News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Un-Worked Designs: Working Designs minus bullshit difficulty (Latest: Lunar 2)  (Read 80001 times)

MHzBurglar

• View Profile
So how do I install the Popful Mail patch to the .iso?

The easiest way to apply the patch is to use a Windows computer and run the included BAT scripts.

• Grab a bin/cue copy of the game (or make one using IMGBurn if you're lucky enough to own an original copy of the game)
  • Put it in the same folder as the patch/tools you got from the first post of this thread.
  • Delete your original CUE file (you won't need it)
  • Drag and drop your BIN file onto binpatch.bat (or run binpatch.bat "FileName.bin" from a command prompt, where "FileName.bin" is the name of your bin file.
  • Use the included "PopFulMailUnWorked.Cue" file to burn your image to a CD using a program like IMGBurn.

The batch script will automatically convert the game to ISO + raw WAV (with the correct CRC on the ISO) and patch it using XDelta, so you don't have to mess around with any of it.  The included CUE file is already set up to handle the ISO + WAV copy of the game generated by the script, so you can just convert+patch and burn.

If do you want to manually patch the ISO with XDelta though, there's a nice GUI version of it you can get at https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/598/ which will eliminate the need to mess about with the commandline.

Volkaru

• View Profile
Thank you so much for your work!
I had a question. Would it be possible to transfer the higher-quality soundtrack found in the Saturn version of Eternal Blue Complete over to the PSX version? I attempted it myself a year or so ago but didn't get very far due to my lack of coding knowledge.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
That's probably a lot more difficult than you're making it sound. It's very likely that the PSX version uses that console's internal sound hardware and the Saturn version uses streamed audio, meaning that a rewrite of the entire sound engine would be in order in that case.

Sara-chan

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Only one "Human"
    • View Profile
    • Sara's Homepage
I can confirm these things. The Saturn version of Lunar 2 uses streamed audio, and the PSX version is sequenced. Personally, I like both.
Ooh, they said this planet was cold, but it's sooo hot here!

The_Atomik_Punk!

• Nobody Rules these Streets at Night but Me!!!
    • View Profile
Sorry guys, I need some help applying these patches to Bin/Cue files.

When I attempt to drag the .bin files onto the included binpatch.bat, the cmd prompt briefly opens and closes, and no resulting new file is produced. Same thing if trying to use binchunk.exe. Manually running a cmd prompt to patch the .bin is proving elusive for me to figure out- any assistance would be appreciated!

*EDIT* Is that all there is to patch the .bin file? That is to say, dragging the .bin onto the binpatch.bat? How would I know it worked, because as it stands, the cmd.exe is open for less than a second and closes, and the original .bin is not changed in name or anything. Is this correct, and I should proceed to burn the game with the included .cue? Would I need to rename the .bin to something specific first, and would there be a way of verifying that the patching was successful?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 07:24:41 am by The_Atomik_Punk! »

Ms. Tea

• View Profile
Reading back a few pages, apparently Ms. Tea's patch is only supposed to be necessary for real hardware, and Supper's version is supposed to work fine in emulators? I hadn't realized this until now, so even though I was planning to play in an emulator I had held off on even trying Supper's version. However, now that I have tried his version in OpenEmu (Genesis Plus), I'm getting the same kinds of skipping/desync issues during the opening. Any ideas on what I could do to fix this?

edit: I did manage to get it working with no desyncs in the opening in Kega Fusion, but only on Windows since the OS X version of Fusion is broken on current versions. And Fusion has its own issues anyway, so I think I'll just continue waiting until Ms. Tea releases a fixed version of her patch.

I'll try to get this fixed sometime, sorry I haven't had the chance to so far. I've been thinking of techniques to make the patch more robust and work better with different BIN/CUE sets.

OpenEmu's Genesis Plus GX core appears to intentionally simulate seek times, so it has the same bug as on real hardware. Like you mentioned, Kega Fusion doesn't have it. It's possible to get Kega working on recent versions of OS X, but it's a total pain to do. :/

preta

• View Profile
I'll try to get this fixed sometime, sorry I haven't had the chance to so far. I've been thinking of techniques to make the patch more robust and work better with different BIN/CUE sets.

OpenEmu's Genesis Plus GX core appears to intentionally simulate seek times, so it has the same bug as on real hardware. Like you mentioned, Kega Fusion doesn't have it. It's possible to get Kega working on recent versions of OS X, but it's a total pain to do. :/

I ended up playing through the whole game in Kega in a dual-boot setup, so don't worry about it on my account!

The patch worked perfectly with no issues - just some slight screen tearing on Kega's end that I could never quite completely get rid of.

Ms. Tea

• View Profile
Can everyone here who's been having trouble using my patch reply with the following things, please?

• Whether they're using a BIN/CUE or IMG/CCD/CUE set]
  • The file size (in bytes) of the .bin or .img file
  • A copy of the entire CUE sheet from their copy

Looking at two different copies of the game I've encountered, they're off in size by 151 sectors. It looks like one of the two has a bad pregap leading up to the final audio track, but I'm wondering if there are other differences that I might encounter.

preta

• View Profile
I had been using ISO/WAV/CUE. Would my CUE still be of use?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 01:01:02 pm by preta »

The_Atomik_Punk!

• Nobody Rules these Streets at Night but Me!!!
    • View Profile
Hey there, having trouble with your patches, would love to get them to work. Below is as an example Popful Mail:

1. BIN/CUE
2. 513,912,000 byte (490MB Popful Mail)
3. I can't seem to figure out how to attach the .CUE file in the forum interface!

*EDIT*

3. FILE "Popful Mail (U).bin" BINARY
    TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
      INDEX 01 00:00:00
    TRACK 02 AUDIO
      INDEX 00 39:47:27
      INDEX 01 39:49:27
    TRACK 03 AUDIO
      INDEX 00 42:09:57
      INDEX 01 42:11:57
    TRACK 04 AUDIO
      INDEX 00 44:35:29
      INDEX 01 44:37:29
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:40:58 pm by The_Atomik_Punk! »

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
Can everyone here who's been having trouble using my patch reply with the following things, please?

• Whether they're using a BIN/CUE or IMG/CCD/CUE set]
  • The file size (in bytes) of the .bin or .img file
  • A copy of the entire CUE sheet from their copy

Looking at two different copies of the game I've encountered, they're off in size by 151 sectors. It looks like one of the two has a bad pregap leading up to the final audio track, but I'm wondering if there are other differences that I might encounter.
1. Both of the dumps I tried are BIN/CUE
2. File size of Dump 1: 557 MB (584,135,664 bytes); File size of Dump 2: 557 MB (584,135,664 bytes)
3. CUE sheets: http://www.bwass.org/bucket/Lunar2SCDCUEs.zip (To RHDN staff, please note that these are just CUEs and not BINs. You cannot play the game with just these)

These are the most two common dumps on the internet. I can't say in specifics where they're from, but they are from popular sites. Dump 2 is a Darkwater dump that needs to be uncompressed as an ECM file. Apparently, the Darkwater dumps are supposed to be the most accurate out there; "It matches the Darkwater database to be a perfect 1:1 replica of the retail disc," according to the place I got it from.

(I hope this is informing enough without being too precise.)
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
3. I can't seem to figure out how to attach the .CUE file in the forum interface!

Just copy/paste the contents of the file. A cue file is just a text file with a list of tracks.

Ms. Tea

• View Profile
1. Both of the dumps I tried are BIN/CUE
2. File size of Dump 1: 557 MB (584,135,664 bytes); File size of Dump 2: 557 MB (584,135,664 bytes)
3. CUE sheets: http://www.bwass.org/bucket/Lunar2SCDCUEs.zip (To RHDN staff, please note that these are just CUEs and not BINs. You cannot play the game with just these)

These are the most two common dumps on the internet. I can't say in specifics where they're from, but they are from popular sites. Dump 2 is a Darkwater dump that needs to be uncompressed as an ECM file. Apparently, the Darkwater dumps are supposed to be the most accurate out there; "It matches the Darkwater database to be a perfect 1:1 replica of the retail disc," according to the place I got it from.

(I hope this is informing enough without being too precise.)

This is exactly what I needed, thank you! Your two CUE sheets line up with each other. They indicate a total size of 248357 sectors, whereas my original copy of the game is 248507 sectors. One of the copies of the game I've seen circulating online aligns with my copy, while the other is a 248357-sector disc like yours is. I'm unclear whether that indicates that there are two Working Designs builds, or if one of the two rips is misaligned sector-wise. Two builds is very unlikely though, because 100% of the files between the two rips match, as does the bootsector.

How are you patching the game, by the way? Are you applying the .xdelta3 file directly to the .bin file, or are you doing something else? What tool are you using, and what command if it's a commandline tool?

I had been using ISO/WAV/CUE. Would my CUE still be of use?

My fixed patch specifically targets the BIN from a BIN/CUE or the IMG from an IMG/CCD/CUE set; it won't work with the ISO from an ISO/WAV or ISO/MP3 set like Supper's original one did.

I had a question. Would it be possible to transfer the higher-quality soundtrack found in the Saturn version of Eternal Blue Complete over to the PSX version? I attempted it myself a year or so ago but didn't get very far due to my lack of coding knowledge.

I don't think this is feasible for the PlayStation version... but I'm going to be translating the Saturn version when I'm done with SSS and Supper and I are done with MSL. :) It will probably be at least a year, maybe more, so please be patient - but there will eventually be good news. And I agree with you that the Saturn music is much better!

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
This is exactly what I needed, thank you! Your two CUE sheets line up with each other. They indicate a total size of 248357 sectors, whereas my original copy of the game is 248507 sectors. One of the copies of the game I've seen circulating online aligns with my copy, while the other is a 248357-sector disc like yours is. I'm unclear whether that indicates that there are two Working Designs builds, or if one of the two rips is misaligned sector-wise. Two builds is very unlikely though, because 100% of the files between the two rips match, as does the bootsector.

How are you patching the game, by the way? Are you applying the .xdelta3 file directly to the .bin file, or are you doing something else? What tool are you using, and what command if it's a commandline tool?

I was applying it with xdelta UI. I first tried to turn the game into an ISO/WAV format like Supper outlined, then attempted to apply the patch to the ISO. That didn't work, and it looks like it shouldn't work no matter what 'cause your patch targets a BIN/CUE or ISO/CCD/SUB. Afterword, I tried to apply your patch directly to a BIN/CUE game, directly to the BIN... still no dice. So it looks like the issue is that you're applying to a "pared-down" file of some sort, I guess?

Ms. Tea

• View Profile
I was applying it with xdelta UI. I first tried to turn the game into an ISO/WAV format like Supper outlined, then attempted to apply the patch to the ISO. That didn't work, and it looks like it shouldn't work no matter what 'cause your patch targets a BIN/CUE or ISO/CCD/SUB. Afterword, I tried to apply your patch directly to a BIN/CUE game, directly to the BIN... still no dice. So it looks like the issue is that you're applying to a "pared-down" file of some sort, I guess?

Hmm, okay. And you tried both of the dumps you have? It is meant to be applied directly to the BIN, for a copy that's 584135664 bytes.

I'm going to have to find a more robust way to do this. :/ Some of my more complicated patches (MSL, SSSC for Saturn) are not going to possibly work the ISO/WAV way.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
Maybe you could just make a hotfix for Lunar: Eternal Blue based off of the Darkwater dump? Since that looks like the one everyone is excited about. (I wasn't sure if you had released anything else yet.)

Ms. Tea

• View Profile
The patch I made is designed for an image with the filesize of both your images. Can you confirm that it fails on both of them when applied directly to the BIN, please? If you're familiar with how to calculate MD5 hashes, can you please calculate a hash for both of your BINs and provide those?

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
Just the MD5? I can do that.

Darkwater Lunar: EB - Failed. Applied using xdelta UI, applying the patch directly to the BIN. Error: "xdelta3: unknown secondary compressor ID: XD3_INVALID_INPUT". Retrieved MD5 using HxD: F605F98AE20847AE19E97F2C9562BE9F

"found elsewhere" Lunar: EB - Failed. Applied using xdelta UI, applying the patch directly to the BIN. Error: "xdelta3: unknown secondary compressor ID: XD3_INVALID_INPUT". Retrieved MD5 using HxD: F605F98AE20847AE19E97F2C9562BE9F

Identical failures, identical hashes.

Ms. Tea

• View Profile
Aha! I think I know the problem. The patch I created is using a recent version of xdelta, whereas it looks like xdelta UI is using a 10-year-old build of xdelta. If you download an up-to-date version from here, and replace the xdelta.exe that comes with xdelta UI, it should work: https://github.com/jmacd/xdelta-gpl/releases/tag/v3.0.11

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
Ooh, OK. So it was a user error the entire time... Looks like I need to go and eat some crow. :D Thanks for helping me with this the entire time.

Edit - I downloaded the most recent version of xdelta3 from the GitHub link you directed me to. I deleted xdelta.exe and renamed the new xdelta3 version as "xdelta.exe". Then I placed it in the same folder as xdelta UI. Still getting errors here.

The error messages are identical. I can't seem to find any info on how to use xdelta on games from command prompt on the internet, so I can't try that.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 03:22:02 pm by vivify93 »