News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Clearing the Backlog.  (Read 2922 times)

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Clearing the Backlog.
« on: January 04, 2017, 09:15:38 am »
I figure its about time seeing as I've got between 8 months to a year before I'm able to actually be a productive member of society again.

The gameplan right now is to hit the n64 starting with the lighter racing games like Diddy Kong Racing and Mario Kart, followed by RPGs and collectathons, shooters, party games, and then the harder sci fi racers like aero gauge, F Zero, and Extreme G,

Afterwards I'll either move on to my slim SNES collection of about 6 games or try to clear the mountain of unplayed ps3 games I keep buying, then Wii, Xbox, and NES last.

Anyway what do you guys think? Tips? Thoughts on your own backlog?

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Clearing the Backlog.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 03:42:13 pm »
Shouldn't take you long to get through the N64 RPG's. There were probably less than 10 since everyone during this time period was making these games on Playstation instead.

2 N64 games I'd recommend (and likely have many times before) are Turok: Rage Wars and Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness. LoD is the good Castlevania from the N64. Only play Castlevania 64 after you've worn out LoD and are jonesing for more. That Turok game is built for mutiplayer but I think the normal 1 player game is fun too. Just straight-forward killing for the most part. It's one of those games that's fun to unlock characters and stuff.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 10:16:08 pm »
Yes, maybe 10 if you want to stretch the definition of "RPG". :P
I think Paper Mario was the only turn-based RPG released in the west. (probably the only reason Nintendo cared about Mother 3 then, because they had literally nothing else :( )
There's maybe a couple Japanese games that haven't been translated.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 12:00:25 am »
Do people still talk of Quest 64 at all?  I remember the initial previews in Nintendo Power were so flush with promise.  Maybe it's another one of those cases where some of the developers went on to re-use the ideas in a much better fashion somewhere else?

I think I'm just about finished with Animal Crossing: New Leaf.  Maybe I'll start up Fantasy Life afterwards.  (There is no way in heck I am infecting myself with Stardew Valley, oh no.)  I still need to finish Ace Attorney 4, after which I might take a crack at 999 and Radiant Historia.  And there's still Ocarina of Time and Planescape Torment.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 07:14:14 am »
I've got about 4 RPGs for n64, Quest, both Zelda's, and Megaman 64, always thought Quest had potential but I never got around to playing the supposedly enhanced gbc port I've  heard about,

also if we have any spare cash later I'm gonna send someone out to Coin Mart to look for Legacy of Darkness, Paper Mario, and Turok.

Finished Diddy Kong Racing, It looks kiddy on the surface but there ain't nothin "light" about the sonovabitch.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 07:20:54 am »
My backlog just on PC...

And that's just what I marked as *really* wanting to play it. There is tons more I got cheap from sales and bundles that I'll probably never touch.

:'(
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 02:29:28 pm »
Same here, steam backlog.

tons more on consoles, and games not on steam. also this list grows by about 3 per month.

damn those HumbleBundles.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 02:30:45 pm »
Put Gothic onto the top of the pile :angel:
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 12:10:41 pm »
My Steam list isn't nearly as huge, but it is populated by several "Bethesda Neverending RPGs", mostly I make up for steam with the massive quantities of freeware and obscure indie jrpgs floating around on my computer, also just got my Fate Stay Night and Hollow Ataraxia back, whooo!

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 03:26:33 pm »
also this list grows by about 3 per month.
damn those HumbleBundles.
Just say "No!"to more stuff, free or not?  >:D

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 06:07:23 pm »
I have a small number of games in my backlog, but progress is mostly sparse because of being in grad school.  I've found the key to keeping your Steam list under control is to just keep your wishlist up to date and wait for a game to be on sale (for a decent amount of course, not that 10% off nonsense), then take another look at it, then buy it if I'm still interested.  It's served me pretty well overall!

Still, back when I only had to worry about keeping my job, I'd have cleared that mess all out by now.

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 11:12:04 am »
hah, behold my steam backlog: http://steamcommunity.com/id/alevice/games/?tab=all . pretty much anything below 1 hour.

seriously enough, i only to intendo play liek half of my collection, because qute a few are from my obsession of buying shitty bundles.
_-|-_