News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: DoomRL may be shut down by ZeniMax  (Read 3122 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
DoomRL may be shut down by ZeniMax
« on: December 02, 2016, 06:04:47 pm »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-12-02-doomrl-roguelike-attracts-eye-of-zenimax-may-be-shut-down

This is sounding familiar to a discussion we had about Nintendo earlier this year, but it's worth noting that DoomRL predates ZeniMax owning Doom. o.O

A lot of questions are worth asking about this whole thing, but either way if you want it grab it quick and back it up.  DRL's pretty much been finished a long time ago.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
Re: DoomRL may be shut down by ZeniMax
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 06:46:43 pm »
Crap, looks like I better get off me ass and grab the version with the epic remixed music while I still can.

Thanks for the heads up!
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 10:38:22 pm »
DRL's pretty much been finished a long time ago.
That's kind of what I figured.  I'd heard it was a rather great game, but I also hadn't heard anyone mention it for a long time either.

It's been suggested that what set off the alarm bells is that the author happened to mention it in a Kickstarter for a new, similar-but-unrelated game.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 12:38:34 am »
It's probably worth pointing out that the notice from ZeniMax only involves the usage of their trademarks (i.e. names only, not content) on the game's website. The actual game and its content are literally never mentioned at all.

I think at worst, Kornel might end up changing the name of the game to something that doesn't explicitly reference their IP. It's certainly not on the same level as AM2R getting a DMCA takedown; some busybodies at ZeniMax's legal department probably just noticed the word "Doom" appearing on the author's current Kickstarter and decided to make themselves feel useful.

Sliver X

• der Wille zur Macht
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 06:45:28 pm »
In other news, idiots stick heads in fire, wonder why faces get burnt. I have zero sympathy for the projects like this that get shut down.

I would say people doing fan games should just make their own assets/ideas/etc, but then they wouldn't be riding on some company's existing games and probably no one would give a shit about their projects.

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 07:45:55 pm »
I would say people doing fan games should just make their own assets/ideas/etc

Well you're in luck, because the developer in question is already doing that, which is probably the only reason why lawyers suddenly started caring about a small-time fan project from several years ago.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 09:08:58 am »
I downloaded the game for my Mac, so I'm not worried.

The creator of DoomRL shouldn't have mentioned his fangame on his Kickstarter for his Jupiter Hell project.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 11:26:06 am »
Looks like this all turned into good news.  In response the site turned into DRL and the whole thing went open source a little earlier than planed.  https://github.com/ChaosForge/doomrl

This whole thing even got mentioned in the 2016 Cacowards' sidebar, neat.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 12:03:05 pm by Chronosplit »