News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Wizardry V Switch Screen Opinion  (Read 2321 times)

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
Wizardry V Switch Screen Opinion
« on: January 08, 2017, 04:20:20 pm »
I'm working on a little hack to make the Japanese version of Wizardry V more friendly to English players.  There is an existing English only version of the game, but it is highly censored, both in the graphics and text.  The Japanese version already contains both English and Japanese versions of almost all text, but the switch/options menu was mostly untranslated:

http://imgur.com/ce8KVCs

I've replaced this menu with a much simpler text only interface:

http://imgur.com/RAUZz8a

The first five options in the original Japanese menu each changed different parts of the game's text from English to Japanese.  I've simplified this into a single option that converts all the text.  The existing English version of the game, while still containing much of the original Japanese text in the ROM, does not have the option to display the Japanese text:

http://imgur.com/hq8Ez95

The menu looks better than mine, but is missing the English/Japanese option.  I could have just copied over the menu from the English game, but it just feels weird to remove functionality from a game.  Would it be better just to go this route?  Japanese players already have an uncensored version of the game designed for them, so it wouldn't really prevent anybody from experiencing the game.  I also looked at porting the uncensored content to the existing English version, but moving the graphics to make everything fit would result in a huge patch size.  The final option would be to mimic the English menu but add the additional language option.  This would probably look a little strange, as the font size would either have to be very small to fit within the boxes, or I would have to abbreviate "English" to "Eng." and "Japanese" to "Jap."

Note: I'm not removing the ability to change the background color, I just haven't added the text back in for it yet.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:26:29 pm by darkmoon2321 »

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
Re: Wizardry V Switch Screen Opinion
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 03:45:54 pm »
Just to offer another option: on a purely graphics menu, you could replace "English" with "USA" and "Japanese" with the Japanese characters for it?
(It could be based off the English game layout for this options screen, or from the Japanese game layout.)

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 05:14:42 pm »
Guessing the Japanese version had some still Engrish there (i already checked such as Reset backuped data instead of Reset backup data).
WebsiteYouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 02:44:59 am »
"English" to "Eng." and "Japanese" to "Jap."
"JPN". "Jap" is a racist abbreviation.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 08:34:48 am »
Thanks for the tips!  I think I'll end up using USA and JPN and base the rest off the existing English version.  I've already changed the default character names, the default language, and the default character set to use when you name your characters.  I just fixed "Reset backuped data".  I'll go through and check for any other errors like this before release.  Another one I've found is that they use "stoned" for the petrify effect.  "Stone" looks better on some screens than "Petrif", which is what they use in the English version where the full effect name won't fit.  But saying your fighter is "stoned" isn't correct.  Using "stone" in some cases and "Petrify" in others would be the best way to go.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 09:19:35 am »
Nice work! Looking forward to this :)

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 04:37:33 pm »
I managed to decompress, edit, and compress the tile set for the switch screen.  The result looks a lot better than the previous version:

http://imgur.com/SENRALf

I'm still going through and modifying the assembly to handle all the changes properly, but the switch screen should be done in a couple days or so. 

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 04:44:47 pm »
I managed to decompress, edit, and compress the tile set for the switch screen.  The result looks a lot better than the previous version:

http://imgur.com/SENRALf
Looks good to me!

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 10:38:15 pm »

I'm still going through and modifying the assembly to handle all the changes properly, but the switch screen should be done in a couple days or so.

This is = pretty good...

EDIT: I saw your submission got rejected. BTW, from where version came from? (US or Japanese ROM)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 01:37:23 am by Gamerhenky »
WebsiteYouTube

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 08:30:23 am »
The patch is intended for the Japanese ROM.  I had submitted it under hacks instead of translations, that was my mistake.  Just submitted it again under translations, hopefully it will be approved in a bit.

Edit: Patch has been approved and is now in the database!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 01:41:07 pm by darkmoon2321 »

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 09:25:22 am »
WebsiteYouTube