News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger MSU-1 (with FMV's)  (Read 63363 times)

Vector

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger MSU-1 (with FMV's)
« Reply #240 on: October 15, 2018, 12:44:01 am »
@qwertymodo thank you so much for putting this together. My wife and I are so excited to play through this game again on the SNES. So far, everything is just wonderful and your instructions were super easy to follow. Looking forward to seeing anything else you might provide. Thank you...thank you.

Vector

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 25, 2018, 01:52:50 am »
I've made it to Proto Dome. I'd like to participate in the full beta if possible. I just love what you've got so far. I haven't really had any problems. I've only had one area where the sound didn't play while I was fighting these enemies, but nothing other than that. This is in the church area 600AD(took pic of my screen) where you have to rescue Meryl or Queen Leene as the people think. I'm playing it on an SD2SNES cart (Blake Robinson Soundtrack) through an Analogue Super NT.

IanDemar

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 06, 2018, 12:05:48 pm »
Okay, not sure if I am doing something wrong, or if the FMV intro isn't included? I thought it was included and it was just the rest of the FMVs that are limited to Beta users?

I've patched MSU1 audio into a bunch of games today, and they have all worked fine. I even got the added FMV for LttP to work. But here, it seems that I am patching audio, but no FMVs are added. I did replace the 0Kb chrono_msu.msu with the one that is 95+MB and added the chrono_msu-100.pcm (I think that is supposed to be the video?). My post-patch ROM file is named chrono_msu.sfc.  I did check its MD5 before patching and it is the correct version.

And yet still, no intro video. Also, I used the free alternative audio files, if that matters at all.

I'd like the rest of the FMVs, but unfortunately, I tend to play games for a little while and then start on something else, so I'm not sure I'll be any good as a beta tester. If I play to the point of the dome, I'll ask for access.

To summarize: Intro FMV isn't playing, Audio is. I'm using Snes9x newest version (downloaded 3 days ago) on Windows 10.

Vector

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 08, 2018, 11:27:37 pm »
Okay, not sure if I am doing something wrong, or if the FMV intro isn't included? I thought it was included and it was just the rest of the FMVs that are limited to Beta users?

I've patched MSU1 audio into a bunch of games today, and they have all worked fine. I even got the added FMV for LttP to work. But here, it seems that I am patching audio, but no FMVs are added. I did replace the 0Kb chrono_msu.msu with the one that is 95+MB and added the chrono_msu-100.pcm (I think that is supposed to be the video?). My post-patch ROM file is named chrono_msu.sfc.  I did check its MD5 before patching and it is the correct version.

And yet still, no intro video. Also, I used the free alternative audio files, if that matters at all.

I'd like the rest of the FMVs, but unfortunately, I tend to play games for a little while and then start on something else, so I'm not sure I'll be any good as a beta tester. If I play to the point of the dome, I'll ask for access.

To summarize: Intro FMV isn't playing, Audio is. I'm using Snes9x newest version (downloaded 3 days ago) on Windows 10.

I downloaded the intro video from the original post separately and included it in my files when I did mine and included it on my SD card with the rest of the audio tracks. I believe the file was called chrono_msu-100.pcm. So you know, once you have that file on the card, the video does not play when you start a new game. It will simply play if you just don't do anything after you start the game up after a little bit.

qwertymodo

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 12, 2018, 01:01:03 am »
Sorry I haven't had much time to keep up on this and respond to people wanting to get into the beta.  However, the reason for this is that I've been making some pretty significant headway on the FMV dithering.  Still have a lot more work to do on it, but I basically have the functionality in place from end-to-end.  Here's the result of basically just running an entire video through the default settings on a single dithering algorithm (the final code should support 4 different algorithms with a handful of parameters that can all be tuned on a scene-by-scene basis, giving a lot of room for further quality improvement).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVhLfTTya5o
(On the left is the current version available for download, on the right is the new version)

Notable points of comparison:
  • The fade out at 0:27
  • The aspect ratio correction at 0:36
  • The stone wall at 1:49
  • The solid white background at 2:30

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 17, 2018, 01:02:23 pm »
Glad to see you're still working on this.

qwertymodo

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 19, 2018, 12:56:22 pm »
Yep, still working on it.  It's been slow going, mostly due to the massive amount of time that in-depth playtesting requires.  To that end, I've finally decided to make a change to the closed beta that I've been thinking about for awhile.  In addition to the playtesting requirement, the closed beta going forward will be limited to followers of my Twitch channel.  Having said that, I want to make a few things very clear.  First of all, following me on Twitch is completely free.  Following is not the same as subscribing, which is what costs money.  I am not now, nor will I ever be accepting money for this project, as not only would that be a complete dick move on my part, it would also paint a giant neon legal bullseye on my back that I have no interest in placing there.  Twitch has become a nice way for me to branch out a bit and turn what would normally be a very isolating, solitary passtime like single-player retro gaming, into a social experience where I can interact with people who have similar interests.  Sure, message boards like this provide some of that, but they lack the real-time interaction, and it's kind of separated from the actual enjoyment of the games.  Chatting with people while I play has made it a lot more fun, and a lot less work.  So, if you want to join the beta, head on over to https://twitch.tv/qwertymodo, catch a stream, hang out in chat for a bit if you want, and follow the channel.

If you don't have a Twitch account and don't want to make one, that's fine.  Part of deciding to make this change is the fact that I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel for this project, so hopefully I'll actually finish it up soon, and the final release will be released publicly, without any of these restrictions (though I may give my beta testers early access to the release before it goes public).  The patch file, including any updates or bugfixes, will continue to be freely available here, and I'll continue to post project updates as well.  This isn't some kind of sellout stunt, I'm just looking for ways to make the normally anti-social parts of this hobby less so.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 01:21:55 pm by qwertymodo »

GyaragaX

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 19, 2018, 01:17:01 pm »
I dig it. You've seen me around in chat. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. :)