I believe I've now achieved enough progress to warrant showing something, so time for a long ass post.
Those of you who happen to have heard of me know that I generally like to mind my own business and my own site
is more of a personal archive than something people use to get project updates, but this game totally deserves the attention.
so here goes. Couple weeks back I returned to my unfinished junk folder and zill o'll was just sitting there, with the alpha menu translation patch I made for it few years back.
A machine translation of awful quality, incomplete in every possible way, and broken in more ways than I dare to count. Off to the bin it goes and rework is in place.
- entire elf as far as text goes.
- majority of graphics (some have been redone, some imported from ps2 version)
- menu changes to unify the style (a crappy 16x16 texture stretched to hell and back was used for some menus, while others had a nice blue background. they all have a nice blue background now.)
- all playable character names translated, some NPC's such as inn, shopkeeps etc.
- all skill names translated, descriptions exist but not implemented yet.
- all menus, all submenus and battle menu translated.
- basic equipment names translated.
- font completely remade (I implemented 9px tahoma into the game. Not only it is very compact to allow longer strings, it looks pretty good.)
- character portraits have been remastered to an extend (still in progress, screenshots below)
complete filesystem access - CHECK
script dump/reinsert - CHECK
graphics dump to png<->reinsert - CHECK
- majority of existing menu alignment issues caused by new strings are already sorted out.
- system modules have been patched to english text while maintaining the japanese button mapping (O=OK) to keep it consistent with gameplay.
- couple new stringbuffers for certain strings (screenshots below)
- main script translation.
- find a translator!
title screen redone // character creator name input, patched for ASCII // shop labels in towns
general diaoluge box // Weapon shop // blacksmith gear upgrade window
Blacksmith gear rename, patched for ASCII // selling stuff // equipping stuff
gaining a new soul // 256 color full soul render imported from ps2 to replace the 16color ones // soul selection screen
Character status screen (smaller versions of souls seen here, also redone) // skill learning // magic screen
redone combat mode "strike first" // get stuff // get more stuff
combat graphics were redone despite
some of them already being in english
to maintain unified look across all graphics.
FAST BREAK!! // save/load patched to english // main menu.
jobs recruitment at guild office // info window at guild office // job details
the guild menus are one of the last things that still need work, in addition to some string replacement (information) some stings consisting of multiple variables like job descriptions
need to be worked out, and they also need some additional ASM work, since the currently existing stringbuffer is too small for the english strings.
here's what happens when you go past the buffer limit
depending on what missions you take, random text blinks on the screen, until you exit the menu and consequently make the game crash.
a fix for this is rather easy, but takes a bit of work to locate the relevant code, what we are gonna do is simply allocate a static location in the elf to be assigned as a new stringbuffer.
Identical hack was earlier performed on my utawarerumono portable translation project.
the elf currently has roughly 2KB of available free space, which according to keikaku
should be more than enough for everything I have to implement, and if not, a tool was written which allows psp executables to be disassembled to the ir core components and any section expanded at will was made, so no worries on that sector.
As for what comes to the character avatars and their reworking, generally, what I did was simply gave them a bit of contrast and saturation, along with slight color fixes to give them back the colors
that were washed out by a (very bad quality)conversion to 128-colors.
Exception to this is the hero/heroine portraits that got a bit larger rewqork to give them nice hair colors, and restore eyecolors that were lost.
then there's the lost cases, which I reimported back from ps2 version, but there is not much else i can do for them...
in both versions they are completely awful as far as quality goes, but atleast the ps2 versiosn had colors, whereas the psp versions were completely missing a palette.
psp original on the left
remastered on the right
tl;dr: hope you nejoyed the ride. I'm not a very talkative person, but I'll attempt to keep you guys up to date!