News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Tengai Makyou Zero translation project  (Read 402754 times)

WerewolfX

• View Profile
Re: Tengai Makyou Zero translation project
« Reply #720 on: October 16, 2017, 03:10:32 pm »
Not a hacker or translator, but I'm glad to see this series getting some translations. Always though this series(along with Fire Emblem) were cursed, due to no one getting translations done.

Keep up the good work ladies and gentlemen, I am eager to enjoy this series.

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #721 on: October 16, 2017, 08:43:51 pm »
I was checking the game with SNESGT version 0.230beta7 and it runs properly!  8)  I hope it also will run the ROM patched :woot!:

IS COMING NEARER!

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: October 16, 2017, 09:36:53 pm »
So the Snes9x devs know about this? I'm eager to play it but I'd have to wait for Snes9x, and who knows how long that might take...

So many of the testers said this, until they tried the version of bsnes that I use:

bsnes_v087-32bit

This has solved the issue for all of the testers who brought it up so far. I can't run Higan at full speed, but I can run this version of bsnes. no problem.

Hopefully it will work for you. Try it out and let me know if it does!

Melchior

• Sage of Life
    • View Profile
    • Baron Engineer Nation
« Reply #723 on: October 16, 2017, 10:00:18 pm »
I can't run Higan at full speed, but I can run this version of bsnes. no problem.
MWhahha can't run Higan at full steam huh.. sry...
System specs??

Here is my system specs.. ;)  ;D
CPUz Report: https://valid.x86.fr/97evki

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: October 17, 2017, 10:12:26 am »
Think about it...

DougRPG now has the only working English Tengai Makyou Zero cart in existence.

He could even print out a full box and manual for it and complete the package.

Can you imagine how valuable that would be?

Melchior

• Sage of Life
    • View Profile
    • Baron Engineer Nation
« Reply #725 on: October 17, 2017, 10:15:52 am »
Think about it...

yeah I will spend $10k on on it from him.. ;) lol

SageOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #726 on: October 17, 2017, 10:15:59 am »
Think about it...

Hold it's value until every other repro maker starts popping em out.

Strike while the iron's hot Doug.

bytemedeep

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: October 17, 2017, 10:33:59 am »
Think about it...

I'd get that in a heartbeat.  I love you guys.

Aeana

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: October 17, 2017, 12:05:29 pm »
Wouldn't repro makers have to cannibalize other SPC7110 cartridges? That would be terrible.

dejan07

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: October 17, 2017, 01:05:32 pm »
Doug, put it on auction site to see how high will it go!

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: October 17, 2017, 01:14:21 pm »
In some sense, it might be terrible. After all, each English cart created would make the original Japanese version of the game that much harder to obtain. Then again, from a collector's standpoint, it would also increase the rarity of unaltered cartridges, so people who already own the game would have a more valuable item in their collection. I figure those people would probably welcome a good deal of scarcity.

I have seen many unboxed, loose TM Zero carts sitting around in discount shelves, abandoned and totally unplayed. If people could give those old carts new life to a new audience, with a full English package to boot... Well, I don't see it as all that bad, to be honest. The fact is, the true experience of the Japanese cart went out of date in 2014, when people stopped being able to enter the proper time. With the English version, people can enjoy it just as they could way back in the day.

Is it cannibalism? You could call it that... Or you could call it a phoenix rising from the ashes.

And really, if the game can be modified from Japanese to English, there should be nothing stopping people from modifying it back to Japanese, if they were that desperate... So I don't really see all that much harm in it. To be perfectly honest, I want to go bargain bin digging for a loose TM Zero cart soon, so I can have a English box set right next to my Japanese one.

October 17, 2017, 01:18:30 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Doug, put it on auction site to see how high will it go!

Don't do that, Doug! :angel:

Do the right thing and send me your readme contribution!

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #731 on: October 17, 2017, 01:59:39 pm »
Reminder: making your own repros for personal use is your prerogative. Making and SELLING them is against the law, and unwillingly involves anyone who worked on the translation patch in your illegal bootlegging. Don't sell repros kids.

Helciu

• View Profile
« Reply #732 on: October 17, 2017, 02:49:16 pm »
I have the original Japanese cartridge and I'm very happy to know that there's a possibility of playing this masterpiece in my Super Nintendo in English. I play on emulators once and then, but to me there's no comparison in playing in the real thing!

I would like to thank from the bottom of my heart Tom, Doug and everybody else involved in this project. To see this gem translated is definitely a dream com true!!!

StageProps

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: October 17, 2017, 04:24:29 pm »
I'm confused and/or grossly misinformed--is DougRPG playing the translation on an official retail cartridge? If so, how? I thought you couldn't apply a patch to a retail cart.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: October 17, 2017, 05:55:29 pm »
So many of the testers said this, until they tried the version of bsnes that I use:

bsnes_v087-32bit

This has solved the issue for all of the testers who brought it up so far. I can't run Higan at full speed, but I can run this version of bsnes. no problem.

Hopefully it will work for you. Try it out and let me know if it does!

I was one of the beta testers, and I will just pop in again to let everyone know that running this version of bsnes is very doable, even on a low- to medium-end computer (my 2.3ghz laptop ran things with pretty minimal slowdowns throughout all my playthroughs). Even if Doug's altered Snes9x doesn't work for folks, as long as you aren't running an ancient rig older bsnes will work just fine.

Also, echoing the scolding on repro cart selling--definitely a moral and legal sandtrap.

DougRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #735 on: October 17, 2017, 07:05:06 pm »

I've been playing for the last 2 hours in the real hardware. Everything is perfect.

The credit for this real hardware playthrough goes to byuu, because he is the one who found out how register $4834 works. Without that we were lost. By "we" I mean "me", because my part depends on this $4834 register. I was very afraid some days ago, but said nothing to Tom and Dds  ;D. But everything is fine now. The project is irreversibly a success now.
I'll make a video showing the game running in the Snes.

About the Snes9x I have, I need to recompile it because the rom changed a little since I first tested. But I'll put it somewhere to download. This is version 1.54.1 modified to support the translation. The only difference to the official release is that it doesn't have the video record feature, because that needed a specifc library that I wasn't able to find.

dejan07

• View Profile
« Reply #736 on: October 17, 2017, 07:14:39 pm »
Don't do that, Doug! :angel:

Do the right thing and send me your readme contribution!

Do it Doug, do it! >:D

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
« Reply #737 on: October 17, 2017, 08:21:37 pm »
Reminder: making your own repros for personal use is your prerogative. Making and SELLING them is against the law, and unwillingly involves anyone who worked on the translation patch in your illegal bootlegging. Don't sell repros kids.

Seconding this! I'd also like to put it out in the open that, while I did make a printable copy of the manual and assets for the game, please be cool about it and only print them for your personal use/collection.

Merr Clone

• View Profile
« Reply #738 on: October 17, 2017, 08:45:21 pm »

I've seen Youtubers that I've subscribed to, shamelessly, advertise repros of ROM hacks and fan translations on their channels, and there even being a memorial for a site that hawks that kind of stuff. Besides the illegalities, I've never heard of any of these sites consulting the ones who actually worked on modifying the original games, or paying money to them, so I've never endorsed that kind of behavior. I don't have as much of a problem if the original team behind the modification were to give their "OK" or to sell it themselves, but I may just be the minority opinion.

Coming back, from, what?, the beginning of the thread, I am happy to hear about the progress being made on this game. I'm also astounded as to how big Manji Maru is, sounds like a playthrough of the whole series, will take a loooooooong time. So much hard work on this one, though, and perseverance, I'll be beyond the moon when Zero releases, because of all of that.

Thank you!

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: October 17, 2017, 09:00:10 pm »
I wasn't advocating for selling repros, just entertaining a what-if scenario. I personally don't care if people make repros, though. I know I'm in the minority for thinking that. To be honest, I think dumping roms is even worse for the gaming industry, because it decreases scarcity. But it's part and parcel with being able to translate and hack these games. The good outweighs the bad.

And at the very least, repros contribute to scarcity and make games more valuable. They give new life to old games, and make them accessible to more people. They get a lot of hate around here, but I'm totally okay with them.

People can smash carts with a hammer if they want to. Once that cart is yours, it's up to you what you do with it. If someone wants to modify their cart to play it in English, I'd welcome them to do so.

If somebody tries to profit off of people not wanting to do it themselves, well, that's on their conscience. Everybody will have the opportunity to do it for themselves, at least!