News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 26910 times)

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2016, 04:35:51 am »
Maybe I just have a complete misunderstanding of what this device actually is. :huh:

It's not the next Wii U, it's the next 3DS. The docking station is just to get the display sent to the TV, but all the magic happens inside the handheld device. Thus what you play on the go is what you'd get at home.

And on that front a new device was needed since the 3DS is getting pretty long in the tooth, especially graphically compared to Smartphone games. Heck, compared to Vita games. I'm actually pretty happy that they are making a handheld again that isn't overloaded with shitty gimmicks like two screens, stylus controls or useless 3D. This seems to be made for one thing and one thing only: play games in good quality. With proper controller controls and not touch BS. And that the thing can also be used at home will hopefully lead to more games for it being designed as "full fledged" games instead of as obvious handheld games. The Vita was much better in that regard than the 3DS. There is nothing even remotely comparable to FFX Remaster or Persona 4 which I could play on the Vita on the 3DS. With this I'm hopeful that that might change.

After a few days to think and getting at least some question marks cleared up I'm actually onboard with this device. Especially since I'm playing a ton of handheld games anyway since I'm staying 3 nights every week in hotels so it's the only sane way to get my gaming fix outside the weekends (heavy $2000 gaming laptops excluded, but I don't want to go that route yet).
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2016, 04:51:42 am »
Okay. I see now. It's their new portable entry that happens to function as a home console. I was thinking it was the other way around. I guess that makes sense since the 3DS is about 5 years old now. That's a fairly typical lifespan for something of this nature. I no longer have any complaints then.
 :)

(heavy $2000 gaming laptops excluded, but I don't want to go that route yet)

Wow. I guess everything is stupidly expensive these days.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2016, 04:59:44 am »
You are not the only one who is confused about this and I also needed a while to get it (and the confirmation from Nintendo that the docking station is just that and not the main part).

And this might be a problem for them. I don't know why Nintendo marketing has to be so terrible. When announcing a major product like this there should be no confusion, everyone should know what it's about and what it's for. They already said they won't give out any more information (about hardware OR games) until next year. That is INSANE. People obviously have tons of questions and instead of clearing them up and making people excited for it they'll close the doors and want to be forgotten until next year again? Sometimes it's impossible to believe Nintendo has been around in the gaming industry this long considering how they act and fail to understand basic market rules. You want people pre-ordering like crazy not scratching their heads.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2016, 02:44:40 pm »
What's confusing? It's a combo home & portable game system which has the raw specs to play games in very good quality on par or a little better than 360 or PS3. Even if there is no backward compatibility it still going to be a cool system that has flexibility.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2016, 03:20:11 pm »
http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/20/13347910/nintendo-switch-home-gaming-system
It's not the next Wii U, it's the next 3DS. The docking station is just to get the display sent to the TV, but all the magic happens inside the handheld device. Thus what you play on the go is what you'd get at home...

That's not what Nintendo claims: http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/20/13347910/nintendo-switch-home-gaming-system

/dACE

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2016, 05:24:33 pm »
That's utterly retarded, they just don't want people to not buy 3DSs this Christmas for Pokemon.

It plays 5 year old PS3 games when used as a home console. That is a joke not a Wii U successor. As a mobile device is the only place it has a reason to exist.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2016, 05:53:19 pm »
So apparently people don't have very high hopes that it'll have remotely comparative specs to the PS4/XB1.  :huh:

Meaning... they could be potentially fucking themselves out of a chunk of 3rd party support. Again.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2016, 11:01:41 pm »
http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/20/13347910/nintendo-switch-home-gaming-system
That's not what Nintendo claims: http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/20/13347910/nintendo-switch-home-gaming-system

/dACE

Exactly.

That's utterly retarded, they just don't want people to not buy 3DSs this Christmas for Pokemon.

It plays 5 year old PS3 games when used as a home console. That is a joke not a Wii U successor. As a mobile device is the only place it has a reason to exist.

Then don't buy one. But your opinion of it being a joke is pure personal perspective.

So apparently people don't have very high hopes that it'll have remotely comparative specs to the PS4/XB1.  :huh:

It's not meant to be comparable to the Xbone/PS4. And really, who cares? If games are great, fun and look good why does it matter. It's meant to be the next step in the evolution of Nintendo's gaming offerings. I have a PS3, PS4, 360, Wii, WiiU, PC, NES, SNES, TurboDuo and MadCatz MOJO. That's the short list. Here's the thing, in my home the PS4 is more or less relegated to playing Bluray movies and DVDs. The WiiU gets the lions share of game play time. It has a great library of games that no other system can touch. That's not to say the other systems don't have great titles, because we all know they do.

When my wife and I both watched that first video two days ago, it was the first time since we got married that we BOTH have been genuinely excited about a game system. PS4 was good. XB1 doesn't have anything to offer over it. WiiU over shadows them both and it is the "weaker" spec'd system. Specs don't make a system.

That having been said, Nvidia's K1 is a damn good performer and the custom version of the X1 is even more excellent. Nintendo and Nvidia know what their doing. The NSX is going to be awesome.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2016, 01:49:19 am »
And on that front a new device was needed since the 3DS is getting pretty long in the tooth, especially graphically compared to Smartphone games. Heck, compared to Vita games. I'm actually pretty happy that they are making a handheld again that isn't overloaded with shitty gimmicks like two screens, stylus controls or useless 3D.
I'm actually pretty happy with the 3DS. It's different, like you write ;D but I like it nonetheless. Good games are available - maybe not a dozen, but still, I'm usually picky enough that I don't find too many I want to play per system.

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2016, 02:53:41 am »
I like my 2ds a lot, shame I finally have to replace the stupid control stick.

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2016, 03:20:23 am »
I like my 2ds a lot, shame I finally have to replace the stupid control stick.

The 2DS is good for those who get eye strain from the 3DS screen. And you might be able to find replacement parts on Amazon/Ebay. Fixing them is easy.

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2016, 03:23:40 am »
yeah i ordered a full-plastic replacement but it's coming from Hong Kong so who knows when it gets here

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2016, 09:32:12 am »

Perhaps - but that info is supposedly from somebody close to Nintendo.

Anyway - Since I am going to play the new Zelda and was not retarded enough to buy a WiiU, I'll enjoy my Switch at home in front of my big-ass TV.

/dACE
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 01:09:11 pm by dACE »

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2016, 04:15:11 pm »
Late to the party, but this looks pretty awesome. I skipped the Wii U myself, but might get the Switch if it doesn't end up too expensive in my country. :thumbsup:

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2016, 05:04:26 pm »
Since I am going to play the new Zelda and was not retarded enough to buy a WiiU

Wait, so that Zelda game that looks like OoT with the Elder-Scrolls-sized-looking-world is a Switchblade game and not a WiiU game?
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2016, 06:27:36 pm »
Wait, so that Zelda game that looks like OoT with the Elder-Scrolls-sized-looking-world is a Switchblade game and not a WiiU game?

Seems like it's going to be on both, according to some sources.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2016, 01:30:37 am »
But your opinion of it being a joke is pure personal

Wow, I'm so glad you are pointing that out! For a Moment there I thought I was writing a news article or a paper and not a post on a gaming forum!

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2016, 02:17:12 am »
im glad people can afford all the consoles they can. i cant and have to make a decision. i cant afford any atm, but if i had to pick between what i know of the switch so far, i will simply buy a ps4 instead.
_-|-_

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2016, 02:41:22 am »
im glad people can afford all the consoles they can. i cant and have to make a decision. i cant afford any atm, but if i had to pick between what i know of the switch so far, i will simply buy a ps4 instead.

PS4 is good. But I have one and it barely gets used. Get an NSX. Or both. ;)

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2016, 03:35:57 am »
PS4 is good. But I have one and it barely gets used. Get an NSX. Or both. ;)

You've used the NSX more than your PS4!? Lucky you!

Were you one of the people in the promo!?  ;)