News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zill O'll infinite plus english translation  (Read 38640 times)

mikeprado30

• View Profile
Re: Zill O'll infinite plus english translation
« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2018, 02:26:21 pm »
This one will be great indeed!  :) Every update grows the hype in me :woot!:

ginbunbun

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 11, 2018, 03:53:43 pm »
I don't remember if I asked this a while back or if someone else has. I was wondering if after this is complete would it be possible to port the translation to the ps2 version? I'm not even sure if port is the correct term to use. But yeah I think it would be lovely if the ps2 version of this game got translated as well. If not at least we got this. Thanks so much all involved.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
    • Blacklabel-translations
« Reply #162 on: November 11, 2018, 04:05:38 pm »
it was asked earlier somewhere on the thread and like i said then too, the translation itself can be, but the hacking involved would have to be done from scratch (A LOT has been and will still need to be fixed from the engine) and it's pretty reasonable to assume the ps2 version suffers from most if not all the same issues than the psp version does once the english texts are thrown in.

the creation of the psp translation patch does help a lot in terms of what has to be done to the ps2 version but that doesnt mean by all means that it would be a walk-in-the-park throw in some scripts and call it a day job.

this project has really taken a toll on me and once it's complete, im unsure of if i have enough juice left in me to tackle the ps2 and/or ps1 versions of the game, however, with in the release of this patch, i will make public all the assembly code, tools, documentation, and source scripts and graphic assets there are, and will put my assistance fully behind any force attempting to port it over to the other 2 versions.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 04:14:07 pm by Mugi »
In PSP we trust.

ginbunbun

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 11, 2018, 06:58:11 pm »
it was asked earlier somewhere on the thread and like i said then too, the translation itself can be, but the hacking involved would have to be done from scratch (A LOT has been and will still need to be fixed from the engine) and it's pretty reasonable to assume the ps2 version suffers from most if not all the same issues than the psp version does once the english texts are thrown in.

the creation of the psp translation patch does help a lot in terms of what has to be done to the ps2 version but that doesnt mean by all means that it would be a walk-in-the-park throw in some scripts and call it a day job.

this project has really taken a toll on me and once it's complete, im unsure of if i have enough juice left in me to tackle the ps2 and/or ps1 versions of the game, however, with in the release of this patch, i will make public all the assembly code, tools, documentation, and source scripts and graphic assets there are, and will put my assistance fully behind any force attempting to port it over to the other 2 versions.
Well if any talented folks wanna take on the task of porting your work to the ps2 release more power to them. You've done a hell of alot already and I don't think anyone or my self could ask you do it all again for essentially for the same game. I'm looking forward to throwing this into PPSSPP.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 12, 2018, 06:25:44 am »
im still kinda undecided on what exactly to do with the ps1 and ps2 versions after we're done with psp.

I would really REALLY REALLY love to see them both done, especially the ps1 version but yeah, I don't know really, like you said, it's a lot of work for essentially the same game :P (also we suck with ps1 hacking)

edit:

well anyways, i just finished the ending video now, and i gotta say that it came out far better than i expected. I guess that's what you get for actually redoing with clean assets than attempt to smudge something over an existing video  :P

here we go with some comparisons:

« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:56:16 am by Mugi »
In PSP we trust.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 20, 2018, 01:09:03 pm »
ps2 weapon textures fully implemented!

In PSP we trust.

ginbunbun

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 20, 2018, 06:34:13 pm »
Damn sir looking good o.o I think the psp version with the ps2 textures would make for the best version of the game.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2018, 02:01:24 am »
Damn sir looking good o.o I think the psp version with the ps2 textures would make for the best version of the game.

assuming i get it fully working, yes.
The texture resolution in my mod is something between the psp and the ps2 textures (psp = 128x128, ps2 = 512x512, im using 256x256) weapon textures are full ps2 textures (128x64) and monster textures will also be in-between, i will use 256x256 for those. However currently using the full set of NPC textures is causing some stack corruptions every here and there so that mod has been nullified until we have time to look into it, it was put on backburner to accelerate the completion of the patch itself, as the texture mod is bonus content.

The crashing caused by them, can simply be skipped with ppsspp by ignoring illegal reads/writes and it doesn't really cause anything aside minor color corruptions, so im confident that it can be solved, but again, it will be looked up later on.

If the mod wont be 100% hardware compatible, I will scrap it entirely, as I dont do things that only work on emulators. that is not negotiable.
In PSP we trust.

ginbunbun

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2018, 10:15:03 am »
assuming i get it fully working, yes.
The texture resolution in my mod is something between the psp and the ps2 textures (psp = 128x128, ps2 = 512x512, im using 256x256) weapon textures are full ps2 textures (128x64) and monster textures will also be in-between, i will use 256x256 for those. However currently using the full set of NPC textures is causing some stack corruptions every here and there so that mod has been nullified until we have time to look into it, it was put on backburner to accelerate the completion of the patch itself, as the texture mod is bonus content.

The crashing caused by them, can simply be skipped with ppsspp by ignoring illegal reads/writes and it doesn't really cause anything aside minor color corruptions, so im confident that it can be solved, but again, it will be looked up later on.

If the mod wont be 100% hardware compatible, I will scrap it entirely, as I dont do things that only work on emulators. that is not negotiable.
Oh totally I agree 100%. Being able to play any translation on real hardware is a blessing. One of the reasons I love my SNES Flash cart so much.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 23, 2018, 07:57:06 pm »
Oh totally I agree 100%. Being able to play any translation on real hardware is a blessing. One of the reasons I love my SNES Flash cart so much.

totally. Playing on hardware has always been the thing for me and I couldn't imagine doing anything to break that really...

back to topic, I started working  on the batch of monster textures now and i gotta say im liking what i see... Also threw into the game all the currently done monster textures and went to a place i know that has said monster appear to stress test the engine a little.
this was running on more or less the heaviest possible configuration there is (5 party members, 4+1 quest and 3 monsters, max is 4) aside the fact that something on the npc textures causes stack corruptions, in general, even under maximum stress, the fps drop introduced by the texture mod is negligible at best, on a turn based rpg, im willing to sacrifice 2-3fps for 2x texture resolution. Naturally, if this would bother you, there's always the option to just not install the hi-res texture mod :)

« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 08:03:59 pm by Mugi »
In PSP we trust.

ginbunbun

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 23, 2018, 08:23:34 pm »
I'd say a 2 to 3 fps drop in a turn based rpg is a non issue. Considering the nature of the game. Having double the texture resolution is fantastic in my book. At any rate It's lookin mighty fine. ;)

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 26, 2018, 11:01:43 pm »
Well i've been playing the game now using the full Hi-res mod and it does cause slowdowns on hardware that can be considered pretty major.
it's periodic though, basically the maximum configuration the psp can handle is 4 party members and 3 monsters, anything more and you will start getting severe FPS drops. There are lots of areas in the game where you will never run into this / exceed it, and can enjoy the game at (nearly) full speed... but then again, there are some areas where basically all the fights have 4 monsters in them, so it does get uncomfortable to play.

I'm close enough on finishing all the testures now that i will complete the mod regardless, but it will propably be a wise idea to not install hi-res monster textures if playing on hardware. As far as I've seen, using hi-res (n)PC's and weapons is still passable everywhere.

i will test performace on Vita on a later date.

meanwhile, have El'azar (i got my ass handed to me pretty heavy here lol)

(before anyone asks, the wing transparency has already been fixed :P)
In PSP we trust.

Orochi Kusanagi

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 26, 2018, 11:51:22 pm »
This looks super fun! I've never played the series before, but it has a really nice style. You're graphics mod is also quite impressive. I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 07, 2018, 11:20:21 am »
My server is temporarily inaccessible by me, so no pictures today, but the biography menu has finally been fixed now (again!)
which hopefully for real, allows us to move on with things.

I received yet another script update from Tom, and he's been sounding really happy about doing more and more lately,
so despite the fact that the total amount of untranslated text is still absolutely staggering, we've also reached a point in it now where we're
seeing actual results, and the workload is visibly shrinking.

dont worry though, no chance for a 2018 release lol, we still have our work cut out for us.
In PSP we trust.