News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Friendly Games OR The House Always Wins  (Read 1208 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
Friendly Games OR The House Always Wins
« on: January 03, 2017, 03:39:44 am »
I think one of the things people take for granted about games in general is that they are by nature social activities. Often, that is not their purpose. Games can be played for honor (think Sporting Events) or money (Card Sharks at a poker table), or any other number of different purposes.

Coming to the point, a "friendly game" is one that is competitive, but not played for any wager to be settled. No betting. You play until someone wins for the fun of it. You try to beat the other player. You are unconcerned about your overall score or how many wins and losses occur between you, you simply have chosen to compete with them in order to spend time with them and learn something about their behavior. Perhaps you both simply enjoy the game in question. The point is, you aren't actually losing or winning anything except time and relief from your boredom, respectively.

Now, I would ask anyone who considers themselves a "gamer" to consider the question, what constitutes a friendly game to you? What does it look like? Feel like? Do you have any snacks? Should you have snacks? What kinds of rules are there, both general and game-specific?

Describe what it's like playing video games with your friends.

Why, you ask?

No real reason other than it's been years and years since I did that. I played Streets of Rage 2 with my relatively new girlfriend the other day. She picked Max and utterly wrecked shit at it. She liked it. We had a good time. I had forgotten how nice it was to have someone around to play with.
Yamero~~!

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly Games OR The House Always Wins
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 03:44:33 am »
co-op Metal Slug marathon

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly Games OR The House Always Wins
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 07:08:50 pm »
IMO, unless you're doing something professionally, the only measure for a game is how much fun you have while playing it.

If you have fun in being competitive, be competitive.
If you have fun cheating, cheat. **(as long as you don't do so at the expense of others... like in a competition or something.  But there's nothing wrong with cheating at a 1 player game)
If you have fun just dicking around and not accomplishing anything, do that.

Even on the rare occasions where I get to play poker for real money with friends -- I go in with the expectation that I'm going to lose all the money I put in... and I just try to have fun.

As far as "friendly game" goes -- seems like kind of a dubious descriptor... as I would describe any game I play as a friendly game.... but maybe that's just because I'm a friendly person?  Is a "friendly game" just a game where you agree not to be assholes?  Who knows.  I never use that expression.