News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Un-Worked Designs: Working Designs minus bullshit difficulty (Latest: Lunar 2)  (Read 153315 times)

DantzB

• View Profile
No need to get rude.
Also Mario 2 is more of a remake than a localization, just like the wonderboy in monster land localization that change all the characters. Hell they ported Mario 2 back to japan as "Mario USA", not many people mention that when flaunting their knowledge of Doki Doki Panic :P.

I honestly sorry if I'm coming across as such, I did remove some stuff here and there that was a bit much. It's a bad first impression.

Mario 2 is a pretty interesting exception, it's been localized so much it's pretty much a new game. But at it's core it's Doki Doki Panic. Really the only thing they did was Mario-fy the game and add a run button.

A better example of localization would probably be the SNES era Square games and some people debate about that heavily too.  At least they didn't stray too much in the gameplay department.

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
Starting work on fixing the stuff I missed in Eternal Blue. Don't know how long that'll take, but I'll look into the non-English versions of Alundra at some point during or after that.

Being hearing impaired, lack of subtitles in voiced scenes annoy the heck out of me too. I don't know how you're gonna add them in though.

Based on a little experimentation, I think the cutscene format is flexible enough that I can just add in the extra graphics and commands to display them without having to adjust much else, but I shouldn't get too far ahead of myself.

When it comes to Lunar... I know a lot of people prefer TSS over SSSC, but I admittedly know I'd personally really love to see the Complete versions get proper treatment too. I quite like the Sega CD games, but they aren't the ones that got me into the series originally.

You know, balance changes are such an interesting topic to me in general when comparing regional versions of games. I've sometimes had suggestions made about (mostly very minor) balance changes for things I've worked on professionally, though rarely did anything make it in. When I worked on Bunny Must Die's official English PC release, though, it was really interesting because I was handed a version with way different balance and various changes compared to the version people knew to begin with, even before the localization process begin.

I wonder how many times stuff like that ended up being a case of that? It certainly has been the case many times, for games that were basically "further finished" for their overseas releases. I find it fascinating.

Edit: vvv Sort of! The PS4 version of Bunny Must Die had a lot of the changes that had been made in the version I worked on, including the Arranged Soundtrack I personally got approval for and directed! Thing is, it also had way, way more changes, too, and it didn't use the English translation I'd worked on at all, opting for a brand-new one instead that has... a much different angle to it.

Heh, my most distinct memory of playing BMD (with the unofficial English patch, years and years ago) is giving up at the final boss after a great deal of agony and probably screaming. Guess I can understand why they might have wanted to tweak that a bit...

Yeah, the Complete versions are a lot more popular, and I'll probably end up taking a look at them sooner or later. I'm not planning these out at all, so we'll see when my interest drifts that way.

While original developers certainly do their own tweaks -- the numerous "International" Final Fantasies are an excellent example -- I'm reasonably certain that in this case, Working Designs was usually the one who asked for the difficulty changes. At the very least, Vic stated that was the case for Exile II, and I doubt that was the only one. By 1996, they'd hired their own programmer and had source-level access to the games, so at that point they were definitely the ones responsible. I do think that for the earlier games, some of the changes might have been done beforehand by the original developer, like how you can only gain one level per battle in the Japanese version of The Silver Star but more than one in the US version.

Wait you seriously are not aware of this? Yeah game rentals are still illegal in Japan. Here is an article on it.

You were aware that it was a standard industry practice for the US releases of games to be altered to be harder right? One infamous example is Battletoads, but the entire video game industry did this at the time. If you weren't aware that might explain why you think this is a WD thing. Here is a post on NeoGAF all about it.

He is getting a "hate torrent" not for the patch itself it is what he says in his opening, notes and other posts. If he was respectful to the original producer of the translation (You know the people who put their money where their mouth is and put in the work to bring the games over and do the voice acting in a time when that was a brand new thing.) no one would complain. As the old wisdom states: "Don't start none, won't be none."

Personally I actually like the patches themselves. The sole problem is Supper's attitude coupled with what seems to be a lack of knowledge of the history of the industry at this time. I can also honestly see wanting to go back and do a more literal translation too, but you can't forget this game is over 20 years old and that the industry was different then. Shitting all over a team made up of enthusiasts who poured their soul into bringing over games they wanted to see in the US, anime games from before Pokemon made anime mainstream in the US, because they don't meet your standards 20 years later is not cool.

The funny thing is, again, Victor Ireland is not some cloistered figure in some unassailable corporate ivory tower. He just has a small team and is not hard to contact. If Supper were actually respectful he would probably be getting heartfelt support from the original translator. He could actually get some answers to his questions but since he is so focused on hating them it is never going to happen.

If the OP wasn't enough here are a few other egregious entries from the patch notes.

Incidentally the Vay patch notes are fine. I can't find anything to complain about. I imagine Supper got more diplomatic after realizing he was upsetting a lot of people.

For anyone who wants some context you can read the thread yourself. (He is talking about Lunar being in our future btw, not Popful Mail.) Victor is pretty frank about the changes and why they occured. Probably the most relevant quote.

But yes, please keep insulting him by taking one quote out of a full conversation and calling him insane. That will make things better.

Or for those who do not read Japanese the Lunar changes can be found below.

Lunar The Silver Star English<>Japanese differences Compilation
Lunar Eternal Blue English<>Japanese differences Compilation
Lunar Silver Star Story Complete English<>Japanese differences Compilation
Lunar2 Eternal Blue Complete English<>Japanese differences Compilation

Whoa, I totally missed this post! Sorry for not replying earlier. I'd rather be programming than having an argument, but since you're twisting my words quite a bit here, I suppose I have to set the record straight.

You're going quite a bit out of your way to interpret what I said as heinously as possible. When I expressed approval of "removing the obnoxious Working Designs credits", I was referring to the fact that unlike every other game publishing company I've ever seen, Working Designs insisted on listing their own staff in the most prominent positions at the very top of the credits, displacing the credits for the game's actual directors, producers and so on. As I explicitly stated, removing those credits was a side effect of copying over the cutscene from the Japanese version rather than some malignant action on my part. I have absolutely no desire to withhold credit from anyone involved in the production of the game, and Working Designs certainly did. If those had been the only credits in the game, I would have taken more care to leave them in, but the fact is that the game has no less than two other staff roll sequences in which Working Designs receives full credit.

Despite your assertions to the contrary, I do, in fact, hold a great deal of respect -- of a kind -- for Working Designs and Victor Ireland. The guy went to Japan, made contacts, hashed out licensing deals, and made all the arrangements to have these games translated, dubbed, and reprogrammed for release in the US. That takes a level of effort and organization far beyond anything I could ever manage, and in that respect he's an admirable figure. The problem is that all that effort ultimately went into creating gag translations that fundamentally misrepresent the original games. "Enthusiasm" and "it was 20 years ago" are not excuses for ruining someone else's creation, and I know of no other company that engaged in the kind of egocentric, wholesale script replacement that Working Designs did. The Working Designs rewrites are incredibly disrespectful to the authors of the original works, and I will not apologize for rightfully disparaging them.

Increasing games' difficulty in the West, though it certainly happened, was hardly "standard industry practice" -- there are hundreds of examples of contemporary games that were left untouched or even made easier for international release (especially in the 32-bit era and beyond -- Final Fantasy VII and VIII didn't have their difficulty cranked up in the US, but Alundra and Silhouette Mirage sure did!). But putting that aside, I do understand that Working Designs had a substantial commercial motive: to make money, they needed to reduce rentals and sell strategy guides, and making the games harder was an excellent way of facilitating those goals. Now, I hardly think Vic was using the money to line his own pockets -- the point was to keep the company solvent and able to release more games. Unfortunately, that does nothing to mitigate the fact that the increased difficulty of the games makes them -- to my tastes -- less enjoyable than the originals, which is why I'm making these patches in the first place.

My point with all this is that Working Designs was not simply "following the crowd", as you would have me believe. Their releases of games pervert the originals in a unique and disgusting way far beyond any of their contemporaries, and they deserve all the criticism they get for doing so. It's great that they brought the games to the US at a time when no one else would, but it's absolutely appalling how they did it. If Victor Ireland's come to acknowledge that, great! (From what people are saying about Gaijinworks and Summon Night, it doesn't sound like it, though.) But frankly, I don't have anything to ask him that he hasn't already made crystal-clear.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:15:01 pm by Supper »

VicVergil

• View Profile
Supper, it seems the Grandia font is compressed in the ISO.
I'll see if I can extract it from RAM, or at least screenshoot an ascii test at native resolution.
But you going ahead with the release is alright, because the difference is barely noticeable - in fact your own fixed font is better imo.

Having the de/recompression tools for Lunar 2 would be lovely too :)

Well then if you are going to be hateful you should not be surprised when you deservedly get hate back in kind.

He is getting a "hate torrent" not for the patch itself it is what he says in his opening, notes and other posts.

You have to understand when you are inflammatory about something a lot of people like a lot you are going to attract negativity.

So you basically admit you only came here to give hate to poor Supper, as "justice" would have it and expectation of courtesy be damned, eh? Like holy shit, at least be more subtle about it.

By your own standards Victor Ireland has been "disrespecting" the Japanese developers so much in his interviews and statements, precisely when "justifying" his "improvements"... "Stupid", "boring", "broken", "too easy", "pedophile bait" (about Idolmasters)... Sooo, I'd say bashing content creators isn't particularly upsetting to him and it's only fair game his own translation mockery work be subjected to similar "criticism".
Supper, for all the criticism and rants put in the readme didn't attack the individuals but rather the work and the undeniable sorry state it was released as (even Victor Ireland admits at many times lots of these were "mistakes"), but the way you make it sound it's as if it was the opposite.

And what "realities of the industry 20 years ago" are you even talking about? The decision to cancel SMB2 was by Nintendo of America because it was "too hard". And those marketing suits sending Japan some half-assed English scripts surely aren't the "creatives" insulted by any fan disapproval for this decision, they're not Miyamoto or company.
For the same reason, a release of Bio Miracle Uppa was killed, a finished Final Fantasy V translation scrapped, and FF4 stripped of a whole gameplay mechanic. And as the inclusion of Lost Levels in the SNES Mario compilation (complete with lots of advertising for it and a contest for which one gets to World 9 first) and late PS1 releases of the skipped FF games proves these decisions weren't the immutable word of business wisdom you're making them seem and that even the companies themselves saw the error of their ways.

Not to mention RPGs and games back then were being localised with the original difficulty intact, and the text generally matching the original intent pretty closely, rather than hard type romhacks with abridged dub scripts. For "industry standards", they're not that enforced.

And what's with your weird insistence that Working Designs did no wrong and the patch being unwarranted, then that anyone having issues with the game must be a psychotic literal translation fanatic, then that Vic Ireland should be consulted for feedback on whether he should touch the hex editor tools or not, then attacking the patch author in more direct terms?
Does this patch's existence bother you that bad? Considering it doesn't rob you from experiencing your Lunar discs the way WD released them, it it you being more worried than people might be aware of these differences or experience those games in any other way than what Studio Alex Working Designs TM intended it?

You could ignore the patch's existence, its horrible release notes, the horrible negativity as more unfounded complains about the glorious WD releases are pointed out to be fixed, and just play the perfect immaculate satisfactory Working Designs releases in their original... well original isn't the best word here, in their localized version by Working Designs TM.
Or you could continue to bear the cross of the defender of localisations against any restoration patches defiling them. With the power of love hate!

It's unreal how some people rationalize attacking perfect strangers for making stuff they don't like, moreso when the amount of work involved is that important and often going thankless at best. If you're irritated by this so much, just move on rather than making the day worse for everyone involved.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:23:22 am by GHANMI »

Gary_Oak

• View Profile
I almost forgot that Working Designs also messed with the difficulty balance of Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean, another RPG gem for the Saturn.

Recapnation

• View Profile
    • postback.geedorah.com
I mentioned it:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,23436.msg328760.html#msg328760

Was Dragon Force ported by WD? Not sure if there's something "rebalanced", though.

Unrelated, but has anybody tried to "insert" Grandia's English translation into the original, much better Saturn version?

And thanks once more to Supper. With his work, the original pieces, as well as the subject itself, will be better known from now on in the West. Or at least, the possibility is there now for those who care.

Furluge

• View Profile
    • Furluge's Depot
over something 99%, that even give a shit about this in the first place, thinks is bad. Shitty localization is shitty localization.

I hate to tell you this but the number of people upset by the localization of the Lunar games is far outweighed by the number of people who like it.

It's unreal how some people rationalize attacking perfect strangers for making stuff they don't like, moreso when the amount of work involved is that important and often going thankless at best. If you're irritated by this so much, just move on rather than making the day worse for everyone involved.

Expressing concern and disagreement is not an attack. Let me tell clue you in on a little behind the scenes. Since I have a new account, my posts up until this and my previous post have required moderator approval before posting. That means a moderator had to see, read and approve it. If there was anything that violated rule#1 of the forum, "Act friendly, maturely, and respectfully to all your fellow community members," you and I wouldn't even be talking right now.

You're going quite a bit out of your way to interpret what I said as heinously as possible. When I expressed approval of "removing the obnoxious Working Designs credits", I was referring to the fact that unlike every other game publishing company I've ever seen, Working Designs insisted on listing their own staff in the most prominent positions at the very top of the credits, displacing the credits for the game's actual directors, producers and so on. As I explicitly stated, removing those credits was a side effect of copying over the cutscene from the Japanese version rather than some malignant action on my part. I have absolutely no desire to withhold credit from anyone involved in the production of the game, and Working Designs certainly did. If those had been the only credits in the game, I would have taken more care to leave them in, but the fact is that the game has no less than two other staff roll sequences in which Working Designs receives full credit.

Despite your assertions to the contrary, I do, in fact, hold a great deal of respect -- of a kind -- for Working Designs and Victor Ireland. The guy went to Japan, made contacts, hashed out licensing deals, and made all the arrangements to have these games translated, dubbed, and reprogrammed for release in the US. That takes a level of effort and organization far beyond anything I could ever manage, and in that respect he's an admirable figure. The problem is that all that effort ultimately went into creating gag translations that fundamentally misrepresent the original games. "Enthusiasm" and "it was 20 years ago" are not excuses for ruining someone else's creation, and I know of no other company that engaged in the kind of egocentric, wholesale script replacement that Working Designs did. The Working Designs rewrites are incredibly disrespectful to the authors of the original works, and I will not apologize for rightfully disparaging them.

Increasing games' difficulty in the West, though it certainly happened, was hardly "standard industry practice" -- there are hundreds of examples of contemporary games that were left untouched or even made easier for international release (especially in the 32-bit era and beyond -- Final Fantasy VII and VIII didn't have their difficulty cranked up in the US, but Alundra and Silhouette Mirage sure did!). But putting that aside, I do understand that Working Designs had a substantial commercial motive: to make money, they needed to reduce rentals and sell strategy guides, and making the games harder was an excellent way of facilitating those goals. Now, I hardly think Vic was using the money to line his own pockets -- the point was to keep the company solvent and able to release more games. Unfortunately, that does nothing to mitigate the fact that the increased difficulty of the games makes them -- to my tastes -- less enjoyable than the originals, which is why I'm making these patches in the first place.

My point with all this is that Working Designs was not simply "following the crowd", as you would have me believe. Their releases of games pervert the originals in a unique and disgusting way far beyond any of their contemporaries, and they deserve all the criticism they get for doing so. It's great that they brought the games to the US at a time when no one else would, but it's absolutely appalling how they did it. If Victor Ireland's come to acknowledge that, great! (From what people are saying about Gaijinworks and Summon Night, it doesn't sound like it, though.) But frankly, I don't have anything to ask him that he hasn't already made crystal-clear.

Obviously I don't think you and I are going to come to any sort of agreement. I mean I could pull up other examples of US releases being made harder or other examples or comments from other translators about what goes into translating something comedic from Japanese to English, but that obviously isn't going to sway you as you're pretty set on hating WD. I would implore you to revise your word choices vs the inflammatory route you've gone with. It's going to be better in the long run. Even if that's what you personally thing a more diplomatic face is what you should have on your posts and notes. If you think I'm taking things the wrong way, that's just how it can look to a stranger, reading your text, who has never met you before.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:55:11 am by Furluge »
----- Furluge
Trust him, has has a fancy hat

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Furluge.

Do. you. have. anything. positive. to. contribute. to. the. discussion?  :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
He's just here to hate on people for having a different opinion. That, or he doesn't seem to realize that people can get very passionate over things that are important to them (like localization fidelity, for instance).

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
As to other games removing credits, I recall Breath of Fire 1 (the SNES version) somehow managing to fill the credits sequence with localization credits, leaving the original developers to a "all Capcom Japan staff" credit or something.
Or is my memory wrong?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Furluge

• View Profile
    • Furluge's Depot
Furluge.

Do. you. have. anything. positive. to. contribute. to. the. discussion?  :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

The. Patch. Itself. Is. Quite. Nice. I. Did. Not. Really. Care. For. Popful. Mail's. Difficulty. Increase. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
----- Furluge

Spooniest

• View Profile
If I jumped every time a light went off around here, I'd end up talking to myself  :-\

Just over a month after Eternal Blue, The Silver Star is ready to roll.

By the way Supper, I tested on GensPlus GX on a Wii...erm...the music of cutscenes is not starting at the appropriate place. It is starting, I'd estimate, 1-2 seconds into the playback of the tracks...

Something to do with your .cue file I think...? Fuzzy on the tech.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:52:46 pm by Spooniest »

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
Still having problems making the Popful Mail patch work. Can anyone verify that they've got it working? And if so, what version of ISO was being used? And what are its hashes or other identifying characteristics?

Edit, The ISO I'm generating with my copy of the game is not working with this patch. So thinking the one needed is different.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:37:10 pm by lexluthermiester »

Furluge

• View Profile
    • Furluge's Depot
Still having problems making the Popful Mail patch work. Can anyone verify that they've got it working? And if so, what version of ISO was being used? And what are its hashes or other identifying characteristics?

Yes I got it working. I'm using it with the lr-genesis-plus-gx core for Retroarch with the current distro of Retropie. Audio skips a but and I only tested to the part of the first level but it seems to work ok. I doubt think the hash will help since it should be different if you have different source image. I used a bit/cue image and used the batch file for patching a bin on Windows 7. It output an iso and waves for cd audio tracks, I copied these files and the provided cue to the pie and ran it.
----- Furluge

VicVergil

• View Profile
As to other games removing credits, I recall Breath of Fire 1 (the SNES version) somehow managing to fill the credits sequence with localization credits, leaving the original developers to a "all Capcom Japan staff" credit or something.
Or is my memory wrong?

The French version of Tail Concerto is something to behold in that regard. The credits (cringy Let's Play audio warning) are just the 4/5 Bandai France staff credits and "And Special Thanks to the Japanese Staff" repeated over and over just to fill space. It seems they bothered to implement English text for the credits yet were too "lazy" (if we're being charitable) to properly credit anyone but their own. Even leaving them completely untranslated like in Breath of Fire IV would have been better.

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
Supper, it seems the Grandia font is compressed in the ISO.
I'll see if I can extract it from RAM, or at least screenshoot an ascii test at native resolution.
But you going ahead with the release is alright, because the difference is barely noticeable - in fact your own fixed font is better imo.

Having the de/recompression tools for Lunar 2 would be lovely too :)

All right, thanks. I figure that matching an official source as closely as possible keeps things uncontroversial.

I've been meaning to put the various tools I've written on Github, but most of them were only designed for my personal use and are extremely messy, have no documentation, require manual commenting/uncommenting of features, etc. I'll try to work something out in the near future.

Obviously I don't think you and I are going to come to any sort of agreement. I mean I could pull up other examples of US releases being made harder or other examples or comments from other translators about what goes into translating something comedic from Japanese to English, but that obviously isn't going to sway you as you're pretty set on hating WD. I would implore you to revise your word choices vs the inflammatory route you've gone with. It's going to be better in the long run. Even if that's what you personally thing a more diplomatic face is what you should have on your posts and notes. If you think I'm taking things the wrong way, that's just how it can look to a stranger, reading your text, who has never met you before.

Well, it's fine by me to agree to disagree, because I don't intend to argue this point further regardless. But I will say that while there are times when it's best to keep your opinion to yourself, I see no problem with expressing my views in patch notes and other places that don't interfere with actual use of the patch. Now, if I had injected my opinions into the game itself, where the player couldn't avoid them, that would be quite inappropriate. But gee, who would do something so inconsiderate?...

If I jumped every time a light went off around here, I'd end up talking to myself  :-\

By the way Supper, I tested on GensPlus GX on a Wii...erm...the music of cutscenes is not starting at the appropriate place. It is starting, I'd estimate, 1-2 seconds into the playback of the tracks...

Something to do with your .cue file I think...? Fuzzy on the tech.

Thanks for reporting this -- I did discover an issue with the CUE file that made the intro music go out of sync (forgot the pregap on audio track 2). However, that doesn't sound exactly the same as the problem you're having. Before I update the patch, could you possibly test with this CUE file to see if it fixes everything? If that one is still buggy, try this one.

Edit, The ISO I'm generating with my copy of the game is not working with this patch. So thinking the one needed is different.

Hmm, this could be problematic. The BIN file I extracted the ISO from has CRC-32 0108e138, but redump lists the canonical CRC-32 as b36f32ae. The expected MD5 hash of the extracted ISO is c4c3529ece286fb7b007a432a50c0c31 -- could you possibly check the MD5 of your ISO to see if it matches that? I'll check to see if the dump is bad or if I've messed something else up, but in the meantime you might try using a BIN created with a different ripping program. Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for reporting.

EDIT: I just confirmed against a verified BIN rip that the MD5 hash listed above is the correct one for the ISO, assuming this isn't another bchunk bug. All that matters for the purpose of this patch is that the extracted ISO is correct, so check the MD5 of your ISO. If it's not c4c3529ece286fb7b007a432a50c0c31, it's a problem with the rip you're using. If the MD5 is correct, there may be some other issue. Just to be 100% sure, you're using the latest version (v2) of the patch?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 04:22:20 am by Supper »

Spooniest

• View Profile
Thanks for reporting this -- I did discover an issue with the CUE file that made the intro music go out of sync (forgot the pregap on audio track 2). However, that doesn't sound exactly the same as the problem you're having. Before I update the patch, could you possibly test with this CUE file to see if it fixes everything? If that one is still buggy, try this one.

Test 1: Identical to previous patch used, still starting 1-2 seconds late...or it seems like the music is starting early during "Fighting Through The Darkness" (the horn blast on the A minor chord, after the triplet on the snare drum, is supposed to sync with the lightning strike somehow), and then not starting until it's 1-2 seconds into the intro music ("In the sleepy village of Burg"...it's like, Tangerine Dream synth, with toms, and a temple chime, or something, at the end of every measure).

Test 2: No music at all. None of the redbook will load with that one.

For your info, I am loading it off of a SanDisk USB Flash drive...were you expecting an SD card?

My SD card only has 2gb on it...no room for CD games. They both load other games just fine.

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
Test 1: Identical to previous patch used, still starting 1-2 seconds late...or it seems like the music is starting early during "Fighting Through The Darkness" (the horn blast on the A minor chord, after the triplet on the snare drum, is supposed to sync with the lightning strike somehow), and then not starting until it's 1-2 seconds into the intro music ("In the sleepy village of Burg"...it's like, Tangerine Dream synth, with toms, and a temple chime, or something, at the end of every measure).

Test 2: No music at all. None of the redbook will load with that one.

For your info, I am loading it off of a SanDisk USB Flash drive...were you expecting an SD card?

My SD card only has 2gb on it...no room for CD games. They both load other games just fine.

Okay, I think I see what's going on here. If you open audio track 4 in a media player, what is its length closer to -- 1:10 or 1:12? Are there a couple of seconds of silence before the music starts?

If there are, I'm guessing you patched an ISO/WAV rip which incorrectly had the pregaps "baked into" the audio tracks, which emulators (at least) don't seem to handle properly. If possible, you should try patching again using a BIN/CUE rip. Then use this CUE sheet instead of the one provided with the patch, and I think everything will work. If you can't use a BIN/CUE rip, you could also just chop the first 2 seconds off of every audio file.

If there's no silence at the start, I'm not sure what the problem is. Try using the alternate CUE sheet above anyway to see what happens.

Spooniest

• View Profile
How do I verify the version of a CD game? I am using a Bin/Cue rip...but I don't know if it's the one you're using.

Sorry for wasting your time. :(

VicVergil

• View Profile
How do I verify the version of a CD game? I am using a Bin/Cue rip...but I don't know if it's the one you're using.

Sorry for wasting your time. :(

Use a CRC/SHA hash calculator utility and check the value you get against the ones on redump.org

Spooniest

• View Profile
Use a CRC/SHA hash calculator utility and check the value you get against the ones on redump.org

Thanks Ghanmi.