News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The sluggard hacker  (Read 2438 times)

joe73ffdq

• View Profile
The sluggard hacker
« on: November 11, 2016, 11:33:26 pm »
I have been trying to figure out a way to explain this, but now I think I can.

Within all my ideas, I will admit to always getting stuck. I want to crack the code, to expand beyond what is currently available. I probably could have made a decent mod for FF1 or DW2 by now, but here is my barrier. I scroll through the hex editor for hours, trying to find all the JSR's, and hoping to create new effects, or expand upon the data.

Then there is my jotting down every note, and losing track. On top of that, I get fixated on setting up a document to look good, and trying to figure out how to set it up. I will admit that documentation is a bigger strength, then desire to produce an actual mod.

There is also life circumstances, and alcohol addiction, which makes following through even more difficult.

FF1 did produce some results for everyone, with GFF hacking documents, and FF1 Disassembly Companion. I have incomplete work on DW2, which I should upload as .3 anyway. Some things were figured out in DW2, that everyone should have access to. Thank you Gameboy9 for your help and interest back in 2/16.

I fizzled out on FF1 and DW2. I also fizzled out with playing DQ7.

DW1 is the game I know and understand the most, and other then Townedit not working properly, I am almost there with data finding. There is a comfort here, with knowing every nook and cranny,  by playing it many times. Between the RAM map data, and having a complete feel for the game, there is progress here that isnt bogging me down as much.

Question here for DW1 fans. Even if all maps were almost the same, who would be interested in a DW1 2nd quest. Key items are likely to be in the same location, but with...

Better treasure options (especially gold)
Weapons and Armor higher, with stat increases lower
Much higher prices, but treasure and enemies will compensate for that
All new zoning for enemies
Higher HP because enemy damage will test your mettle
Certain enemies will get high priority, especially Metal Slime, Metal Scorpion, Goldman, Golem, Demon Knight, and Ghost
Some treasure movement, and map editing, as this is easy to do manually (except the world map)

---

Feeling motivated again, and I would rather hack an old one, then play any of the new ones. FF1 is too complex, DW2 is too limited for what I want, and DW1 is right at home.

Here is what I have so far for DW1
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/228695840/DW1%20data.zip

And for DW2... Sift through this at your own will
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/228695840/DW%202.zip

---

All of these notes need to be finalized, and documentation needs to be finished first.

Hopefully I can stop feeling sluggard, and at least finish the text files.

---

I am feeling good about working on DW1 right now, but one question here.

Save states work with new files, but once you modify something, you have to start a new file. Is there a way to modify the data in a hex editor, and continue from that point with a save state?

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: The sluggard hacker
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 01:29:51 am »
but here is my barrier. I scroll through the hex editor for hours, trying to find all the JSR's

If you're looking in a hex editor, you're doing it wrong.  Produce a simple disassembly (it doesn't have to reassemble, just be able to have human-readable mnemonics).  You should never have to memorize opcodes and very rarely should have to look at a wall of hex.

Though, really, you should be using a debugger in conjunction with a disassembly.  If you know where the routine for it is, finding the JSRs to it is as simple as setting an execute breakpoint at the start of the routine and running through the game to see who all jumps to it.  Or at that point, a simple Ctrl+F for "JSR $xxxx" in the disassembly.

There is also life circumstances, and alcohol addiction, which makes following through even more difficult.

=(

Addiction is rough man.  Don't fall in that trip.  Stay strong.

I can't say I'm invested enough in the DW series to get involved in your work, but keep it up.  =)

And don't worry about what other people would want.  Do this for yourself.  It's more about creating something you can be proud of, or learning something new, or simply enjoying the experience.  Don't worry so much about gathering an audience.

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 09:40:04 am »
Alcoholism is bad, check your livers with water+salt+sugar. Do it in your time. :)
There is no way to do a proper stuff using saved states, unless you adapt the emulator to your project, or else, too much hassle. Better start using SRAM files and such, put some "save anywhere" function in the menu. ;)
Loved the data, cheers! :D

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 01:54:13 pm »
Quick request/suggestion.

By all means abbreviate but maybe once per post, or thread if it is still going to be clear, have the full names of the games in question. There are plenty of people that might be able to help with a technical question but might not know the common abbreviations.

Madsiur

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 07:17:41 pm »
Addictions are pretty rough, I was addicted to cocaine 12 years ago and I ended up losing a lot. Stay safe.

Anyway, I'm no Dragon Warrior expert but for the fun I made a search:

1) There's SRAM document here: http://www.romhacking.net/documents/338/

From my understanding, doing a search in hex for something like STA $6B could point you where an item is stored in one of the two first inventory slots. I know zero NES ASM so you bettter check a NES Assembly document for relevant opcodes hex values but in SNES this could take the form of STA $7E006B, STA $6B, STA $006B or even STA $6B,X. Once you locate interesting instructions by setting a breakpoint to make sure you are on a hotspot, you can disassemble around those instruction with a debugger or disassembler.

2) Some codes, SRAM adresses and a bit of disassembly: http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Wiki/index.php?title=Dragon_Warrior

3) Formulas document with a lot of disassembly on second half: http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/563408-dragon-warrior/faqs/61640

4) DataCrystal entry: http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Dragon_Warrior

joe73ffdq

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 05:04:12 am »
Thank you guys for all the info and help. I didnt have the SRAM stuff, so that will help  :beer:

There are a few technical things that are still elusive to me. I imagine that the debugger, and setting a breakpoint, are options in fceux, but I get perplexed with all the options, other then the hex editor part in fceux. Right now, I have just about all the data I want, but there is one important thing. When I start actual work, I dont want to have to start a new file every time. I want to be able to load an existing file, modify data, and carry on gradually. Save states will still read the previous treasure item, shop item, ect. I havent tried all methods, so maybe I am missing something.

As far as addiction goes, I had almost complete sobriety from 2009-2013. I deal with a !@#$%^&, and havent seen my daughter in 3 months. Its just alcohol and weed, and Im glad I despise hard drugs, especially opiates, which have fucked up many of my friends/family. There is an openness here at rhdn, where people can pretty much express what they want, so it was easy to be up front and open to where Im at :) Life circumstances are hard at times, but I know many others have it far worse. My job is good (finally), and where I live is a quiet building, so two very important things are all set.

With the hacking work, I just need to learn the best methods. I do spend lots of time looking at a wall of hex.