News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 26909 times)

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 01:04:18 am »
@lexluthermiester

Derailing thread.  Moving here:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,22908.0.html

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 01:30:02 am »
It's controller was fiercely terrible and it's library powerfully bad. After buying one you would feel as though you had been mauled by a jaguar.

LMAO!  :thumbsup:

@lexluthermiester

Derailing thread.  Moving here:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,22908.0.html

On that note, It seems the idea that a good portion of the eShop titles are very likely to be available on launch for NSX is not unfounded one. Players will seemingly have access to most of their already purchased titles from their account. It's only speculation but seems reasonable. Even if only DSi and 3DS/2DS stuff that's still a ton of good titles.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 01:36:27 am by lexluthermiester »

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2016, 03:23:58 am »
The name seems like the best one they came up with in a long time. At least it's not possible to associate it with peeing or with a children's toy (aka Nintendo is for kids stuff) or just a random technical number.

I'm very sceptical of the concept, hybrid designs always have many compromises and the weaknesses from all the integrated parts. Just look at Win8 and 10. The fully "assembled" controller for stationary use looks as unweildly as a DC controller and that's not a good thing. I haven't read anything about the hardware yet so I can't comment much about that aspect but it'll either have terrible battery life or bad stationary graphics, one of the two has to be true unless the docking station basically houses a second console that'll activate or support the handheld part.If it's extra hardware it'll be a mess for developers to support it again and I thought we had moved on from terrible custom hardware designs like the Saturn or the PS2.

Though speaking of developer support, it seems like nvidia is responsible for the software dev stack this time. Which must be a huge improvement over the horror stories you read about Nintendo's horrible SDKs and the way they support for 3rd party devs (aka barely at all).

Game wise they showed off Mario and a port of a 5 year old popular game. Wow I'm so unexcited. Someone needs to shoot Mario so Nintendo finally has to stop using him as a crutch.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 09:43:15 am »
I have to say - I'mstill looking at this thing called the Switch without a good grip on how I'm supposed to be excited about it.
OK, I can plug it into my TV at home, and take it with me on the go. Hmm. So if it's on the go, it's the biggest PSP I've ever had - that part is "fine but not overly exciting". (I mean - they've already been increasing size over and over and over. Itdoesn't fit into my pocket already, right?)
If it's hooked to myTV, it's just like another console before. Except they've at last chosen to have a normal controller, which I both like and am unexcited about - it's just the same as ever, right?
What's the point of putting a screen down in the street (and getting it stolen by a passerby) to play with friends, instead of using that flat TV I got home?
Where's the innovation that Nintendo shelved (or tried to) regularly? With many VR experiences coming to us, is Nintendo just going to watch that train pass and stay sitting on the bench?

If you want excitement, seriously, get to try an HTC Vive or Oculus Rift. they don't have the AAA line up yet either, but the experience is new. (And yes, they lack a way to walk for real over longer distances than a couple of steps. Still. Wow there. No wow here.)

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2016, 11:37:16 am »
So far the only convincing thing was the actual controller (nice design, looks like it's got a good grip). The rest of it looks quite bland and nothing really to write home about. Now what they need is a huge library of games, which the WiiU could barely afford with first and second parties.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

flame

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2016, 11:58:15 am »
Is it just me, or is the frequency that they are putting these things out starting to resemble Sega just before they seemed to lose their place in the market? Like how they were constantly adding on to the Genesis and then before those things even had much of a chance to catch on they were announcing the Saturn.
Eh, not really. The lord giveth and the lord taketh away.
SNES had a GB adapter, Gamecube had a GBA adapter, Wii had a GC inside of it (???) but you couldn't use those adapters anymore, and you could use controllers of the previous console for the first time, Wii U dropped support for Gamecube controllers.

For switch we need more info. Nintendo has nothing to announce regarding the touch function at this time. That could give us a clue as to backwards compatibility if they came out one way or the other on this.

A chance for actually good tablet games. Current tablets are powerful, but control is limited. Your app won't sell if it requires a controller as most people don't have them.

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 01:05:38 pm »
I have to say - I'mstill looking at this thing called the Switch without a good grip on how I'm supposed to be excited about it.
OK, I can plug it into my TV at home, and take it with me on the go. Hmm. So if it's on the go, it's the biggest PSP I've ever had - that part is "fine but not overly exciting". (I mean - they've already been increasing size over and over and over. Itdoesn't fit into my pocket already, right?)
If it's hooked to myTV, it's just like another console before. Except they've at last chosen to have a normal controller, which I both like and am unexcited about - it's just the same as ever, right?
What's the point of putting a screen down in the street (and getting it stolen by a passerby) to play with friends, instead of using that flat TV I got home?
Where's the innovation that Nintendo shelved (or tried to) regularly? With many VR experiences coming to us, is Nintendo just going to watch that train pass and stay sitting on the bench?

If you want excitement, seriously, get to try an HTC Vive or Oculus Rift. they don't have the AAA line up yet either, but the experience is new. (And yes, they lack a way to walk for real over longer distances than a couple of steps. Still. Wow there. No wow here.)

So far the only convincing thing was the actual controller (nice design, looks like it's got a good grip). The rest of it looks quite bland and nothing really to write home about. Now what they need is a huge library of games, which the WiiU could barely afford with first and second parties.

The two of you are in the extreme minority. Everywhere I've been reading anything about the NSX has been overwhelmingly positive. Even sites that have traditionally been huge skeptics are expressing how positively impressed they are.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2016, 01:15:16 pm »
^ Hype train I guess. I don't usually care that much about Nintendo products, they are mostly stuff with a weak gimmick we've seen somewhere else already. The Switch is basically a tablet that can hook to a tv and with a weird docking controller. Why should I feel overwhelmed when I barely care about gimmicks and check game libraries instead?
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

flame

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2016, 03:46:17 pm »
Strawman has a point.
It's basically a more expensive Nvidia Shield that can hook up to a TV.
The Nvidia Shield comes in two hardware versions: One that is a tablet with an Xbox-style controller and the second uses a TV for its display...it also includes the Xbox-style controller.
...Whoops, I guess the Shield is not available anymore.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2016, 05:09:34 pm »
SNES had a GB adapter, Gamecube had a GBA adapter, Wii had a GC inside of it (???)

Those were actually good ideas that were good for fans. As soon as those devices came out they already had a huge library available whereas the trash Sega put out was unnecessary and for games that would only work with those devices and none of them were really on the market that long from what I remember (which meant that they never had a substantial library).

Anyway, my real point here is that like Sega and Atari, Nintendo is putting out too many things in a short span of time (that are unnecessary) which is really only going to give each of them less time to grow a market or library. Nobody wants to buy a game system that developers will abandon in a year or two when the next thing comes out. If this thing is compatible with a bunch of games that are already out there then it isn't so bad. Otherwise, this device is a mistake.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2016, 10:12:11 pm »
Bad news guys  :'(, Nintendo just said that the Nintendo Switch is not compatible with both 3DS and Wii U titles.
And i wanted to buy SSB4 for play on the new system........

If you don't believe me, here's the link to the article:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/10/nintendo_confirms_switch_isnt_physically_backwards_compatible_with_3ds_and_wii_u_software
"I hate when mods don't let you ask for help."

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2016, 10:20:42 pm »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2016, 10:55:27 pm »
So what games are compatible with the Nintendo Switch again?

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2016, 11:25:10 pm »

LOL! Nice!

So what games are compatible with the Nintendo Switch again?

Give it time. Nintendo will release that info.

Bad news guys  :'(, Nintendo just said that the Nintendo Switch is not compatible with both 3DS and Wii U titles.
And i wanted to buy SSB4 for play on the new system........

If you don't believe me, here's the link to the article:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/10/nintendo_confirms_switch_isnt_physically_backwards_compatible_with_3ds_and_wii_u_software

You will note the headline says "Isn't Physically Backwards Compatible With 3DS And Wii U Software". This is not surprising. The NSX doesn't have an optical drive so the WiiU disc's will of course not be compatible. As for the 3DS, it seems clear that the slots will not be compatible either. However the compatibility I referred to earlier was the eShop, not the physical titles.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2016, 11:58:00 pm »
Give it time. Nintendo will release that info.

Considering how important that bit of info is, you would think that would be one of the first things mentioned. Now I'm starting to think that the gameplay footage is fake and that this thing really isn't as far along as they'd like us to believe. Maybe I'm just being cynical.

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2016, 12:12:19 am »
Considering how important that bit of info is, you would think that would be one of the first things mentioned. Now I'm starting to think that the gameplay footage is fake and that this thing really isn't as far along as they'd like us to believe. Maybe I'm just being cynical.

Maybe. Remember, Nintendo has a habit of releasing info in stages. Let's all be patient. Assuming the worst and nothing will be compatible, the thing is still going to be bad ass.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2016, 12:47:56 am »
Maybe. Remember, Nintendo has a habit of releasing info in stages. Let's all be patient. Assuming the worst and nothing will be compatible, the thing is still going to be bad ass.

I hate to keep pushing this, but if it does have a serious lack of compatibility then it does fall into the category I mentioned earlier with the 32x and whatnot because it then becomes pro business/profit and anti-consumer in a way. By contrast, those other devices mentioned like the Super Gameboy were almost like a reward for investing in Nintendo that gave the player more options for their existing library (Nintendo's library new and old and the collection that each gamer was in possession of, either way). Without compatibility, it's just another gimmick that is being sold with little regard for their fan base/supporters.

EDIT: I'm assuming the Switch isn't just an add-on but I think the comparison still holds up. Something like the 32x (or a new console that comes along in a relatively short period of time after another console but lacking compatibility) is just something else to buy. Something like the Super Gameboy is something to buy that helps solve a problem the consumer has (not owning a Gameboy or not caring about portable gaming). The 32x was all about Sega while the SGB was about Nintendo and it's existing fan base.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 01:03:25 am by SunGodPortal »

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2016, 03:45:08 am »
What were you guys expecting, backwards compatiblity is a major cost factor and with the 3DS and Wii U it wouldn't even physically work. The Switch has one big widescreen where the 3DS had two screens arranged vertically. Plus, obviously no 3D. Even if they made it run the experience playing it on the Switch would be pretty garbage. We don't even know if it'll have a touch screen or if it's just a plain screen (I actually hope so because the touch screen did absolutely nothing for actual games, I can live without retarded speed rubbing minigames ala The World Ends With You or the faux boob rubbing BS in most Vita RPGs, thanks).

Simulating a Wii U would only work when using it at home because on the go you only have one screen and the Switch is obviously a handheld while home use is just a TV out option. (They confirmed by now that the docking station contains no further hardware, it is just a TV bridge and battery loading station) so this would go against the system's goals and design if you could play Wii U games but only at home.

All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2016, 03:56:37 am »
I agree with KaioShin and SunGodPortal. Backward compatibility is a very tough thing to implement. Rembmer how the first PS3's had to have PS1 hardware inside to be compatible with those titles.
eShop is the way to go to get your previous library. As the industry has proven, it won't come for free, so keep your good ol' consoles fit and away from dust!

As for the hype, again, show me something new. It's OK to be excited by the hardware - hardware always looks different, and I like the new toys too, don't get me wrong. It's just a fact there's nothing innovative that's been shown so far, and I'm all about innovations coming to me. The only new thing is that the controller splits into 2 for local multiplayer - a concept I quite like, mind you. It's just not as awesome-great-mind-blowing-wowy as you guys write about. You'll still get to play the same old games on new hardware. I don't care if I'm a minority. I've probably seen more console generations than you - it makes sense I'd be less wowed by the fluff and flash.
Of course websites are going to write as much as they can on this. There's not a lot happening in the gaming industry nowadays, and this is supposed to be a big event. No matter the actual added value, they're going to wow about it.
Let's wait for official reviews.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2016, 04:05:36 am »
Actually, what I was getting at was that if there is no backwards compatibility and this is just an entirely new system then this is a system that should not be, as there is no need for it whatsoever. The Wii U is not very old. If they release a new system that is not compatible with some of their existing games (this early) then it is a huge disservice to the fans for the sake of trying to sell their latest gimmick.

Maybe I just have a complete misunderstanding of what this device actually is. :huh: