News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Good games with bad ports  (Read 11864 times)

Starscream

• View Profile
Re: Good games with bad ports
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2016, 09:30:36 am »
The Genesis port of Might and Magic II seemed nice until I realized that enemies attack characters always in the same order. Also, there was a change concerning character attacks, they can now also directly attack when in the back. I'm not sure if I remember this right, but I think this also is the case for the SNES version, so those may not be bugs. I've read that the console versions have their fair share of those as well though.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2016, 11:24:12 am »
The PlayStation port of Shadowman. Not only it lags like hell, the whole BS of game caching animations in real time makes it virtually impossible to play.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2016, 11:51:14 am »
About the Might and Magic 2, as far as I know some of the PAL SNES versions didn't have that issue, although probably have other bugs (knowing how these ports usually go it would be common).

I just remembered anther bad port: Grandia II!

Grandia II on dreamcast is much, much better than in PS2. The PS2 suffers from severe framerate drops (Because the game was designed to take advantage of the Dreamcast's extra Video RAM), it could freeze for no reason, it had a lower resolution, suffered audio issues where combat sentences would be muted or not synced to the action, enemy AI problems (that could case a battle to never end) and sometimes characters would turn white and stay white for the rest of the battle...

Also, the introduction of the game (made with ingame graphics on the Dreamcast) was changed into a boring charmless FMV sequence. The dreamcast intro is quite a bit more fun to look at, at least in my modest opinion of course.

Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life had also a very, very poor port to the PS2 from the Gamecube. It's just plain worse, looks inferior and it feels in constant slowdown. It had a couple of new things compared to the GC version, but honestly, they're not worth it at all...

Sonic Heroes on PS2 it's also a piece of crap. Absolutely horrible framerate (to compare, GC has stable 60 fps, PS2 has 30 with drops) pretty bad controls, lower resolution and worse textures, and long loading times. Rumors say that Sega didn't want to put Sonic into Sony's consoles (And I could see why, seeing how much the Play Station brand hurt their own consoles) but Sony threatened them with not allowing them to put their other games on PS2 if Sega didn't bring the Hedgehog to their system, so they outsourced this lousy port.

Actually, now that I think about it, PS2 has a lot of disappointing ports, mainly when they were developed in more powerful consoles (GC or XBOX). Psychonauts or Killer7 are two other quick examples that come to my mind.

Oh, by the way, Psychonauts on PS3 I remember it could turn your console OFF in a certain part (which I find hilarious).
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 08:13:48 am »
Since some of you mentioned the games I was thinking about...
If console->PC ports are allowed there's an enormous list, but I'd say some recent console->PC ports:

Batman: Arkham Knight
Had terrible performance on PC despite playing with CPU and GPU with more than x3 or x4 raw power
compared to the consoles hardware, even being downgraded visually, and initially limited to 30fps.

Tales of Symphonia/Tales of Zestiria (officially now mostly fixed taking from unofficial fix)
Bad frame limiter (and at 30 fps too) and capped at 720p (Symphonia). Many many bugs of all kinds,
from localization bugs to un-synced cutscenes to plain crashes. Not to mention this ToS comes from the
downgraded PS2 then scaled for PS3 port, instead of taking resources from the original GC version.

Final Fantasy III/V/VI (not fixed AFAIK)
Plain obvious, but also... terrible gamepad compatibility, inappropriate UI, generic bugs, crashes, savefile
corruption and/or deletion, and even not being able to advance past a certain point in the game (FFVI).

Final Fantasy XIII (now fixed)
Bad frame limiter and capped at 720p resolution.

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (now fixed, unofficially)
No way to choose Japanese voices (though present), bad frame limiter, and capped at 30fps.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate
Instead of porting the graphically enhanced version for PS4 and XBO they went with the older consoles' version.
Plain, simple, ugly. And no enhanced physics. :P

Those are the ones I remember most.

P.S.: Oh, wait, FF7/8/9 too...

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2016, 12:00:50 am »
Final Fantasy VI is, by most accounts, a game worth trying out, if not getting horribly addicted to and falling in love with.

However, the PSX version included in Final Fantasy Anthology was unacceptable to say the least.

Right from the first second you know it, because the damn thing does not sound right. It sounds like someone traumatized Final Fantasy VI and it has recovered, but it's 10x as on edge and stressed out as it was before. Snare sounds are too quiet. Instruments don't have the same tone they used to. Previously legato notes now sound staccato. The list goes on and on, and that includes the sound effects. Nothing about the sound engine was done well, in my opinion.

Secondly, you are completely bullshitting me if you are trying to tell me that it takes 5 seconds to load battles in any version of Final Fantasy VI. This one, yes, but horse shit. It does not take 5 seconds to load these battles! No other system had a problem doing this except the PSX! Have you ever gotten in a Battle in, say Lunar: The Silver Star? You are, unlike most games, given no visual cue whatsoever; the screen simply goes black, and then blinds you with some kind of white-orange-chromakey, and you're in. So it's not that it's a CD game. Lunar had longer battle music than FFVI you see, and animated enemies. You are not telling me that Lunar could load all manner of battles in a heartbeat, but they couldn't get FFVI to load its battle screens in less than 5 seconds? Laziness, I say.

Thirdly, Memory Card Saving slows the game down to a crawl or forces you to rely on not saving much. This isn't as bad a thing to have as the first two, but it is really annoying.

Add on top of all that that they basically gave the translation a few typographical touch-ups and called it a day, and you have one unhappy FF6 camper in Spooniest, the Spooniest Bard.

I say, what a festering piece of utter shit. FFVI PSX.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2016, 09:18:52 am »
The problem with FF6 PSX is that it loads over 1 MB worth of code just for the battle banks converted to MIPS code, and it's compressed already. It's so bloated the code size is very much 2-4x bigger than the original, depending on whichever opcode it implements. They could have handled it much better and kept data flow from CD to a minimum, but TOSE is well known for super shitty ports. Chrono Trigger on the PlayStation was far worse than FF6.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2016, 11:05:08 am »
Not to mention only a few bugs were fixed in the PS1 edition.  It surprised me that they didn't take more time to fix the important stuff at least, I guess in the end more attention was put into Chrono Trigger's enhancement due to the FMVs (and even if suffered a ton).

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2016, 11:36:38 am »
Right from the first second you know it, because the damn thing does not sound right. It sounds like someone traumatized Final Fantasy VI and it has recovered, but it's 10x as on edge and stressed out as it was before. Snare sounds are too quiet. Instruments don't have the same tone they used to. Previously legato notes now sound staccato. The list goes on and on, and that includes the sound effects. Nothing about the sound engine was done well, in my opinion.
Honestly it sounds like Square took their sound engine from ZSNES (okay, maybe SNES9x).
Playing Chrono Trigger, it had some of the same flaws as contemporary fan emulators (like the "wind" sounding more like TV static, and muffled enemy growls, which is something I think bsnes/higan was the first to get right. Wii VC did that one right too, I think. But I've heard Nintendo's SPC "emulation" was pretty hacky and filled with samples... which I'm guessing means they patch in recordings from an actual console?)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2016, 12:05:13 pm »
Well, they tried to port Duke Nukem 3D to the Game.com, and that worked out horribly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V72P9-6S7qM

They also did the same with Resident Evil 2. That didn't work either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4-QxmzxkN8

Earthworm Jim also got some horrible GBA ports:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hrf_jcYRUE

And we all know about Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis for GBA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccuoC2WuYoM

Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2016, 01:54:31 pm »
I know Sonic Genesis is a bad port but I enjoy playing it. Cause I kinda get sick of the regular Sonic 1 cause it's been re-released so many times. It's still playable for the most part, it's not like one of those pirates. I can beat it and all that.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2016, 04:20:18 pm »
And we all know about Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis for GBA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccuoC2WuYoM
Ah yes, the port so terrible that someone decided to counter it with their own proof of concept.

and even not being able to advance past a certain point in the game (FFVI).
IIRC this was fixed pretty hastily on mobile at least, along with a spelling error in the very beginning.  Talk about a rushed port in general; I actually like V (on mobile only) but VI's just a bag of "no" outside of Cyan and being basically GBA with fixed music.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 04:26:24 pm by Chronosplit »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2016, 06:25:27 pm »
Oh god. Yeah, I remember the PSX ports of FF IV-VI and Chrono Trigger. Those sucked so much ass. I was pretty excited about them too, but after a couple of battles it was like "No. This isn't going to work. There is an unnecessary delay of a few seconds here. Over the course of a play through that might literally add hours to a game for absolutely no good reason". Seriously, fuck those versions.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2016, 01:40:37 am »
The PC port of Konami's TMNT1 can't be completed, the physics were ported incorrectly which makes a required jump in, IIRC, area 3 impossible to make.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2017, 11:31:17 am »
The King of Dragon Pass's mobile version (which later made it to only Steam much like the FF mobile ports, elsewhere it's the original fixed up to work on newer computers) had the boneheaded idea of making it so you can't win via peace and trade by removing a slider that modified how many crafters you could have.  The devs of the mobile version later said that this whole slider was a bug in the original.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2017, 02:26:37 pm »
Oh god. Yeah, I remember the PSX ports of FF IV-VI and Chrono Trigger. Those sucked so much ass. I was pretty excited about them too, but after a couple of battles it was like "No. This isn't going to work. There is an unnecessary delay of a few seconds here. Over the course of a play through that might literally add hours to a game for absolutely no good reason". Seriously, fuck those versions.

I remember playing through FF6, and Chrono Trigger back in the day, mainly because I couldn't find the SNES versions back then. Outside of the loading times, Chrono Trigger (at the time) felt pretty spot on, where as FF6 was kind of all over the place (the pointer sound effect was a constant reminder of that).

I actually did most of a playthrough of CT a while back as a PSP Eboot because I couldn't stand the choppiness and shitty sound effects CT has on the SNES9X psp port. I stopped at Zeal lol. But at least the monster roars sounded closer to  "BRAH!" than "woo~!"  :laugh:

DOOM - SNES port: Pretend that you need glasses to see anything, and you decide to take those glasses off and try to play the PC version in the default resolution with the worst PC imaginable. That's pretty much what this port looks like. The music sounds pretty sweet through the SPC, and the cart looks fucking AWESOME.... but that's about it lol.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2017, 05:48:07 pm »
Well, now that I think about it and if I have to be honest, I'd take the PSX ports of these old Squaresoft games over the IOS ports. The inconsistent artistic direction and the absolute lack of care is obnoxious and, in general,  they look incredibly amateurish to the point where I can't take them serously, at all.

And each port had their own issues besides the visuals ones (I loved the typo in the first sentence on FFVI before it was patched).

And thinking about those ports, I just remember that another disappointing IOS port was Mega Man X, which looked worse than the original, and feels really, really bland. The original graphics received the same punishment that the FF games got, pretty much. Not only that, but has MANY frames of animation missing, and even some tracks from the OST are nowhere to be found. The intro looks just as bland as the sprites instead of the cool little intro of the original.

Oh, and by the way: The stage changes are not present. They just don't exist. One of the biggest features in the game, went right out the window.

Heck, the game doesn't even scroll, it divides the stages in small chunks and fades to black to change to the next part of that stage (Not even a different section, just another chunk of the same part of the level):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbht_bSvKcs

I'll never understand how a company can be okay with this type of shit, not even with a "cashgrab" mentality (This will probably make you look bad, and make new people lose interest in a series, and old fans wanting to play it "on the go" will get angry to, both of which could have brought you the money you want so much).

The original IOS ports of Sonic 1 and 2 were also fucking terrible (Not the Christian Whitehead ones, the ones I mentioned appeared before). At least when the good IOS versions were released, if you had the shitty ones you could get those for free, and god, what a difference...
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2017, 07:44:51 pm »
Lol you just reminded me of the PSP Port of Megaman X. While probably not nearly as bad as the IOS port you're talking about, the PSP port lost a lot of the charm the original had, it had some annoying voice acting, and the entire mode where you could play as Vile had the same one music track... FOR EVERY LEVEL.  :banghead:

I ended up giving that version away to a friend and bought the SNES version at a pawn shop for 5 dollars. Waaaay better deal.  :thumbsup:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2017, 08:48:30 pm »
It seems like nobody remembers the NES version of Ghost 'n Goblins.
Worse graphics than the arcade version, ear-rapping BGMs and SFX, some slowdown, no wonder AVGN was so pissed when he played the game.
It surprises me that it managed to get included on the NES Classic Edition....
"I hate when mods don't let you ask for help."

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2017, 11:35:29 pm »
Regardless Nintendo probably felt it a significant game in the "NES experience" (the first games people probably think of when they think of the NES, or at least the games people think of that Nintendo could reasonably license... no Battletoads)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2017, 07:26:05 am »
Lol you just reminded me of the PSP Port of Megaman X. While probably not nearly as bad as the IOS port you're talking about, the PSP port lost a lot of the charm the original had, it had some annoying voice acting, and the entire mode where you could play as Vile had the same one music track... FOR EVERY LEVEL.  :banghead:

I ended up giving that version away to a friend and bought the SNES version at a pawn shop for 5 dollars. Waaaay better deal.  :thumbsup:

Oh boy, the PSP remake... I have a similar opinion than you. It's an okay version, nothing truly bad, but it loses a lot of the original's charm and soul with the jump to 3D visuals, either because the animations and/or the design itself doesn't work as well as sprites for these games. People that didn't play the original won't miss it, though. The anime cutscenes are fine too.

the voice acting I didn't feel it was that bad (At least not compared to X7, my god x7), but it had a few annoyances yes. On the other hand, it has it's super cheesy moments that made me smile and laugh ("NOT A CHARGE SHOT!"), which I usually find amusing (like SOTN's intro, Resident Evil 1, or heck, Mega Man 8's Doctah Wahwee. I love that shit).

And the Vile mode was pretty neat for an extra thing... Sadly, just like you say, it uses the same theme all the time, and it gets old. It's a good theme, but what a weird choice to have it in every level...

Another bad port of Mega Man X was the PC one. It was on a CD, but it had really bad quality sound (mostly depending on what type of sound card you had) and didn't even have the ride armors. And it came with a controller shaped as a Genesis 6 button controller (Which is far from ideal for an SNES game) that also came with other Capcom PC ports, and it didn't even work well for MMX, and it was discovered that the top 3 buttons of those 6 didn't even responded.