News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help with undubbing and music replacement for Persona 1 PSP  (Read 3313 times)

blaze

• View Profile
Help with undubbing and music replacement for Persona 1 PSP
« on: December 16, 2016, 03:49:11 am »
After making a few working undubs for the 3DS I thought I would go back to the ones I couldn't figure out what to do, the first of these is Persona 1 for the PSP.

I'm not quite sure what to do at this point so I'm just going to mention some of the findings I made through experimentation with the files in the ISO.

1. The pmf movie files are still in Japanese, when I extracted them through umdgen and converted them to a readable format they were the exact same as the ones in the Japanese ISO which makes me think the English audio for them has to stored somewhere else but I couldn't figure out where.

2. Direct file replacement doesn't work in the same way as with the 3DS which means something needs to be modified to accomodate the new files, I have an assumption what I need to modify but I'm not sure if it is correct or not.

Because I'm not allowed to share the files I would like some advice in which way to proceed as I'm stuck.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Help with undubbing and music replacement for Persona 1 PSP
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 01:46:11 am »
As far as file replacement, the Legend of Dragoon hacks do a neat trick in that you need to extract the relevant file from both versions for it to work.  The patcher would then work it's magic and you'd put the file back into the US disc.  I don't know what's keeping a PSP game from doing that right though.

Also keep in mind that you may or may not need to make some sacrifices in the undub; the original music patch hit a few rough spots too.

NoOneee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 03:31:10 am »
Some PSP games use some kind of LBA or file size protection. It either checks if those are untouched or simply assume they are, so if you change it it won't work anymore. You can try replacing files with umd-replace (http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/891/) padding the smaller files with zeros to match the same file size as the original and see if that works. If you want to use bigger files you'll probably have to use a debugger to figure out how the protection works and disable it.

It's also possible that there's some hidden files in the ISO (not on the standard file table).

Have you seen this thread?
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=20050.0

blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 06:02:44 am »
As far as file replacement, the Legend of Dragoon hacks do a neat trick in that you need to extract the relevant file from both versions for it to work.  The patcher would then work it's magic and you'd put the file back into the US disc.  I don't know what's keeping a PSP game from doing that right though.

Also keep in mind that you may or may not need to make some sacrifices in the undub; the original music patch hit a few rough spots too.
I already extracted the files from the Japanese ISO and US ISO, my problem seems to be inserting the Japanese files into the US ISO without it causing problems that either result in nothing which means the file doesn't register or a crash.

Some PSP games use some kind of LBA or file size protection. It either checks if those are untouched or simply assume they are, so if you change it it won't work anymore. You can try replacing files with umd-replace (http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/891/) padding the smaller files with zeros to match the same file size as the original and see if that works. If you want to use bigger files you'll probably have to use a debugger to figure out how the protection works and disable it.

It's also possible that there's some hidden files in the ISO (not on the standard file table).

Have you seen this thread?
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=20050.0
I didn't know that, maybe that's the problem, could I alter the LBA in anyway to accommodate the new files or is this not possible?

I also tried that tool but doesn't do the same as replacing the files directly with UMD Gen? Also I couldn't get the program to detect the file in the ISO since it always says "file not found in umd image", I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong.

There is a possibility there is hidden files but if it does have some then I'm unsure how to find them.

I am aware that there is a that patch that Canzah made but he said himself that it was unfinished and not done very well and I'm hoping through a lot of struggling to remedy that and have a proper undub and music hack to add to the collection of undubbed Persona games on the PSP.

Here is also the file list opened in umd gen.

blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 08:24:20 am »
So I went looking for extra information on the PSP games so I could find a way to fix my problems and I think I've found it but unfortunately I'm unable to locate the TOC in the game or if it's in there it isn't under the 0x20 which I searched in the editor as per instructions from here https://gbatemp.net/threads/completed-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky-sc-psp-undub.445307/#post-6751526.

There are packed files.

Convert your sounds vag -> wav (or whatever) using MFAudio.
ID the sounds you want to change.
Do a find in files search/grep/whatever you want to call it (is there a name for this operation?). Look for those vag filenames you ID'd within packed files and dummy them out.
Dummy them out: see the instructions here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/brandish-the-dark-revenant-translation.364870/page-5#post-4993638
Those entries will be 0x20 bytes long with the filename as the first 0x10 bytes.
Put any changed files back into the ISO and also delete those .vag files you ID'd from the se folder.
There's no need to change LBAs for any of that. I used UMDgen filelist export/import to just use the same data alignment as the original for this task in other games.
The EN voices should stop playing.
-------------------------------
At this point you need to add back the JA voices and you're done.
------------------------------
More info about what's happening:
The data in those packed files is compressed but you don't need to worry about the compression to do what you're doing.
Why is it compressed? Simple: the UMD drive is horribly slow. To speed up loading for real UMDs, these packed files. They're loaded into memory and they have a TOC on-board for the engine to know what file is where. Seeking (slow) is totally eliminated, or more accurately it only seeks once for a scene rather than once for each file needed. Data is then decompressed as needed during the scene. You're not using UMD, so this optimization is not needed anymore. The game is programmed to use the back-up files on the UMD if the needed files can't be found within the currently loaded packed files for whatever reason.

As you noted, if the necessary data IS present in the packed files, the backup copies on the UMD are totally ignored.

Could anyone give some advice on how to progress because I think I'm very close to finally undubbing this game.

blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 05:51:15 am »
Okay, I was able to switch out the correct files now however it crashes whenever I attempt to play the game, is there a way to fix this because I'm not quite sure what went wrong.