bin. The length of one of the tracks stated is longer than all the tracks combined for disc 1 for example. I also had an issue where splitting based on my cue file yielded different results for boundaries than the redump image. this was after converting from a 614,666,976 byte .img file so there may have been errors in conversion to bin/cue.Cue File from .img preconversion for disk 1.

FILE "Lunar Silver Star Story Complete CD1.img" BINARY
   TRACK 1 MODE2/2352
   INDEX 1 00:00:00
   TRACK 2 AUDIO
   INDEX 1 54:50:22
   TRACK 3 AUDIO
   INDEX 0 57:18:69
   INDEX 1 57:20:69

gunraidan

• View Profile
So I was playing Popful Mail and it freezes when the lady from Tree Sun Village talks about her stolen wedding ring from
Spoiler:
the Badger Bandits.
I didn't care much since it was just a side quests to be avoided. But playing through the game further, it freezes again in the cutscene where
Spoiler:
Slick uses his bat dropping bombs to blow up a rock and gets himself stuck which results in Mail calling him the r-word.

Is this a known issue with the patch or the Mega SD? Or did I just get a bad ISO?

EDIT - Had to use a different ISO with the patch already installed. Works perfect now.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 04:21:22 pm by gunraidan »

ifightdragons

• View Profile
So I was playing Popful Mail and it freezes when the lady from Tree Sun Village talks about her stolen wedding ring from
Spoiler:
the Badger Bandits.
I didn't care much since it was just a side quests to be avoided. But playing through the game further, it freezes again in the cutscene where
Spoiler:
Slick uses his bat dropping bombs to blow up a rock and gets himself stuck which results in Mail calling him the r-word.

Is this a known issue with the patch or the Mega SD? Or did I just get a bad ISO?

EDIT - Had to use a different ISO with the patch already installed. Works perfect now.

That's the problem with patching these games. The patches are made for very specific ISOs that are almost impossible to find, and the instructions are very unclear as to what ISOs will actually work.

The best solution is tracking down pre-patched images, which is problematic when or if the patches get updated.

djroomba

• View Profile
Hey,

Not sure if this thread gets much traffic still but I thought I would ask just the same.

Does anyone know the offsets in hex for MP Values and/or Character Stats? Or if there is a program to toy with Lunar SSSC?

I will often jump into PSX/GBA games that I like to play on my phone and customize things that I always found limiting in the original games. For Lunar specifically I wanted to cut MP values by half because I remember constantly using MP items in the game and wanted to circumvent this. If anyone knows some offsets for things like values and stats, I would greatly appreciate some info. Thanks.