News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Un-Worked Designs: Working Designs minus bullshit difficulty (Latest: Lunar 2)  (Read 144800 times)

arromdee

• View Profile
Any chance of a version of the Exile/Exile 2 patch that decensors the game, so "Klispins" are Christians, drug references kept, etc.?

metalmight

• View Profile
Would be so great if you could do Shining Wisdom. Are there any other Working Designs games that could be patched?

Special T

• View Profile
Thanks for all your hard work on these hacks!

I stumbled across a youtube video from My Life in Gaming that talks about several popular rom hacks and he spends a decent amount of time (25:08 to 29:43) talking about your hacks.

twinfami

• View Profile
Anyone know how to apply these to the ReDump set? I don't see any clear and concise instructions on how to do so without a bunch of conversion.

The_Atomik_Punk!

• Nobody Rules these Streets at Night but Me!!!
    • View Profile
Anyone know how to apply these to the ReDump set? I don't see any clear and concise instructions on how to do so without a bunch of conversion.

I'd also like clear instructions on how to apply these patches to ReDump images. I've already tried (unsuccessfully) with multiple games (Exile, Popful Mail, etc), and have wasted numerous Taiyo Yuden discs trying to burn them to work on real hardware.

I'm running low on my stock of physical media, so would appreciate a reliable method of getting these awesome patches to work with the most accurate and readily available disc images(ReDump set).

My Life in Gaming recently featured Supper's Un-worked Design patches in a recent video, and also spoke of difficulty in getting them to work reliably: https://youtu.be/SFN972KabBQ?t=1579

Seta

• View Profile

I've been racking my brain trying to make them work and finally found a quick, clean way of doing it without crap software like Daemon Tools and UltraISO.

- Use this Python tool to merge all .bin files into one bin/cue pair: https://github.com/putnam/binmerge You have to install Python for Windows (I can't really say how to make this step in Mac), put the .bin files and .cue file in the same folder as binmerge, hold the Shift key and right click to open a "Command line in this folder". Type "py binmerge cuefile.cue newbinfile" in the console, without quotes.

- Move the new .bin and .cue files to the patch folder and patch it like the readme says.

- Now you can either play the game in iso/wav format, or you can save up disk space and have a tidy ROM folder converting it to .chd, if the emulator supports it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-ElaPpvBHs5aUd0QUM3c05kY2c/view Download the chdman.exe from the lastest MAME release and you're good to go.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 06:54:24 pm by Seta »

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
I've been racking my brain trying to make them work and finally found a quick, clean way of doing it without crap software like Daemon Tools and UltraISO.

- Use this Python tool to merge all .bin files into one bin/cue pair: https://github.com/putnam/binmerge You have to install Python for Windows (I can't really say how to make this step in Mac), put the .bin files and .cue file in the same folder as binmerge, hold the Shift key and right click to open a "Command line in this folder". Type "py binmerge cuefile.cue newbinfile" in the console, without quotes.

- Move the new .bin and .cue files to the patch folder and patch it like the readme says.

- Now you can either play the game in iso/wav format, or you can save up disk space and have a tidy ROM folder converting it to .chd, if the emulator supports it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-ElaPpvBHs5aUd0QUM3c05kY2c/view Download the chdman.exe from the lastest MAME release and you're good to go.

Thanks for the detailed methodology dude!

Just to be clear, after following these steps, the resulting patched iso/wav files can then be burned on physical media (say, via imgburn)?

Seta

• View Profile
Thanks for the detailed methodology dude!

Just to be clear, after following these steps, the resulting patched iso/wav files can then be burned on physical media (say, via imgburn)?

I don't use physical media, so I can't confirm anything for sure, but it should be fine. That's the format PC Engine CD games come in judging by the (few) dumps I've seen.

pleasejust

• View Profile
Patches that need/create iso/wavs are created by clueless people who don't know what they're doing.

Seta

• View Profile
Patches that need/create iso/wavs are created by clueless people who don't know what they're doing.

That's what I thought when I looked at the process. "Why the hell would I need to convert the game's format to apply a 2KB patch?" But I found a nice tool in the process that's become more useful than I expected, since even some PSX dumps come in several .bin files. :P

The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
That's what I thought when I looked at the process. "Why the hell would I need to convert the game's format to apply a 2KB patch?" But I found a nice tool in the process that's become more useful than I expected, since even some PSX dumps come in several .bin files. :P

Gotta say, I thought the same thing the first time I saw these patches. The changes, while excellent in improving gameplay experiences, are beyond minor regarding the code. Furthermore, for them to not be easily applied in a straightforward manner to the most ubiquitous format of clean dumps (Bin/CUE format) is a bit of a head scratcher to me...

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
Gotta say, I thought the same thing the first time I saw these patches. The changes, while excellent in improving gameplay experiences, are beyond minor regarding the code. Furthermore, for them to not be easily applied in a straightforward manner to the most ubiquitous format of clean dumps (Bin/CUE format) is a bit of a head scratcher to me...
The problem with creating patches for games on optical media is that there are so many different image file formats that one had to be chosen based on certain merits. The difficulties are irrelevant as regardless of which format the author chose for these patches someone was always going to have a problem. So just figure it out and go from there. You might have to find the proper image for whatever patch you're interested in.