News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Un-Worked Designs: Working Designs minus bullshit difficulty (Latest: Lunar 2)  (Read 168978 times)

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Thanks so much for these patches, Supper. I, more than anyone, appreciate proper caps in games. :beer: And now I finally have it in the Lunar duo.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
Yep, still out of sync. I am grateful for these patches though, nonetheless. I have been looking to replay these games, and these make for the perfect opportunity to do so. Thanks again.

Okay, good, that gives me something to go on. I'll see if I can get this fixed soon. Thanks again for helping me out, and hope you enjoy the games!

Thanks so much for these patches, Supper. I, more than anyone, appreciate proper caps in games. :beer: And now I finally have it in the Lunar duo.

Hah, you're welcome. The all caps text really bothered me in these games in particular, perhaps just because it's so rare to see it with an 8x16 font. I'm baffled why WD didn't just ask Game Arts to improve the font, since they were certainly able to get a bajillion other changes implemented.

Meanwhile, I've somehow found myself playing Magic Knight Rayearth for the last few hours. Well, less "playing" and more "listening to", because this game sure loves to talk... (Haven't forgotten about the international Alundra versions, I'll get to those shortly.)

Kallisto

• View Profile
When it comes to Lunar... I know a lot of people prefer TSS over SSSC, but I admittedly know I'd personally really love to see the Complete versions get proper treatment too. I quite like the Sega CD games, but they aren't the ones that got me into the series originally.

I made a suggestion back on the ideas board to restore some of the content back into Lunar 1 PSX version as some of the content can THEORETICALLY be put back in. I noticed that some of the monsters only appeared in the SEGA CD version, but were cut out of the PSX version. I do believe there may be a way to restore them if someone knows how to do it, but this would mean giving these monsters extra frames, and cleaned up sprite graphics to match with the PSX graphics. Also I did notice there was some lesser locations that only appeared in the SEGA CD version as well like the Goddess shrine & Healing Obelisk near the first town of the game, and I think they can be restored too as it would not interfere too much with the game. As for World Map encounters, I'm not sure if that can be redone as I would think that would require some heavy hacking unless someone were to create invisible enemy sprites that you can bump into on the world map, and the world map seems to function the same way as a town or dungeon map. Another possibility would be transferring the PSP ost to replace the PSX ost, I always thought the PSX ost to be pretty weak compared to Lunar 2.

Alas this would all require some heavy hacking though.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 05:36:30 pm by Kallisto »

Recapnation

• View Profile
    • postback.geedorah.com
Meanwhile, I've somehow found myself playing Magic Knight Rayearth for the last few hours. Well, less "playing" and more "listening to", because this game sure loves to talk...

Maybe you find this quote interesting:

Quote from: Tim Trzepacz, WD
I did an awful lot of work on Rayearth over the course of 2 years, including writing software to generate lip flap movements from recorded audio dialog, a map editor to remove extra sprites that caused slowdown, tools to replace audio in the Cinepak movies without recompressing the video (they lost the source video...), and to replace the logo video in the middle with the English language logo, command line tools to generate bitmaps of text place names, to squash them to fit in the allowed number of pixels, and then convert to 16 colors and insert back in the binary, and many, many other things. I think it was one of the best games Sega made for the Saturn, and I suspect that if I didn't keep pushing it, Victor would have dropped it.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Found a spillover issue with Lunar 1. I can't provide a screenshot, but I can provide text.

"Gosh, if you become like
Dyne, I'll want to marry you!
Dragonmasters are so hot!"

The exclamation mark of "you!" spills out of the text box. Maybe change "want to" to "wanna"? I'll report more as I come across them. :)

Also, the loading screen uses the old font, albeit in proper case. Lastly, I'm not sure if the question mark and exclamation mark were moved up to the same baseline as the period, comma, and other letters, but that's less of an issue.

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
Maybe you find this quote interesting:

I'd say he has good taste, although I'm not sure the same can be said of his business sense. A licensed anime game, on the Sega Saturn, in late 1998, after two years of work? There's no way they made any money on that.

Though that reminds me, I came across that guy's resume a long time ago (apparently his server isn't set up right -- that link gives me an insecure connection warning). Honestly, if he'd been employed by a company that wasn't named Working Designs, I'd envy him. I'm sure it was a ton of work, but the stuff he was doing sounds like the kind of thing I'd be able to enjoy...minus the part where you're wrecking someone else's work.

Found a spillover issue with Lunar 1. I can't provide a screenshot, but I can provide text.

"Gosh, if you become like
Dyne, I'll want to marry you!
Dragonmasters are so hot!"

The exclamation mark of "you!" spills out of the text box. Maybe change "want to" to "wanna"? I'll report more as I come across them. :)

Also, the loading screen uses the old font, albeit in proper case. Lastly, I'm not sure if the question mark and exclamation mark were moved up to the same baseline as the period, comma, and other letters, but that's less of an issue.

Thanks, I'll fix that in a bit. I really should have just added automatic overflow detection to my script inserter by now...And wow, can't believe I missed the loading screen font. EB uses a common font for everything, but TSS manages to duplicate the font a ridiculous number of times for every conceivable purpose (the balloon flight, the loading screen, each and every cutscene's subtitles...)

As far as the punctuation goes, I can see where you're coming from. I think the root problem is that the star-shaped pattern used for the dot fits into a 3x3 square instead of a 2x2 one like the period, which makes it appear slightly off no matter what. Right now, the bottom row of the exclamation point's dot extends a pixel below the bottom of the period, but if I move it up a pixel, it instead extends one dot above (and looks too high to me). Here's my earlier comparison post, since it's gotten rather buried by now.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Ohh, I see. I understand now, thanks! :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:15:44 am by vivify93 »

thainferno305

• View Profile
i hate to complain but the lunar silver star and lunar eternal blue arent working pls fix these errors i was enjoying your update on your last patch keep up the good work

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
What specific problems are you having with the patch? I hate to come off as pushy, but how the hell  do you expect us to be able to help you if you don't even tell us what's going on?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 08:19:48 am by Midna »

thainferno305

• View Profile
Moderator Note: The content of this post was erased because you repeated yourself. Edit this post and put in the actual errors you got or a screenshot of them.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 11:03:37 am by MathOnNapkins »

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
I finally updated the Alundra patch to add support for the non-English editions. Get the new version here. I don't have a dump of the French version, so only Italian, German, and Spanish are supported for now. Sorry for taking so long to get it done.

As a little status update, I've actually put off working on MKR for a bit in order to program a tool that should make it significantly easier to make these patches in the future. I've got the basic features implemented and it seems to be working pretty well, so I should be back to more direct hacking work soon enough. I'll probably make a separate topic for it once it's more developed, since it's possibly of use to others.

i hate to complain but the lunar silver star and lunar eternal blue arent working pls fix these errors i was enjoying your update on your last patch keep up the good work

It's fine, but yeah, it kind of helps if I have something to go off of. Make sure if you have an ISO, you're using it on isopatch.bat, and if you have a BIN, you're using it on binpatch.bat. You can also try the manual patching method from the readme to try to see what's going wrong.

thainferno305

• View Profile
when i was patching both lunar 1 and 2 with ppfv3 then i used the epsxe emulator it says error recompile block to large

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
when i was patching both lunar 1 and 2 with ppfv3 then i used the epsxe emulator it says error recompile block to large

These patches are for the Sega CD versions of the Lunar games, not the PlayStation remakes. Sorry. I'll probably do patches for the other versions sooner or later, though.

thainferno305

• View Profile
I did patch the sega cd versions with the ppfv3 I didn't know I used the wrong patching utility

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
I did patch the sega cd versions with the ppfv3 I didn't know I used the wrong patching utility

Last time I checked, ePSXe was a PlayStation emulator...?

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile

He's trying to say he's using ppf-o-matic or some such to patch a Sega Cd game.

You aren't supposed to need a patching utility to install this. You use the included ".bat" file (a 'batch' file format file), which you just drag your .bin file onto. Easy peasy. It spits out the new version at you...I think is how it works?
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
Yet, well known one. And it doesn't play games from any other system, including SegaCD.

It's the emulator. Use Fusion or Gens and you might just have a chance of getting the game to work right.. Just throwing it out there.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Hey, Supper, the line about Lucia calling off the enemies in the Blue Spire is used. It's if you try to grind past level 7 in the Blue Spire. https://lparchive.org/Lunar-Eternal-Blue/Update%2004/ Check it out there.

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
Hey, Supper, the line about Lucia calling off the enemies in the Blue Spire is used. It's if you try to grind past level 7 in the Blue Spire. https://lparchive.org/Lunar-Eternal-Blue/Update%2004/ Check it out there.

Holy hell, why would they even bother? Wow. That's obscure enough that it might be worth mentioning on TCRF anyway, so I'll just add a note to the page for now. Thanks for the info.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
Supper, Thank You for the patches! Very cool of you!