News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Lufia I Restored 2.4.1 | Lufia III Text Cleanup 2.0 | Frue Lufia Addendum 2.2  (Read 5817 times)

abw

• View Profile
Re: Lufia I Restored v2.4 | Lufia III Text Cleanup v1.9
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 05:22:02 pm »
By the way, I know yours was only an example, but the SNES header is 512 bytes.
Yeah, fair point, 256 was just habit from some non-ROM hacking things I use dd for. For the sake of posterity, I've edited my post to use 512 bytes instead of 256. I've never used it before, but uCON64 does look neat!

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Lufia I Restored v2.4.1 | Lufia III Text Cleanup v1.9
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2018, 02:24:59 pm »
Frue Lufia: Trilogy Addendum is now v2.2. It can be found in the opening post.

- Khukuri, Ironmail, and Fury Ring have all been reverted to their stock Frue Lufia names, Kukri, Iron Mail, and Frenzy Ring. (I would have also liked to revert Light Knife to Bright Knife, but unfortunately, its counterpart in Lufia III is bound by a 10-letter limit.)

- Narvick residents no longer refer to Doom Island as Sky Island.

- The changelog now has expanded details for each name change.

---

Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup is now v2.0. It is has just been added to the site submission queue, so it's not up yet. I anticipate this being the final release of this mod.

- Ruby's ThundrCard is now Bolt Card, for consistency with the elemental rings.

- Khukuri, Ironmail, and Fury Ring have all been renamed to match the Trilogy Addendum. (Kukri, Iron Mail, and FrenzyRing) Remember, if a shared name changes in one patch, it has to change in others!

In the interest of full disclosure, I was considering changing Nouveaux to Noobow. But apparently, the mascot Noobow is yellow, so I decided to keep the name Nouveaux as a tribute to D in Lufia I and II.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 09:34:11 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
Re: Lufia I Restored v2.4 | Lufia III Text Cleanup v1.9
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2018, 07:31:48 pm »
Yeah, what SCO said. You can't apply the patch to an unheadered ROM, but using IPSbehead on the patch will allow you to apply it to an unheadered ROM.

2.4.1 is up on the site. I probably have to do a documentation update but there won't be any patch updates.

I got it working using Easy IPSBehead - (http://www.robin64.co.uk/)
I love this pack you've set up. I've long been a fan of your work. When I get around to doing Lufia playthroughs, they will certainly be of these patches <3

I'll likely opt for the small textboxes in Lufia 3 though so more of the screen is visible. I pumped some hours into that back in the day and still remember the glory of getting my Daos armor for beating him early. I'm looking forward to playing it again (2 ftw though)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:50:55 pm by Shade Aurion »

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Lufia I Restored 2.4.1 | Lufia III Text Cleanup 2.0 | Frue Lufia Addendum 2.2
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2018, 10:47:21 pm »
Aww, thanks Shade Aurion! I appreciate the support. This series is a pet fave of mine and I hoped to give them the respect they deserve. The small text boxes patch in Lufia III is the one I personally use as well. It's just so neat! I noticed Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn in your signature. In that case, you may enjoy the origins of the intermediary elemental rings' new names. Frost Ring and Shock Ring come from what HZD calls ice and lightning elemental damage. And Blaze Ring, of course, comes from the Blaze resource in HZD.

------

Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup v2.0 is officially on RHDN. Please install it to a fresh Lufia: TLR ROM.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 02:03:45 pm by vivify93 »

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
Re: Lufia I Restored 2.4.1 | Lufia III Text Cleanup 2.0 | Frue Lufia Addendum 2.2
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 05:06:42 am »
Aww, thanks Shade Aurion! I appreciate the support. This series is a pet fave of mine and I hoped to give them the respect they deserve. The small text boxes patch in Lufia III is the one I personally use as well. It's just so neat! I noticed Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn in your signature. In that case, you may enjoy the origins of the intermediary elemental rings' new names. Frost Ring and Shock Ring come from what HZD calls ice and lightning elemental damage. And Blaze Ring, of course, comes from the Blaze resource in HZD.

------

Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup v2.0 is officially on RHDN. Please install it to a fresh Lufia: TLR ROM.

Oh nice! Yeah my signature displays whatever last game I played on playstation though I mainly play on PC these days. Horizon was a solid game though but I feel I can't say the same for a lot of current gen games. I always end up going back to tried and true classic like the Lufia series ^_^ I'm glad you wen through and cleaned them up well. It'll make my job a lot easier down the line when I do playthroughs on my channel which since i'll be doing Lufia will likely be 100% runs. I look forward to the fixed Ancient Cave from Artemis' patch :D

I also use your Another Story translation, BoF text clean up, Final Fantasy Legend 1 and 2 proper case and your Secret of Mana one. Quality of life mods go a long way sometimes <3

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2018, 01:52:22 pm »
Is there any chance you'd make an optional patch for L2 to replace the Natsume & Lufia(c) splash screens with just the JAP Taito splash or the Nintendo & Taito PAL splash screens?
I'm a big fan of this particular game (and the franchise in general) and I'd really love to get rid the US splash screens. Something similar where one could optionally choose between JAP-USA-PAL title logos would be nice.
I hope you don't feel like this is an inappropriate petition, I just thought this could be a good chance to ask for that here where Lufia is receiving some love from the rom-hacking community. Would you consider doing that for at least the Frue Lufia version?

Anyway, thanks to everyone involved in the making of those Lufia patches!

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2018, 07:47:00 pm »
It's a lovely suggestion. Unfortunately, it's a little beyond my skill. Further, I think I'd rather keep Natsume's logo anyway because I enjoyed their scripts a lot--just not the censorship, inconsistency, or typos, lol.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
I actually got all nostalgic so I started a playthrough of the patched Lufia 2. It's uploading now and will be available at https://youtu.be/_WnczsKIuVI

I added this to the description:

"This version of Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals is being run in conjunction with Artemis' Frue Lufia mod/fix and Vivify93's Text Addendum. With these, various broken aspects of the game have been fixed and the script and item names cleaned up."

Is that fair to say or should I edit it to be more accurate?

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
That sounds pretty fair to say. I'd like it if you'd note that Artemis, Relnqshd, and Rainponcho were the ones who did the actual bug fixing, and I just tidied things up slightly on top of it all.

Thanks for playing; I hope you enjoy!

Zuqkeo

• View Profile
    • Yaworg - Yet another website on retro gaming
That may be true vivify, but you pulled through. :thumbsup: That's important too, I remember starting on an editor a while ago, but it was put in a 'deep freeze' state for quite some time.