Lufia I Restored 3.1 | Lufia II: Frue Trilogizer v6.0-T | Lufia III Complete 2.5

Started by FlamePurge, December 28, 2016, 11:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Escaeva

This is amazing work, thank you so much.

Excellent consistency across all games, thanks for the item patch for Frue as well, excellent coding as always, thanks Flame Purge!

FlamePurge

I appreciate your kind words.  ;D Let's not forget a gigantic thanks to rainponcho for doing the bulk of the coding on Lufia I and III.
Check out and discuss my projects

FlamePurge

I've had some zen time to reflect on my projects without having access to their files, and I've decided on some small updates coming to the Lufia games.

Trilogy:
- "Original font" patches are going to be depreciated. I'll still keep the two different sizes for Lufia III for accessibility purposes.
- I'd like to edit the lowercase "p" and "q" of the 8x8 fonts for readability. Perhaps the "y," too.

Lufia I:
- I want to update the dialogue font to more closely resemble that of Lufia II. I think I was able to replicate it on a test, but, um, lost the file shortly thereafter. It'll mostly be superficial changes. I couldn't straight-up import Lufia II's 16x8 font because the top two pixels get cut off when the auto-outline routine is drawn.

Lufia II:
- I would like to try to change Thunder to Skywrath. I don't know how successful I'll be, though.
- I'm also going to see about porting Trilogy Addendum to the most recent version of Frue Lufia via JKPhage's method.

Lufia III:
- I want to try to make the Chests Opened and Items Found counts in the results screen  reflect the number of treasures that can actually be obtained.
- I'm going to take the plunge and rename the healing spells to match Lufia I. This means:
Strongest -> Champion
Champion -> Boost
Champion X -> Cheer

This and the Skywrath issue in Lufia II are the only things stopping spells from being 100% consistent between games.

These changes should hopefully come in December 2022, and I anticipate them being the final updates unless someone is able to reduce Lufia I's encounter rate and/or fix the glitch where Poison status is ineffective due to fast walking.

Ok Impala!

Awesome that you are looking on further improving these hacks.  :)

Regarding the Random Encounters, you are probably aware of this information already. But just in case, this is an interesting break down of the encounter rate. I wasn't aware of the fact that there was a different encounter rate on the world map and dungeons for example:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/588452-lufia-and-the-fortress-of-doom/78176387

What are the technical problems for making the Sweet Water effect permanently effective?

And to be complete, the Pro Action Replay code for turning off encounters entirely is: 7E149E00. Might be useful for players that want to turn on/off encounters during their playthrough.

FlamePurge

I would probably need someone's help to reduce the random encounter rate for me. As for permanent Sweet Water effect, that is an interesting idea but it would require rebalancing chests to no longer contain Sweet or Foul Waters. I'd rather the base encounter rate simply be reduced.

Ok Impala!

Quote from: FlamePurge on October 25, 2022, 06:21:29 PMI'd rather the base encounter rate simply be reduced.

I've been looking into this the last few days and made good progress. Need to do some more testing, but I'll get back about this.  :)

FlamePurge

Hey, thanks. I really appreciate that. I'm not sure but I think there might be 6 different encounter rates? Three for normal, Sweet Water, and Foul Water/the Monster Ring, and then double that to account for both the world map and dungeons. I would generally say encounters should be decreased by 40 to 50%, but I'll leave it to your discretion.

Related to Lufia I changes, the ineffective Poison glitch is the result of the Walk Faster patch; basically, the game says the fast speed is the "town speed," and in towns Poison does no damage. It's only coded to be in effect during the slow walk. The solution I have in mind is to allow Poison to hurt you at all times while walking (which would include in towns). I'm not sure who to turn to for that or where one would start looking, though.

---

I forgot one of the reasons I never changed Thunder to Skywrath in Lufia II is because the spell is mentioned by name in descriptions, which use dictionary compression. I could ask Artemis if he'd be willing to work with me on changing it for the Trilogy Addendum, but I have an alternate idea: change the name of the "Thunder" spell in Lufia I and III to Shock.

Lufia I:
Flash - Lightning LV 1
Bolt - Lightning LV 2
Shock - Giant lightning bolt

(The enemy-only target-all variant would change to Ray, Storm, and Thunder, since Ele-Gion is the Japanese name of both the target-all LV 3 in Lufia I, and the raiju summon in Lufia III)

Lufia II:
Flash - Lightning LV 1
Bolt - Lightning LV 2
Thunder - Summon a raiju

Lufia III:
Flash - Lightning LV 1
Bolt - Lightning LV 2
Shock - Giant lightning bolt
Thunder - Summon a raiju

I'm not the hugest fan, but it seems to be the path of least resistance. I still think Shock sounds mighty enough to stand alongside Vulcan, Flood, and Glacier.

Also, unfortunately it doesn't seem like it'll be possible to have the true possible item counts reflected in Lufia III. A bit of a shame since I was looking forward to that one. It seems to draw the numbers in real time instead of having them static in the data. Given this entry's black sheep status, I doubt I could find willing guidance on this... According to SailorNemesis' old walkthrough on GameFAQs, the actual maximum seems to be:

Treasures Opened - 171 // The game claims there are 181, which is false
Items Found - 193 // The game claims there are 199, which is false--though the Chest Sonar pings one item each in Midy's church, Gologolo Cave B1, Pirate Island Cave B11, and Siantao (Destroyed) that you can't pick up.

I have a save state for BGB if anyone can point me in the right direction to use the debugger.

Edit - https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=35947.0

Posted a Help Wanted Ad.

---

Edit

Thanks to radimerry, a great evil has been corrected. May completionists rejoice!

5372E - change B5 to AB
5373C - change C7 to C1

---

workflow

Lufia I: ✔️
- Remove "original font" patch ✔️
- Test 16x18 auto-outline limitations ✔️
- Based on above, adjust font in anticipation of porting Lufia II's ✔️
- Lowercase 8x8 p, q, and y will be updated for readability ✔️
- Thunder -> Storm ✔️
- Shock -> Ray ✔️
- Plasma -> Shock ✔️
- Skywrath -> Thunder ✔️
- Change Results labels to fit name decisions ✔️
- Implement OK Impala!'s encounter rate reduction ✔️
- Implement Justin3009's Poison reduction ✔️

Lufia II:  ✔️
- Start from scratch in Frue v5.2 ✔️
- Port over fonts (Lowercase 8x8 p, q, and y will be updated for readability) ✔️
- Check dialogue for issues (Tap Rose/Taplows and Sky Island, mostly) ✔️
- Mixed-case menus  ✔️
- I hope to change Shrine of Daos / Daos Shrine to Doom Fortress at least // Was kind of able to do it. I changed it to Doom Fortress in the two places it was mentioned in dialogue. Daos calls it his "fort." The big hurdle in times past was not being able to change "Shrine of Daos" to "Fortress of Doom" in the location labels due to lack of space. However, I've found trying to put in the word "Congratulations" (0500) simply zeroes out this particular location label, so I've chosen to do that instead. Will need further testing, but no other location label seems to be removed aside from "Shrine of Daos." ✔️
- Port over ability and inventory names ✔️
- Change "Old" equipment to "Might" (I held off on this so long since I was scared of breaking the Egg Dragon's text--it seemed to work fine)  ✔️
- Change "Small Shrine to Dragon Egg" to "Small Shrine to Egg Dragon" (Nothing seems busted)  ✔️

Lufia III: ✔️
- Long overdue for a new name. How to encapsulate, "This is the localization finalized" in a cool way?
Lufia: The Legend Returns - Complete ✔️
- Remove "original font" patch ✔️
- Make short dialogue boxes the default with an optional addendum to return to the default size and font ✔️
- Lowercase 8x8 p, q, and y will be updated for readability ✔️
- Chests Opened and Items Found will reflect what is actually obtainable ✔️
- Make "Menu Select" all caps for differentiation with the actual menus ✔️
- Change "Old" equipment to "Might" ✔️
- Thunder -> Storm ✔️
- Skywrath -> Thunder ✔️
- Strongest -> Champion ✔️
- Champion -> Boost ✔️
- Champion X -> Cheer ✔️
- Provide save to start with Retry Mode  ✔️

When this is done, the only inconsistency left in the entire trilogy is Lufia I's "Old Cave" instead of Ancient Cave. I would change that if I had the power, but given that the Old Cave is so different from the later games' Ancient Cave, I'm honestly fine leaving it as-is.

---

While I'm spitballing, I realized that I wasn't able to change Shrine of Daos or Daos Shrine (whichever) in III to Doom Fortress in the dialogue. I don't have Lufia III's TBL handy (it also uses dictionary compression, like the other two). I thought maybe these would be the last updates, and I would be able to get them out a month earlier, but it seems Lufia III will have one last update in December.

Edit - OK, I think I checked the text by watching some YouTube videos, and I don't think it's directly called Shrine of Daos anywhere relevant. I may be wrong but no YouTube videos give anything of note

Ok Impala!

The Encounter Rate Fix has just been submitted, I've send you the files on Discord too.  Huge thanks to Nolberto82 for the help in finding these values in the ROM. :)

Vanya

Quote from: FlamePurge on October 26, 2022, 03:40:21 PMI still think Shock sounds mighty enough to stand alongside Vulcan, Flood, and Glacier.

Shock doesn't sound very mighty to me.
I think I would have gone with Smite to fit in with the others what with Vulcan being the name of a god, and Flood being often used by gods.
Otherwise, I might have gone with Storm and left plasma alone.

FlamePurge

I could swap Shock and Storm maybe? Storm was the original LV4 Lufia III spell so it's a bit odd for me to swap them, but I guess nothing that I haven't done before.

Flash
Bolt
Storm (LI and LIII LV3)
Thunder (LII LV2, LIII LV4)

How's it sound?

Edit - I at first implemented the halved encounter rate mod by OK Impala, but I felt like it still wasn't reduced enough. I've decided to go with 60% based on some location addresses he gave me.

Edit - Justin helped me fix Poison. I've asked OK Impala if he'd make Might Shield an enemy drop, so we'll see. This should be out a month early.

Ok Impala!

I just updated the encounter rate patch to v1.1:

This version fixes Clear Silk so it no longer attracts monsters. And I changed the step value that determines the amount of steps without a fight after the last fight. In Lufia that value was extremely low. Only the first 3 steps after a fight guarantee that you won't be attacked. But starting from step 4 you can get attacked. I doubled that, so now you can only get into an attack starting from step 8 since your last fight.

For the people interested in the exact addresses:

Step count free of fights since the last fight:
8857 04 (Change 04 to every value you like)

Clear Silk:
056041 17 (Change to 00 so it won't be seen as a monster attraction item).
056042 93 (Change to 0E. I don't know why, but all non-attraction items have the value 0E there, so just to be safe).

FlamePurge

Much appreciated! It's been incorporated. :)

All three projects have been submitted to and accepted at RHDN.

Lufia & the Fortress of Doom Restored http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2744/
v3.0
- Depreciated "original font" variant. If enough demand warrants, I may make these addenda to the main patches, but the outlook is unlikely; all the feedback I've seen indicates that no one cares for the original Lufia I or III fonts.
- Incorporated Lufia - Encounter Rate Fix v1.1 by Ok Impala!. This halves the enemy encounter rate, and removes the Monster Ring / Foul Water effect from armor Sheer Silk.
- 8x8 font's p, q, and y revised for readability.
- 8x16 font is now a slightly modified version of the one used in Lufia II: Frue Trilogizer.
- Poison damages characters as the player walks around, but this is also in effect in settlements. In particular, if the Hero is alone at the start of the game and gets Poisoned with no cure available, players may run into issues. Be sure to keep some Antidotes on hand until spell Detox is available. (Credit: Justin3009)
- Enemy Rock Golem now drops armor Might Shield roughly 0.8% of the time.
- Post-game Results Screen labels have been normalized across trilogy entries.
- Item name changes:
Seethru Silk -> Sheer Silk
Might Helmet -> Might Helm
Small Knife -> Cleaver
- Spell Thunder is now Storm for consistency with Lufia III. Enemy spell Skywrath/Elegion is now Thunder.

Lufia II: Frue Trilogizer https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/7277/
v5.2-T
- Ported most previous name changes to Frue Lufia v5.2.
- Renamed mod. Submitted it to RHDN as an Addendum of Frue Lufia.
- Shrine of Daos renamed to Doom Fortress; its location label no longer displays due to space issues.
- Small Shrine to Dragon Egg renamed to Small Shrine to Egg Dragon.
- Changed "Old Shield" to "Might Shield" in Egg Dragon's dialogue
- All other changes in previous versions retained, unless otherwise noted.
- Item name changes compared to this mod's previous iteration:
Small Knife -> Cleaver
Silvo Rapier -> Silver Epee
Bug Crush -> Bugkiller
Safety Helm -> Safety First
Old Sword -> Might Sword
Old Armor -> Might Armor
Spirit Brace -> Soul Brace
Tecto Gloves -> Tect Gloves
Old Shield -> Might Shield
Old Helmet -> Might Helm
Mystery Ring -> Curio Ring
S-Mysto Ring -> S-Curio Ring
- Ability name changes compared to this mod's previous iteration:
Dash -> Rush
- Enemy name changes compared to this mod's previous iteration:
Mega Cyclops -> Giant Monk
Snowgas -> Snow Gas
Mad Head -> Mad Pumpkin

Lufia: The Legend Returns Complete http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/813/
v2.5
- Renamed mod.
- Depreciated "original font" variant.
- Larger dialogue window option is retained for accessibility, but is now an addendum patch. (Apply after the main patch.)
- Ruby Apple reference is now Apple Ruby, consistent with Frue Lufia.
- Post-game Results Screen's Chests Opened and Items Found counts now reflect the true 171 chests and 193 environmental items that can be collected. (Credit: Radiant_Nighte, chillyfeez)
- Provided SAV with Retry Mode unlocked.
- Item name changes:
SilvRapier -> SilverEpee
Mysto Ring -> Curio Ring
MystoRingX -> CurioRingX
Rage Brace -> Fury Brace
SmallKnife -> Cleaver
DiscGrindr -> AngleGrind
Bug Crush -> Bugkiller
Alloy Mail -> Full Mail
Seethru Cape -> Sheer Cape
Seethru Silk -> Sheer Silk
- Spell name changes:
Thunder -> Storm
Skywrath -> Thunder
Strongest -> Champion
Champion -> Boost
Champion X -> Cheer

What's next for these projects?

Lufia I:
- I anticipate v3.0 being the last version, but that doesn't mean there aren't things I still want to do with this game.
- A pie-in-the-sky idea, if the text dictionary is ever decompressed, is to change the prologue script to match that of Lufia II. (With modifications to fit the slightly different events, of course.)
- I believe the German fan translation was able to change the logo to reflect later games, so I'd like to offer an optional patch for that. The rainbow logo is kind of nice, even if it's not used in anything else.
- A really, really outlandish idea would be to shut off ineffective attacks entirely, but I don't know how that'd work. It's basically the last thing stopping this game from feeling complete.

Lufia II:
- I anticipate v5.2-T being the last version, barring any updates from Artemis.
- I would like to offer an optional, possibly unrelated patch to remove the "II" from the title logo and splash screen. Basically, NTSC-U's subtitle "Rise of the Sinistrals" and PAL's "Lufia" would combine into one nice logo. Lufia II ended up being the only numbered game in the series, and it's just an oddity at this point, especially since it's a prequel.
- Magic Restrictions. Definitely for an optional project, but I would like the spellcasters to start with and be able to learn less magic. There's so little differentiation that it's pointless. I've played the game with self-imposed restrictions on before and it feels good.
Magic Restriction ideas:
Spoiler
PERSONALIZED SPELLS

Maxim: Given the role of Paladin, plus ice and water magic (Modeled after Wain).
Reset
Strong
Detox
Droplet
Gale
Bravery
Release
Vortex
Blizzard
Stronger
Rally
Waken
Shield
Mirror
Champion
Ice Valk

Tia: Modeled after her cooking attempts. Fire magic for cooking, heal magic for curing cuts and Maxim's battle wounds. Rally and Valor make sense as extensions of her healing abilities. Absorb is a must-have for characters who focus heavily on spellcasting. Confuse is related to her confusion on Maxim not returning her feelings, Drain is something I envision her learning to support Maxim, and Fake is just because her AGL is pretty high.
Strong [start]
Spark [start]
Confuse
Fireball
Fake
(Other spells for Ancient Cave access: Stronger, Champion, Firebird, Rally, Valor, Absorb, Drain... She needs a few more, but I basically want her to be a combination of Maxim and Artea, but with fire magic.)

Selan: Given the role of Black Mage. A true mystic knight who primarily specializes in subterfuge and large-area attacks. Given that her comparable characters also learn fire and thunder magic, it seemed fitting,
Light
Spark [start]
Flash [start]
Drowsy [start]
Escape [start]
Warp [start]
Light [start]
Confuse
Fireball
Fake
Trick
Bolt
Perish
Absorb
Coma
Firebird
Thunder
Succumb
Drain

Lexis: Mostly given different things, this or that, here and there. He learns only fire and ice as I like to think he'd be utterly fascinated about the way they cancel out. Basic heal and ailment cure magic for injury treatment, and a couple of random spells that seem to align with his character.
Stronger [start]
Fireball [start]
Blizzard [start]
Bravery [start]
Rally [start]
Strong
Spark
Detox
Gale
Release
Perish
Courage
Ice Valk
Mute

Artea: I couldn't directly compare him to Jerin or Milka, and there was no major role that fit him, so I modeled him after his Lufia I appearance and expanded on it. Holy magic makes up for the loss of his explosion magic.
Dragon [start]
Valor [start]
Warp [start]
Detox
Droplet
Release
Trick
Vortex
Rally
Absorb
Waken
Courage
Mirror
Fry
Zap
Mute
[close]

Lufia III:
- Most importantly, this game also needs an Always Retry Mode patch. I would really like to provide one.
- There's a softlock one can easily encounter: remove Wain and Seena from the party shortly before they're teleported to the Tower of Twilight alone. Your party will default to being empty. The next time you get into a battle, it's a Game Over. I'd like to see about getting this fixed.
- Upon picking a set of ultimate equipment from Parethea Shrine and exiting, if you try to cast Warp the game freezes. I would like this fixed.
- I want to remove the four unreachable items in Midy's church, Gologolo Cave B1, Pirate Island Cave B11, and destroyed Siantao--basically so the Chest Sonar no longer pings in there.
- i also need to change Tough Hide to Hard Hide

I'm open to realizing the above ideas, but I think these projects are as good as they're getting, and I'm content with calling them "completed." :)

JKPhage

Rock on dude! I'm glad to see that you're happy with what you've done on the project.

I'll keep my ear to the ground for any tweaks made to Lufia III to squash those few remaining bugs, and I definitely wouldn't hate these proposed optional patches to the title screens so the logos/titles are consistent across the series. Until such time as those drop (if they do), I'm adding these to my collection and looking forward to playing them through with all the fantastic polish I've come to expect from your work.

Thanks for being awesome!

Vanya

Quote from: FlamePurge on November 06, 2022, 11:10:17 PMWhat's next for these projects?

Lufia I:
- I anticipate v3.0 being the last version, but that doesn't mean there aren't things I still want to do with this game.
- A pie-in-the-sky idea, if the text dictionary is ever decompressed, is to change the prologue script to match that of Lufia II. (With modifications to fit the slightly different events, of course.)
- I believe the German fan translation was able to change the logo to reflect later games, so I'd like to offer an optional patch for that. The rainbow logo is kind of nice, even if it's not used in anything else.
- A really, really outlandish idea would be to shut off ineffective attacks entirely, but I don't know how that'd work. It's basically the last thing stopping this game from feeling complete.

Lufia II:
- I anticipate v5.2-T being the last version, barring any updates from Artemis.
- I would like to offer optional a possibly unrelated patch to remove the "II" from the title logo and splash screen. Basically, NTSC-U's subtitle "Rise of the Sinistrals" and PAL's "Lufia" would combine into one nice logo. Lufia II ended up being the only numbered game in the series, and it's just an oddity at this point, especially since it's a prequel.
- Magic Restrictions. Definitely for an optional project, but I would like the spellcasters to start with and be able to learn less magic. There's so little differentiation that it's pointless. I've played the game with self-imposed restrictions on before and it feels good.

Lufia III:
- Most importantly, this game also needs an Always Retry Mode patch. I would really like to provide one.
- There's a softlock one can easily encounter: remove Wain and Seena from the party shortly before they're teleported to the Tower of Twilight alone. Your party will default to being empty. The next time you get into a battle, it's a Game Over. I'd like to see about getting this fixed.
- Upon picking a set of ultimate equipment from Parethea Shrine, if you try to cast Warp, the game freezes. I would like this fixed.
- I want to remove the four unreachable items in Midy's church, Gologolo Cave B1, Pirate Island Cave B11, and destroyed Siantao--basically so the Chest Sonar no longer pings in there.

I'm open to realizing the above ideas, but I think these projects are as good as they're getting, and I'm content with calling them "completed." :)

Those all sound great! They would be the cherry on top for sure.

Thanks for all the work you've put in!

Artemis

I'll do an update soon, however, your version will be fully compatible with both, Frue and Spekkio.

Though, the Deflect spell should be called Silence instead of Mute, as it plays in the same league as Coma (both spells have a chance of 80% to inflict their respective status ailment).

FlamePurge

Quote from: Artemis on November 08, 2022, 08:51:16 PMI'll do an update soon, however, your version will be fully compatible with both, Frue and Spekkio.

Though, the Deflect spell should be called Silence instead of Mute, as it plays in the same league as Coma (both spells have a chance of 80% to inflict their respective status ailment).
Good to know! I figured that Natsume might have had a good reason for calling it deflect, but most of the time I'm of the mind that if the first tier of a spell doesn't exist in a game, it should probably be named after the first. I know that's a little weird, but I feel it's more consistent?

If the next version will be compatible, and it's compatible with Spekkio, I'll have to update my versioning and documentation appropriately. Thanks so much for your continued work on this over the years, it's hard to believe that we all started this what feels like half a lifetime ago!

Artemis

FlamePurge

Much appreciated! I'll give a look at it tomorrow.

Edit 1 - 6.0 looks great. Excited for your next release. When you formally submit it to RHDN, I'll make a new addendum patch. I'm especially happy FT is Spekkio-compatible. :)

Just a random thought, but I think I want to make a spreadsheet categorizing differences remaining between versions for any concerned purists out there. For example, off the top of my head, Lufia III had to use Shld instead of Shield or Targe due to space issues, and I accidentally left the item Hard Leather as Tough Hide because it didn't sink in that they're the same item. (I would likely revise it to Hard Hide--again, space issues--if I found significant differences beyond that).

Edit 2 - Clarified my second paragraph. I still need to make the Lufia III treasure collection spreadsheet first, so the above concept isn't coming anytime soon.

Artemis

I'll wait with the submission until your final version is ready then.

FlamePurge

Quote from: Artemis on November 09, 2022, 03:56:36 AMI'll wait with the submission until your final version is ready then.
Oh, sorry for the miscommunication. I probably won't be releasing anything anytime soon for I and III. I wouldn't be doing anything for II, beyond making it compatible with your most recent revision, and I'd need to wait on you to formally submit an update regardless. 😅 I would feel silly to release an addendum for a version that isn't yet in RHDN's database.

The spreadsheet would be just for fun, and maybe to help me if I want to revise the first or third game at all. (I don't think an entirely new patch is warranted for a single item name, for example.)