News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Has Mobile Emulation reached any new ground yet?  (Read 4887 times)

Kallisto

• View Profile
Has Mobile Emulation reached any new ground yet?
« on: January 15, 2017, 06:18:22 pm »
I don't believe I ever see any real word on it, but there had been the occasional conversation. last I checked Mobile Emulation has a lot of issues correct?

NoOneee

• View Profile
Re: Has Mobile Emulation reached any new ground yet?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 06:47:43 pm »
What do you mean exactly? Android emulators for PC are pretty good. People used to play Pokemon Go on those before.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 07:46:47 pm »
It does depend what you mean.

If you want to emulate a mobile phone for some reason, most I speak to wanting to do that want to play with various IM clients that want a mobile number to tie things to, then you can do that.

A lot of people wanting mobile emulators will be those doing websites and needing to check code. It is probably easier to use a website for basic checks and layout and save the hardcore stuff for a real device or some other thing. http://www.mobilephoneemulator.com/ is one of the ones I use.

You can also do things like http://www.android-x86.org/ and stick it in https://www.virtualbox.org/ (or whatever VM you like or I guess even hardware if you are so inclined) and get a lot of stuff done.

If you mean I want to play old games on my phone/tablet then things are kind of like they were on the original xbox and while 16 bit and older is pretty solid (more on that in a moment) things beyond that pose more problems but you can get some games going on. Technically there is a very impressive gamecube and wii emulator ported over and you can do very well on the PS1, not so bad for a lot of N64 things and I am not sure about the Saturn or Dreamcast but some things there too.
Some of the features are surprisingly advanced as well, and multiplayer wise can be more so, or at least considerably more user friendly, than some of the dominant PC emulators for a given platform. On the flip side the injection of money into this does mean certain systems, including those in the 16 bit and older and also often in the more obscure platforms where there might be less competition, may have their best option come via paid for emulators, this despite several of those being nearly untouched versions of popular PC emulators. I have not played with the big emulator frontend programs lately (never got along with them and as I can do better myself I do that, however RetroArch is a term you might want to start with if you do) but a lot of people go really into those.

If you mean I want to play 16 bit era games and http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/ is my jam then it is better than the PSP was but it is not that and you might still find kludges, frameskips and workarounds. Equally several of those existing ones will not be there and so some of the hacks that might abuse such things, also similar story for texture replacement hacks for things like the N64, will also fail to function as you might like.

To that end if you are thinking ultimate pre PS2 (plus GBA and DS) emulator station then not so much, though still pretty potent and certainly enough to be getting along with. I don't know whether the raspberry pi still tops it at this point but it is a strong contender if this is to end up under a TV and a laptop of any quality will walk all over it.

Most of the problems around here come from emulators making assumptions (I have had to teach people to hack or hack several games for the DS to allow people to use other languages as certain emulators assume it will only be that), issues with patching (people use these devices for their primary computing these days so when there are not ips, xdelta, bsdiff, ups, ninja and all the other formats we use around here patchers for any given version of android it causes problems), functionality differences (this emulator might have cheats where this one only has nice graphics filters) and people not paying attention.

If you are still recalling old articles where the DS and PSP, never mind what people doing stuff in the dingux/gp32/whatever worlds were doing, with their lovingly hand crafted emulators were walking all over android's "press compile and hope" ports of PC emulators then that stopped being a thing a while ago. You probably are going to want a controller though as it ain't like touchscreens are any closer to being a substitute for a controller yet. For my money the android crowd is still punching way below its potential for the power the hardware has, and is also a bit of tangled mess with all the charging and monetisation, but at the end of the day if you want to play old games you can certainly get it done.

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 08:08:59 pm »
If I want to play Android games on my PC, I use the Nox App Player.
I don't know of any decent emulators for earlier mobile phones, but this might be a start.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 10:27:10 pm »
You can also do things like http://www.android-x86.org/ and stick it in https://www.virtualbox.org/ (or whatever VM you like or I guess even hardware if you are so inclined) and get a lot of stuff done.
I understand that's what BlueStacks is, pretty much – and it sucks.

MEmu is apparently quite nifty.  Too bad I keep forgetting its name.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/memu-powerful-android-emulator-to-play-t3157906
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 11:44:59 pm »
One kind of Mobile Emulator that has hit a huge roadblock is the J2ME ones... And there were some great games then, and the most functional emulator is Kemulator.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 07:36:51 am »
Man, what I wouldn't give to get my Last Bible: New Testament games out of my phone and emulated...

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 01:45:08 pm »
Man, what I wouldn't give to get my Last Bible: New Testament games out of my phone and emulated...
A bit of a side-track, but - would you have a link to a review or video of game play of that game?

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 01:57:36 pm »
A bit of a side-track, but - would you have a link to a review or video of game play of that game?

This is it, from Tom.
WebsiteYouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 03:57:04 pm »
The kind of mobile I'm talking about were during a time of the seventh generation of gaming, games like Before Crisis as I recall never gotten a port yet to other mobile devices.

Nothing mobile console related like DS/PSP/etc, but straight mobile where games like Before Crisis, Elder Scrolls Stormhold, Dawnstar, and Xenosaga Pied Piper are currently stuck in that never made it to other devices.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:13:20 pm by Kallisto »

J^P

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 07:52:12 am »
Personally I want to see symbian s60 emulator. 8)

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 08:17:28 am »
Have any Japanese phone games (pre-Android) been preserved anyway? People keep asking for these, but I've never seen any indication of files that can be fed to an emulator even being available in any form.

N-Gage and S60/UIQ stuff is downloadable on the web, you can play that at least on hardware.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 09:17:17 am »
People keep asking for these, but I've never seen any indication of files that can be fed to an emulator even being available in any form.
Nowhere comes to mind.  Playable on Kemulator; seems that's where the screenshots came from.
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/nowhere/nowhere.htm
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 09:50:19 am »
It looks just like a standard English J2Me game for western phones.

Wasn't the special thing about Japanese games that they either are based on different standards and/or depend on online functionality or something like that.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 12:19:24 pm »
It looks just like a standard English J2Me game for western phones.

Wasn't the special thing about Japanese games that they either are based on different standards and/or depend on online functionality or something like that.

Some (like Final Fantasy Legends: The Light and Dark Warriors) were like that. (Basically, you'd get a "framework" and then download content specific to one region... Then when you beat that region, you'd upload a save and download the next area, which would overwrite the old area... Then you'd be able to continue on.)

But not all Japanese games were like that. Many were self-contained and fully playable offline. The New Testament games I mentioned earlier, for instance.

Of the six games I own (and seven games I've owned -- Persona 2 Batsu: Infinity Mask has been lost in the digital void), only one - Final Fantasy Legends: The Light and Dark Warriors - followed that Draconian online format. Most games are tied to the phone and will be playable as long as the phone and screen still work.

Unfortunately, there's no way for me to upload the game data to my computer. The phone only allows for transfers of things like photographs taken with the phone's camera and such. Application data is all locked down by the app makers.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 12:02:51 am »
I forgotten about that Persona 2 Side Chapter, that one is a shame since it helps explains a couple of things.

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 04:44:08 pm »

Unfortunately, there's no way for me to upload the game data to my computer. The phone only allows for transfers of things like photographs taken with the phone's camera and such. Application data is all locked down by the app makers.

I wouldn't expect it to be that easy, question is what has people prevented so far finding possible ways of extraction...maybe it's a lack of hardware access (and interest) in the west and the Japanese caution concerning copyrights.