News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Mega Man VII Password Errors / Glitches After Patching  (Read 3710 times)

rocklite

• View Profile
Mega Man VII Password Errors / Glitches After Patching
« on: December 30, 2016, 08:59:11 pm »
Hi. Found some Megaman 7 hacks on this site and I am having some troubles with the game after patching. Patching seems to go ok but if I use Megaman 7 Plus (Dark Mark) or Robot Masters AI (Docrow) the passwords the game gives me do not work.

Here is what I know.

-I have not had the best of luck applying snes patches.
-I am paying attention to patches requiring roms to be header roms and un header roms.
-I have tried using Lunar IPS, SNEStuff and snesROMUtil. Each method seems to give same results.
-I am not applying both patches as Robot Masters AI seems to include Megaman 7 Plus anyways.
-No matter what I do Rockman appears in Yellow when receiving freeze cracker.
-Stranger glitches are Rockman talking to roll or rightot or light while yellow and the dialog is about junk shield when receiving freeze cracker.
-When game is reset, the password screen does not store the current password. (prolly cuz it doesnt work)
-I have tried fixing checksum with ucon64 and it did not help.
-When using snesROMUtil, Robot Masters AI patch increases romsize to 4mb. The others do not seem to increase.
-Megaman X1 seems to have some anti piracy measures... It was released before MM7...

I have a feeling the passwords do not work because the Robot Master AI patch unlocks all 8 bosses from the start. I have found that if you use a password to unlock all 8 from the start your passwords will not work after that as well. After writing this I realized my passwords for Megaman 7 Plus DO WORK! It is just the Robot Master AI patch that does not. I suppose further contact with Docrow would be necessary to have him remove the start with 8 bosses unlocked from his patch to perhaps make this work... Damn I wish there were a way to get his patch without that one feature...

If anyone has any info contrary to what Ive posted or any other ideas please let me know. It appears passwords are working after all... I read on a post here that holding L+R might help but it did not.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Man VII Password Errors / Glitches After Patching
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 11:15:20 pm »
-Stranger glitches are Rockman talking to roll or rightot or light while yellow and the dialog is about junk shield when receiving freeze cracker.
Why do you have Rockman's "Lab Talk" with Roll or Rightot when it's only available in the JP version?

You should use the aforementioned patches on the US version only.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 06:12:45 am by Zynk Oxhyde »

rocklite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 06:38:16 pm »
That would be a question for Dark Mark. The Megaman 7 Plus patch seems to also replace the names of chars to their 'rockman' counterparts as well as fix bass' sprites. It's just a shame it was never completed if thats the case. Im just hoping that someone whos more experienced with applying patches and playing megaman 7 that they can confirm this is natural for the state of the patch and not erroronious due to my skills at applying patches.

Lance

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 01:12:57 am »
If you're not sure on how to patch a ROM, look in the readme file. You can also look at the hack submission page and it should tell you what specific ROM it needs. In this case, either patch requires a Megaman 7 US ROM with a header.

You can tell right away if you patch the wrong type of ROM, because it will corrupt the ROM and make it unplayable. I use this to tell if my ROM has a header or not: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/608/

The submission page also tells you what specific ROM version to patch. You can look at the hashing information (where it says ROM SHA-1 under file information) to make perfectly sure that the ROM you have is compatible. I use this tool to compare: http://download.cnet.com/MD5-SHA-Checksum-Utility/3000-2092_4-10911445.html

rocklite

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 11:51:21 pm »
the File SHA-1 does not check out but the ROM SHA-1 does...

File SHA-1: 38AC3FE3CC372F6C1833B315E0779C27AB4164FB
ROM SHA-1: 6E7C9C9DD397F771303EE4AEC29D106B9F86C832

using snesromutil (wasabi) to patch.

Can anyone at least confirm that this game does in fact suffer from broken passwords when the CORRECT rom is patched PROPERLY?!

The first password you get after intro stage is working but then after defeating a boss they dont save when reset or input without failure bird...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:52:23 am by rocklite »

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 08:47:49 am »
The patch depends on the exact file. If the file sha-1 is wrong then it WILL NOT WORK CORRECTLY.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 12:03:13 pm »
the File SHA-1 does not check out but the ROM SHA-1 does...

File SHA-1: 38AC3FE3CC372F6C1833B315E0779C27AB4164FB
ROM SHA-1: 6E7C9C9DD397F771303EE4AEC29D106B9F86C832
The only way I can think of that happening is that you need a headered ROM. (if it was unheadered, the File and ROM SHA-1 would be the same)
Get one of the utilities here to add a header (to a clean ROM) then patch again.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 01:49:51 pm »
NSRT is good tool for adding/removing headers quickly and easily.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

rocklite

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 05:46:03 pm »
Can ANYONE confirm that this game does in fact suffer from broken passwords after the Docrow patch is applied PROPERLY?!
Here is a password to skip past the intro stage: [8775-2587-4416-8362].

Even on a "PURE" "UNHEADERED" ROM using the password [4635-2747-5847-8358] to unlock all 8 bosses at start of game seems to cause the game to spit out unusable passwords. One of the features of this hack is just that. Enable all 8 off the bat... Looks like the nature of the hack to me. God how disappointing. If only Docrow didnt add that one feature... (unless its my bad patching!)

Alright so I dont need to worry about the "ROM" SHA-1? Just the "FILE" SHA-1?

When Rom is UNHEADERED with SNEStuff v1.2.1 the "FILE" SHA-1 checks out OK with MDA & SHA Checksum Utility 2.1. (38AC3FE3CC372F6C1833B315E0779C27AB4164FB)

When the rom is HEADERED the "ROM" SHA-1 checks out OK. (6E7C9C9DD397F771303EE4AEC29D106B9F86C832)

This has fixed the "Lab Talk" issue however the password issue still remains. I AM PRETTY SURE THIS IS DUE TO NATURE OF PATCH. Can ANYONE confirm this?!?

Roll and Auto (Rightot) dont seem to be appearing anymore and the weapon color and dialog all check out now. I suppose its all working well...

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I really suppose I asked for WAY too much by exposing my patching info. I really was just hoping to find someone with experience patching that might be able to spend the 1-3 min defeating freezeman (ffs) to CONFIRM that the password issue does in fact affect THEIR patched rom.

January 29, 2017, 06:51:30 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
"the megaman homepage"'s password generator clearly says passwords generated with all 8 bosses unlocked at start wont work until you collect the first 4 weapons. ie: once the first 4 bosses weapons obtained and robot museum is beaten the passwords after that point in game are in fact working fine. small price to pay for the new boss patterns i suppose.

the dr light lab talk issue is being caused by trying to apply the Boss Select Text (Justin3009) patch after applying the docrow patch and removing header again... docrow patch runs fine on its own after removing header post patch... i suppose some patches just dont jive together eh? total n00b here gettin confused... sorry. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 06:57:01 pm by rocklite »

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 07:41:40 pm »
the dr light lab talk issue is being caused by trying to apply the Boss Select Text (Justin3009) patch after applying the docrow patch and removing header again... docrow patch runs fine on its own after removing header post patch... i suppose some patches just dont jive eh? total n00b here gettin confused... sorry.
The Boss Select Text patch by Justin3009 also edits the routine to enable the lab talk with Roll and Auto (for whatever reason). The problem is in the US rom this text was removed (and still is after patching) and replaced the text ptrs with ones to Mega Man's text.

This patch will restore the boss select text without messing with the lab talk routine.