News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: I want to play a game.  (Read 8215 times)

RandomHeretic

• View Profile
I want to play a game.
« on: October 26, 2016, 04:07:33 am »
Comment removed.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:39:03 am by RandomHeretic »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: I want to play a game.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 04:18:48 am »
Recommended 6th gen on: Odin Sphere, PS2. Fantasy themed beat 'em up with an alchemy system. Recently remade (not just ported or remastered) for PS3, PS4, Vita.

Recommended hack: Conker's High Rule Tail, SNES A Link to the Past hack. Coming VERY soon. Very.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

KaioShin

• RHDN Supporter
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 04:37:11 am »
I made a thread about a new game a few hours ago  :'(
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 05:37:20 am »
The Dark Cloud games, cheesy as hell but technically excellent with a great branching weapon upgrade system, 2 is the better game and Is barely linked to 1 aside from a few cameos.

All the Console F-Zero Games

Nightmare of Druaga: Fushigi No Dungeon, Brutal dungeon crawling, somewhat tedious though.

Maximo Ghosts To Glory, great hack n' slash Ghosts and Goblins Spin off, DO NOT be fooled by the goofy box art this is worth it if you like action platformers / hack n slash.

Gunman Clive 1&2, Decent Run n' gun for 3ds, they save the best gameplay for the final levels though.

RandomHeretic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 05:51:29 am »
Comment removed.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:39:52 am by RandomHeretic »

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 06:51:00 am »
I thought we were going to make it a challenge and talk about 7th or 8th generation games only.  8)
My recommended 6th+ generation games:
- Fire Emblem, Path of Radiance & Radiant Dawn
- Assassins' Creed II (PS3)
- Demon's souls
- Rock Band 2-3 with friends and a lot of plastic toys, or Rocksmith with the real thing (but solo)

Recommended translations:
- Super Robot Taisen J and Alpha Gaiden (yep, it's on an old platform, but yep, it still is good)
- Front Mission 2 and 5
- Daitekoku: oops
- Culdcept DS
- Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiya Densetsu

... nice question to make me check what translation patches are available again.  ;D

popehentai

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 08:45:38 am »
Reccomended games:

Mcpixel
Overlord 1 and 2
Shovel knight
UnEpic

Good hacks?

Legend of Iowa.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 08:49:31 am »
I was thinking about Zack & Wiki (Wii) again recently.  A delightful game, in many ways – the last gasp of Capcom's dying creative spirit, you might say.  It's too bad that it's a little too tied into the Wii mechanics to end up ported elsewhere.

I only wish the presentation was cleaned up a little.  It's so tempting to forgo all hints and extra lives in the name of achieving some kind of perfect achievement goal, but the game doesn't penalize you for using those items and you're just setting yourself up for teeth-grinding anguish by skipping them.  Also, be sure to send whatshisname out looking for treasure whenever you can, even if you have no particular place to send him.

And I'll flog The Binding of Isaac again.  I should get back into that soon.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 10:46:59 am »
Starcraft 2 arcade is free to play.

I would recommend:

If you are into turn based strategy, go for XCOM for PS3/Steam and Valkyria Chronicles  for 360/PS3/Steam.

If you like Hack and Slash with some meat in their combat, go for Dragon's Dogma for 360/PS3/Steam, Demon's Souls for PS3

brb
_-|-_

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 03:59:00 pm »
Drakengard 1 & 2: They're kind of like generic Dynasty Warrior games, but for Square games they have really dark, twisted storylines.

Also you can fly around on a dragon, there's all kinds of weapons in each game to find/level up, and while the games aren't the most polished things in the world, it's easy to sucked into the story after a few missions (D2 especially.)

Plus, the first one has one of the most hilariously twisted secret endings I've ever seen.  :)
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 05:47:34 pm »
ToME 4/Tales of Maj'Eyal.  That's been my big time pit for a good while now.  Good roguelike that's mostly what you expect, though on a larger scale than most of it's type that you can buy (and indeed, it's actually 99.9% free and the copies you get on game sites are basically the Premium version).  Sword of the Stars: The Pit has also been pretty good (though perhaps a bit odd to some... think DoomRL meets Dungeons of Dredmor).

When has Age of Wonders ever gotten old?  The third is like today's HOMM to me.  King's Bounty was also good until the last two titles... they kinda lazed around on the job I think.  They're still all good fun to some degree though.

Tropico's pretty funny but 5 wasn't so hot.  I'd say 1, 3, or 4 is where it's at.  Honestly 3 is more sandboxy and has better humor, so I wouldn't strike it out to say 4 is a straight upgrade.  It's even better if you're the type that goes to the presidential debate thread a lot.

Soldak Entertainment's entire catalog is great if you enjoy Diablo-style games and don't mind the plot suffering a bit.  The entire world is random in Depths of Peril and Din's Curse, and all sorts of things happen in town while you're out killing things, like villagers fight and people get hungry.  Drox Operative is basically this kind of game in a 2D Escape Velocity style space shooter.  Also, the Torchlight games are basically a Diablo 1/2 mix in a different setting thanks to who's behind it.

Also, the Avadon series is pretty good if your into that turn-based RPG with movement like an SRPG.  Story may get old by the third game and I can't say much for additions outside of UI buffs and one new class in 2, but it's still all good.  All of Spiderweb's games are grand (though I prefer the older Avernum releases until the third remake comes out).

Oh, and if you like Descent-style shooters and don't mind Roguelite elements there's Sublevel Zero.  Surprisingly it's really well done.  Ziggurat is also pretty darn good "normal" FPS of this type, the rooms may get old after a while but the combat's where it's at for this one.

Age of Decadence could be better, but I like the world quite a lot.  If the setting appeals to you take a gander.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 01:39:17 am by Chronosplit »

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 09:41:50 pm »
Shantae & the Pirate's Curse.

Cross between Metroidvania and Zelda-2 style action platforming, but with a modern feel.

Great humor, excellent graphics, tight controls, and one of the best VG soundtracks I've heard in a long time.

Only downside is the game has absurd levels of fanservice -- but that may not be a negative depending on your tastes.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 09:47:04 pm by Disch »

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 10:15:48 pm »
Xenoblade. It's pretty much the best RPG to come out of Japan in the 7th gen. It's a really long game, even by JRPG standards, but it doesn't feel like it thanks to extremely consistent plot pacing interspersed with great exploration and dungeon crawling.

RandomHeretic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 05:59:58 am »
Comment removed.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:40:19 am by RandomHeretic »

flame

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 01:22:36 pm »
PSP is 7th gen if you ask GameFAQs. It's within RHDN's scope as it is not current-gen (that would be Vita).

From Translations Request List PSP Games that are probably good enough to tranlsate:
Blaze Union
Danball Senki / Danball Senki Boost
Digimon Adventure
Ao no Kiseki / Trails of Blue
Zero no Kiseki / Trails of Zero
Gloria Union
Heroes Phantasia
Last Ranker
Nayuta no Kiseki (I need to finish this up)
Shining Ark
Shining Blade
Sol Trigger
Tales of Destiny 2
Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X

Officially Translated and Worth Playing (I have played all of these)
Anything by Falcom:
Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky SC
Ys I+II Chronicles
Ys Oath in Felghana
Ys Seven

Anything by STING:
Riviera: The Promised Land
Yggdra Union
Knights in the Nightmare
Generation of Chaos: Pandora's Reflection

Others:
FF VII Crisis Core
Half Minute Hero
Jeanne D'Arc

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 06:06:25 pm »
Maximo Ghosts To Glory, great hack n' slash Ghosts and Goblins Spin off, DO NOT be fooled by the goofy box art this is worth it if you like action platformers / hack n slash.

Second this one. The sequel's pretty fun as well.

As for hacks: The link in my sig is a mighty fine Super Mario Land 1 hack.   :thumbsup:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 06:12:08 pm »

I always hated the controls, but otherwise, yeah I would recommend this one too.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Seeeeph

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 07:59:53 pm »
THIS

^^That's a fourth gen hack. Took way too much time to make.  :'(

You'll probably need to register over there to see the link, so you can either do that or wait a couple more days and it should be out here on RHDN as well! :thumbsup:

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 06:39:07 am »
Yamero~~!

RandomHeretic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2016, 07:54:35 am »
Comment removed.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:40:46 am by RandomHeretic »