News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Lufia I Restored 2.4.1 | Lufia III Text Cleanup 2.1 | Frue Lufia Addendum 2.4  (Read 12314 times)

abw

• View Profile
Re: Lufia I Restored v2.4 | Lufia III Text Cleanup v1.9
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 05:22:02 pm »
By the way, I know yours was only an example, but the SNES header is 512 bytes.
Yeah, fair point, 256 was just habit from some non-ROM hacking things I use dd for. For the sake of posterity, I've edited my post to use 512 bytes instead of 256. I've never used it before, but uCON64 does look neat!

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Re: Lufia I Restored v2.4.1 | Lufia III Text Cleanup v1.9
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2018, 02:24:59 pm »
Frue Lufia: Trilogy Addendum is now v2.2. It can be found in the opening post.

- Khukuri, Ironmail, and Fury Ring have all been reverted to their stock Frue Lufia names, Kukri, Iron Mail, and Frenzy Ring. (I would have also liked to revert Light Knife to Bright Knife, but unfortunately, its counterpart in Lufia III is bound by a 10-letter limit.)

- Narvick residents no longer refer to Doom Island as Sky Island.

- The changelog now has expanded details for each name change.

---

Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup is now v2.0. It is has just been added to the site submission queue, so it's not up yet. I anticipate this being the final release of this mod.

- Ruby's ThundrCard is now Bolt Card, for consistency with the elemental rings.

- Khukuri, Ironmail, and Fury Ring have all been renamed to match the Trilogy Addendum. (Kukri, Iron Mail, and FrenzyRing) Remember, if a shared name changes in one patch, it has to change in others!

In the interest of full disclosure, I was considering changing Nouveaux to Noobow. But apparently, the mascot Noobow is yellow, so I decided to keep the name Nouveaux as a tribute to D in Lufia I and II.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 09:34:11 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
Re: Lufia I Restored v2.4 | Lufia III Text Cleanup v1.9
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2018, 07:31:48 pm »
Yeah, what SCO said. You can't apply the patch to an unheadered ROM, but using IPSbehead on the patch will allow you to apply it to an unheadered ROM.

2.4.1 is up on the site. I probably have to do a documentation update but there won't be any patch updates.

I got it working using Easy IPSBehead - (http://www.robin64.co.uk/)
I love this pack you've set up. I've long been a fan of your work. When I get around to doing Lufia playthroughs, they will certainly be of these patches <3

I'll likely opt for the small textboxes in Lufia 3 though so more of the screen is visible. I pumped some hours into that back in the day and still remember the glory of getting my Daos armor for beating him early. I'm looking forward to playing it again (2 ftw though)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:50:55 pm by Shade Aurion »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Re: Lufia I Restored 2.4.1 | Lufia III Text Cleanup 2.0 | Frue Lufia Addendum 2.2
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2018, 10:47:21 pm »
Aww, thanks Shade Aurion! I appreciate the support. This series is a pet fave of mine and I hoped to give them the respect they deserve. The small text boxes patch in Lufia III is the one I personally use as well. It's just so neat! I noticed Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn in your signature. In that case, you may enjoy the origins of the intermediary elemental rings' new names. Frost Ring and Shock Ring come from what HZD calls ice and lightning elemental damage. And Blaze Ring, of course, comes from the Blaze resource in HZD.

------

Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup v2.0 is officially on RHDN. Please install it to a fresh Lufia: TLR ROM.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 02:03:45 pm by vivify93 »

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
Re: Lufia I Restored 2.4.1 | Lufia III Text Cleanup 2.0 | Frue Lufia Addendum 2.2
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 05:06:42 am »
Aww, thanks Shade Aurion! I appreciate the support. This series is a pet fave of mine and I hoped to give them the respect they deserve. The small text boxes patch in Lufia III is the one I personally use as well. It's just so neat! I noticed Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn in your signature. In that case, you may enjoy the origins of the intermediary elemental rings' new names. Frost Ring and Shock Ring come from what HZD calls ice and lightning elemental damage. And Blaze Ring, of course, comes from the Blaze resource in HZD.

------

Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup v2.0 is officially on RHDN. Please install it to a fresh Lufia: TLR ROM.

Oh nice! Yeah my signature displays whatever last game I played on playstation though I mainly play on PC these days. Horizon was a solid game though but I feel I can't say the same for a lot of current gen games. I always end up going back to tried and true classic like the Lufia series ^_^ I'm glad you wen through and cleaned them up well. It'll make my job a lot easier down the line when I do playthroughs on my channel which since i'll be doing Lufia will likely be 100% runs. I look forward to the fixed Ancient Cave from Artemis' patch :D

I also use your Another Story translation, BoF text clean up, Final Fantasy Legend 1 and 2 proper case and your Secret of Mana one. Quality of life mods go a long way sometimes <3

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2018, 01:52:22 pm »
Is there any chance you'd make an optional patch for L2 to replace the Natsume & Lufia(c) splash screens with just the JAP Taito splash or the Nintendo & Taito PAL splash screens?
I'm a big fan of this particular game (and the franchise in general) and I'd really love to get rid the US splash screens. Something similar where one could optionally choose between JAP-USA-PAL title logos would be nice.
I hope you don't feel like this is an inappropriate petition, I just thought this could be a good chance to ask for that here where Lufia is receiving some love from the rom-hacking community. Would you consider doing that for at least the Frue Lufia version?

Anyway, thanks to everyone involved in the making of those Lufia patches!

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2018, 07:47:00 pm »
It's a lovely suggestion. Unfortunately, it's a little beyond my skill. Further, I think I'd rather keep Natsume's logo anyway because I enjoyed their scripts a lot--just not the censorship, inconsistency, or typos, lol.

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
I actually got all nostalgic so I started a playthrough of the patched Lufia 2. It's uploading now and will be available at https://youtu.be/_WnczsKIuVI

I added this to the description:

"This version of Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals is being run in conjunction with Artemis' Frue Lufia mod/fix and Vivify93's Text Addendum. With these, various broken aspects of the game have been fixed and the script and item names cleaned up."

Is that fair to say or should I edit it to be more accurate?

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
That sounds pretty fair to say. I'd like it if you'd note that Artemis, Relnqshd, and Rainponcho were the ones who did the actual bug fixing, and I just tidied things up slightly on top of it all.

Thanks for playing; I hope you enjoy!

Zuqkeo

• View Profile
    • Yaworg - Yet another website on retro gaming
That may be true vivify, but you pulled through. :thumbsup: That's important too, I remember starting on an editor a while ago, but it was put in a 'deep freeze' state for quite some time.

Digitsie

• View Profile
Frue Lufia has been updated to 4.0... the never-ending tinkering continues, eh? :D

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Most of it was item names I don't want to implement. I'll release a v2.3 that incorporates what I did want from Frue Lufia v4, but it only has these changes.

- Tap Rose > Taplows
- Mermaid NPC's text updated

I did look at enemy and item names though; looks like a lot of changes in official Frue Lufia v4 are either from something Martze suggested or things that Artemis implemented from my Addendum.

Edit - Out and available on the first page of this thread
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 04:27:39 am by vivify93 »

Digitsie

• View Profile
Thanks! That's awesome to look at.

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
Okay so i'm just about to reach Heret Kingdom in Lufia 1 and I have a few notes in case you ever wanted to patch.
In game, Amon is repeatedly referred to as the "Sinistral of Terror", despite him actually being the "Sinistral of Chaos" Also, It might be worth dropping the encounter rate and increasing the time that Sweet Waters works. Having increased run speed helps a lot but the encounters often happening every 5 or so steps is so painful and ultimately bog the game down with an overwhelming amount of encounters, especially on the ocean. I know this is just a thing that used to happen in this era of RPGs but it would be a real quality of life improvement if encounter rates were lowered. Lastly, perhaps having Retry Mode available from the beginning would be nice touch but ultimately unneccessary. I'm playing on NG and there have been a few times where it has been very very grindy.

I'm a few episodes off Heret Kingdom in my Let's Play (Currently ongoing. Doing them in chronological order) but you can see it here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8jq-T82mjE&list=PLVFlHPy0Pa9tsPbSGCQbVJBA2uh5fhEBq

If I were going to add anything to Lufia 1 it would be adding darker outlines to the sprites to make them more closely resemble the sprites from Lufia II and maybe add some dialog somewhere with the main character referring to his father 'Jeros' As much as I could dig, the closest thing to a canon name for the hero was Nova though that is questionable - https://lufia.fandom.com/wiki/Maxim%27s_descendant

"The screenshots in the English game manual refer to him as "Nova"."

Perhaps adopting that as the closest thing to a canon name he could be referred to as that name in the intro sequence to Lufia 3.

"The Hero is mentioned in the introduction as as Maxim's descendant and the leading figure of the 2nd Doom Island War. In the description, he had to sacrifice Lufia, the girl he loved, in order to save the world."

So instead of Maxim's Descendant, It could be "Maxim's descendant, son of Jeros, Nova" just to tie in the family line. I dunno..

--

Lufia II's Let's Play has long been complete but I did have a few notes. Overall it's perfect. Having Retry available from the beginning would be nice as you'd still have Gift Mode to unlock but again, not necessary. A few NPCs had some oddly worded dialog but it's all solid as a whole. Some end game stats and the credits in general were kinda broken though. Aside from that, it's the best way to play Lufia II hands down.

My full Let's Play is available here. It should be 100% completion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WnczsKIuVI&list=PLVFlHPy0Pa9thA-EoXtEMn-dO16S-NR-T

It'd be cool to add onto the game a few things like using the Japanese versions variant puzzles somewhere, like the Sword Shrine and Ancient Tower's. The Sword Shrine's could serve as an extra room and the Ancient Tower's could simply be added back in. Based on what The Cutting Room Floor said about the Ancient Tower's cut puzzle, you could allude to the solution with a plaque on the wall fairly easily. Adding in the unused prototype tracks would be pretty cool too. Gades has a different sprite in the prototype as well so it'd be cool if the first time you fight him if that were the used sprite, though the feet would need some work (i'd be happy to fix them up)

From what I gather, the Doom Island map is traversable beyond the "We can't turn back now" dialog within the final area of the game. A cool thing to add in would be to add collision to said map, make it traversable and to REALLY tie things up, create a small map for Arek's shrine at the bottom, populate it with final floor Ancient Cave enemies that are unavailable elsewhere in the game and make the aim to open up the warpzone at the bottom of the map so you can return to the world below making the final area somewhere you can leave. You could add a small warp shrine in somewhere that requires a key for entry that could be obtained within Arek's Shrine and you could add in items like the Old Sword/Armor/etc to make it worthwhile.

Lastly, if the above were added, I feel like you could get away with making Tia, Lexis and Dekar selectable characters in the world below but script it so that you're forced to take Selan, Guy and Artea for the final battle. It would give players 3 other characters to equip and max out that they could take into the Ancient Cave whenever they felt like it. Gift Mode would still have a point as it's just the Ancient Cave really but this would overall open up the gameplay, customization and give more characters to equip/max out. All of this would take a lot of work no doubt but it could be accomplished without taking too many creative liberties.

Lastly, I obtained all the Iris Treasures and you pretty much get a high five as your reward which is kinda lame. If an equipment/item set pertaining to each Iris Treasure were created that you can take into the Ancient Cave and you only obtain them once you get them all Iris Treasues. That would make it worthwhile. Maybe make the Master Slime allow for switching Capsule Monsters out of Master form without fruits. Maybe make the jar a reuseable Hi-Magic or something.. I dunno, it's just a long winded bunch of outlandish suggestions that could be seen as a decent add-on haha

To be honest, there were far less Blue Chest treasures then I remember. It'd be cool to have more. Maybe an Idura Rapier with Plasma Blaster or Idura Armor with Idura Thunder and stuff like that.

--

All bugs and ridiculous suggestions aside, I will be doing a full run of Lufia III after 1 to complete the Trilogy (Ruins of Lore is dead to me XD)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 11:22:17 pm by Shade Aurion »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Great suggestions; hopefully someone could tackle some of them someday. They are all very much beyond my ability (Yes, even further Lufia I dialogue changes. The dialogue dictionary has still not been decoded yet.) but I like the sounds of a lot of them.

And The Ruins of Lore is dead to me, too. :P It's not that bad of a game, but it drops the ball on the plot repeatedly in new and disappointing ways at every twist.

Artemis

• View Profile
About L2's ending, dunno, looks like an emulator issue to me.

And the Egg Dragon stat actually refers to the party level (or was it maxim's level?) when you beat him the first time. That why it's 99 for you. In the newest version it's called "Egg Dragon win level" now.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Probably an emulator issue, because the font is like Secret of Mana's menu font. HDMA? I don't remember. But it uses that to make it look smooth.

I'll change "Egg Dragon defeated."

There's also going to be a Lufia III update, because apparently, Erim's attacks "Devastation Wave" and "Eerie Light" were changed to "Slaughter Wave" and "Mystic Light". I'd just change it back in Lufia II, but I'm too stupid to know how to mess around with the pointers.

No idea when this will happen. Eventually, though.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 01:12:35 am by vivify93 »

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
Most of what I said are just suggestions that wouldn't mess with the overall lore/story too much to add in some crazy extra features. I wouldn't expect either of you to do them because they would both take a lot of patience and ace level coding and Lufia 2 is pretty perfect as is. I was just racking my brain over any way you could make it better so I don't expect anyone to actually do any of this XD

I had no idea it was the party level on the Egg Dragon. I think I might also just have a bad dump because I was running it in Snes9x 2010 so it should be fine. I probably just screwed something up. Either way, just amazing work. I really enjoyed Lufia II [Frue] and i'm really loving Lufia I (now I have all the Alumina haha)

Looking forward to doing Lufia III too. Its been awhile but I did finish it back in the day and really enjoyed it :3

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Well, I messed up a little. I neglected to add the proper date and version number to the top of the readme of Lufia TLR Text Cleanup v2.1. But it's been submitted to RHDN. Eerie Light becomes Mystic Light; Devastation Wave becomes Slaughter Wave. Here's a Ze Bucket mirror (Whose readme has the correct date/ver. number) for those who wish to update ASAP. http://www.bwass.org/bucket/LTLR_TextCleanv2-1.zip

Frue Lufia Addendum is 2.4 and has renamed "Egg Dragon defeated:" to "Egg Dragon win level:". Enemy attack "Mokujinken" becomes "Woodenfist", and "Idura-Thunder" becomes "Idura Thunder". There are no other changes. http://www.bwass.org/bucket/FrueLufia-TrilogyAddendumv2-4.zip

Lufia I Restored has received no updates.

Edit - 2.4.1, 2.4, and 2.1... Those won't get confused at all. :P
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 10:45:38 pm by vivify93 »

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
Do I add the addendum of Lufia 3 to a fresh version of my rom or over the top of an already patched version?
Nice fast work man. Well done <3