News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Goof Troop (Snes) hacking possibilities  (Read 5671 times)

salvadorc17

• View Profile
Goof Troop (Snes) hacking possibilities
« on: October 27, 2016, 03:23:38 pm »
Hi, want to share some little work i have made hacking this classic of Snes. I have been able to find enemy positions and some items on the maps, also general tileset arrays. My next todo is find the blocks positions, and the other level data.

If you have any extra info, or want to help me completing this, can post your comments here.

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
Re: Goof Troop (Snes) hacking possibilities
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 09:16:43 pm »
I looked though the rom years back.  I don't really remember stuff in terms of offsets, but I do know that how the levels work is that layer 1 and 2 are treated as separate blocks of data, each with their own pointer.  I think I also found the exits data too, but again, I don't remember any offsets.  Maybe I will take a look and see if anything jogs my memory.

Edit:  I found some notes I made.  Apparently level data starts at 0x48000 in an unheadered rom(so if yours has a header, add 0x200).  It looks like the format is one byte for each block.  As for warp data, I have 0x!f400, but I forget if it's the start of the data or one of the rooms near the beginning of the game.  I also forget the format but I imagine it must have a location on screen and the warp index the warp points to.  Usually the format in room based games have a value for what room the warp appears in, it's position on screen(in this case might have a length and width value), and the warp index it points to.

That is all i have, and all that I've looked into.  There is potential, and it's a shame that nobody has looked into this game much.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 09:29:55 pm by Jigglysaint »

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 04:47:51 pm »
I can take look in the rom for graphics locations offsets tonight/tomorrow if you haven't taken a crack at that yet.  :)

Unless that's what you meant by general tileset arrays.  :huh:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

salvadorc17

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 05:02:21 pm »
I can take look in the rom for graphics locations offsets tonight/tomorrow if you haven't taken a crack at that yet.  :)

Unless that's what you meant by general tileset arrays.  :huh:

No, i was talking about what Jigglysaint talked, where is the tile values for the maps, i also know about that, will be cool if you can find some graphics locations, for possible replacements, right now im trying to find all important level data..

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 05:29:49 pm »
Ahhh, in that case I'll get to work on it later tonight!  :thumbsup:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

salvadorc17

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 03:38:25 pm »
Ahhh, in that case I'll get to work on it later tonight!  :thumbsup:

Do you know only about graphics, or you have made something else??

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 05:30:25 pm »
Do you know only about graphics, or you have made something else??

Sadly my skillset isn't very diverse - I'm mostly a graphics guy.

Speaking of which, only graphics I could find on a quick look through were some Pete sprites at the end of the rom (At least I think they were Pete's). I'm gonna try another look through to see if I missed anything, then I'll see if Lunar Compress can help me locate some more or 'em.  :)

salvadorc17

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 03:49:30 pm »
Sadly my skillset isn't very diverse - I'm mostly a graphics guy.

Speaking of which, only graphics I could find on a quick look through were some Pete sprites at the end of the rom (At least I think they were Pete's). I'm gonna try another look through to see if I missed anything, then I'll see if Lunar Compress can help me locate some more or 'em.  :)

You have not made any progress? I have setted up a basic editor for tilesets..

denim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 09:21:31 pm »
Long time ago I translated this game for brazilian portuguese and I added a proportional font also... I remember to have gathered some of map data also and some offsets for game data, like energy and lifes... I expanded the maximum life counter for 99, because the game limits at 9 lives.. And I added the option of increase the life limit in game options screen (in the option screen below, 'Limite de vidas sim/não'). Maybe I still have some notes if you want...

salvadorc17

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 03:38:19 pm »
Long time ago I translated this game for brazilian portuguese and I added a proportional font also... I remember to have gathered some of map data also and some offsets for game data, like energy and lifes... I expanded the maximum life counter for 99, because the game limits at 9 lives.. And I added the option of increase the life limit in game options screen (in the option screen below, 'Limite de vidas sim/não'). Maybe I still have some notes if you want...

That would be cool, any new technical info for the game will be apretiated..

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 09:07:08 pm »
Oh ! I had forgotten all about this game, brings back memories. I remember it to be awesome in coop ! Altho it was kind of easy aside from some puzzles... I think a hard-mode with more and/or better enemies would make this game more enjoyable. New level/maps sure would be even better tho !
As for the graphics, the new version of bsnes plus can show the graphics in VRAM in real-time, I guess you could locate the some tile in there and then put a breakpoint on that VRAM address to find the code that puts it there and work your way back to where it gets the tile gfx from. Never actually tried this and as the graphics are probably compressed it probably wont be so straightforward but well.. I thought I should throw the idea in case it helps somehow

salvadorc17

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 04:02:37 pm »
I have made some progress for Goof Troop editor, im able to load enemies from rom. But for other stuff like tiles is really hard to achieve, will need to load all tileset graphics and parse by each difference.

Jate

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 06:57:06 am »
This looks great! :thumbsup:

Would it be useful to modify some graphics? It's just that I would like translate the game to Spanish.

Thanks

salvadorc17

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 03:45:10 pm »
This looks great! :thumbsup:

Would it be useful to modify some graphics? It's just that I would like translate the game to Spanish.

Thanks

Thats really hard todo, you should request for it on traslations section