News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Good 2D Fighting game probably lost in time  (Read 3426 times)

Ghost-Tank

• View Profile
    • Castlevania: Fjording of the Abyss
Good 2D Fighting game probably lost in time
« on: November 30, 2016, 09:40:35 pm »
While Capcom and SNK stuff and maybe Guilty Gear X's and maybe Killer Instinct I'd rank as the best....

I haven't watched wrestling since I was a teenager, but I had a lot of fun with WWF Wrestlemania the Arcade Game for SNES by Midway.  Going back and playing good versions of MK1 and 2, (SNES MK1 had even worse control) they control pretty clunky.  I thought this WWF game had a nicer more fluid fighting engine than MK3/Trilogy.  The SNES looks and sounds great but had two characters cut.  Looking at gamefaqs reviews, the PS version might be the best outside of the arcade.  Although with lesser colors and sounds, the Genesis version seems alright from the little I checked it out, having all 8 characters.  There's complaints in reviews that 32X version is either messed up with glitches or identical to the Genesis.  So the Genesis version might be glitched if I actually play it enough to see.  The Genesis version is 4MB (32Megabit cart) compared to the 3MB (24mbit) SNES.

The follow up WWF In Your House was actually developed by Acclaim,not Midway, and isn't nearly as good, except for being 4 players.  Unfortunately on top of being subpar, the Saturn version I got is screwed up even more where 4 or 5 hits knock out players.  I'm hoping these action replay/game shark codes at http://gamehacking.org/game/84430 for fake infinite health finally fix that a little by hopefully doubling life and maybe the visual lifebar goes down when finally under 100%.  I gotta see what the effect really is.  At any rate I'll probably check out the PS version to see if it's tolerable.

I barely got to play any of the newer 3D Mortal Kombats but MK Gold and maybe other MK4's sucked.  Newer ones seem interesting though with all the varied fighting styles instead of the usual cookie cutter selection of moves.  I tend to lump 3D fighters that play like 2D ones in with them.  Also never got into Killer Instinct Gold for N64.  That a good improvement over the original?

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
Re: Good 2D Fighting game probably lost in time
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 03:38:01 pm »
WeaponLord. Had the game as a kid and didn't like it from a gameplay standpoint, though I was interested in its story, art and the characters a bit. As I got older, and much better at fighters, I came to appreciate it for what it was. In a way it was the Street Fighter 3 of its era, with higher level play being the expectation.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/weaponlord/weaponlord.htm

Eternal Champions was interesting, but unlike WeaponLord I wouldn't exactly call it good. It was the epitome of mediocre, but it had an interesting cast, it looked solid, and and had a couple very interesting features.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 04:50:31 pm »
Darkstalkers.

Also I wish Shades of Manhattan II hadn't  died out before it could be polished.

Corsaire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 04:56:52 pm »
Played a lot of Asura Blade and Asura Buster with friends

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/asura/asura.htm

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 09:40:44 am »
Warzard from Capcom though its more like a boss rush beat em up.  Have played this is in the arcade ages ago and while its OK it's nothing special, can see why it fell into obscurity.
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

Ghost-Tank

• View Profile
    • Castlevania: Fjording of the Abyss
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 05:46:00 pm »
I played a lot of Saturn Vampire Savior (Darkstalkers 3).  One of my favs.  PS DS3 isn't as good an arcade conservation but it has a mode where you can custom color and name characters and level them up.  Don't know if the Dreamcast or PSP versions have that?  Never got to try Warzard but it looked interesting.  Saw it in a game magazine.  The Witch character at least made it into Pocket Fighter (a.k.a. Super Gem Fighter) but that's kinda lame compared to the original versions.  To bring up another Capcom game, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is great.  The Japanese Dreamcast version is best for an uncensored great arcade conversion while the PS version has a huge super story mode that follows the manga more closely than even the anime and has more weird enemy/boss fights and minigames.

Anyway, the Saturn WWF In Your House is pretty hopeless.  Fake infinite life is only a visual effect.  You still have normal life.  Experimented with the you have whatever% life codes to no avail.  They have different effects when used for multiple players (such as infinite life or not working).  The value 0055 or anything above is for either full or infinite life while anything lower is for less life.  Changing part of a code to 0054 resulted in 98 or 99% life.  The Playstation version has slightly lesser damage but still not as low as it should be.  On Saturn 7 power kicks (counting double damage first attack) knocks out (6 takes down to 1%) while it takes 8 on PS (7 takes down to a little chunk of life).  Slams do really massive damage on Saturn.  Looks like PS has the basically the same selection of useless known GS/AP codes http://gamehacking.org/game/90173  At least infinite life is a good for a training mode.  You're just better off playing WWF WM the Arcade Game unless you're really hurting for 4 player then PS is closest to tolerable.  Also, the 32X version of WWFWMtAG looks and sounds as bad as the Genesis version even though the 32X was capable of better.

Weaponlord looks great with a focus on skill.  I remember back when it came out and feel a bit guilty I neglected it.  Got it more recently and just gotta learn to play it well.

Just to throw an interesting game out there even if it really plays it a bit mediocre: PRIMAL RAGE!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 06:01:17 pm by Ghost-Tank »

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 10:05:59 pm »
No love for Waku Waku 7? It was so good they skipped the first 6.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 07:38:48 pm »
I had the DOS version of In Your House(btw, DOS ports of arcade games may be better than PS1, though Saturn is usually great for 2D ports) and I had no issue with it at all. I thought the common complaint was the random negative effect object(red WWF logo), which can actually be turned off to make the game more like it's predecessor.

drunkenmaverick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 01:55:22 pm »
No love for Waku Waku 7? It was so good they skipped the first 6.

I would say the same for Galaxy Fight or even Fighter's History.

.//drunkenmaverick

DeGamer

• View Profile
    • My vids & stuff
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 02:12:19 am »
Darkstalkers.

I'm really good at 2D fighting games, probably because I played them daily against other people for most of the 90s into the mid 2000s. The Vampire/Darkstalkers series is one I wish people were good at. I takes a lot more skill to play the games in the series competitively than any other 2D fighter I can think of.  The series is very under rated and under appreciated.  :'(
Yo were can I git dem roms at??!!11!
Oh shit you can hack games now???????
Translate my game pleeze!!!11!!1 It only haz a small exabyte block of text.
Can my avatar size be over 9000? Ppleeze! Me love you forevr longtime!!!111!1