News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Is it possible to hack Tiny Toon Adventures: ACME All-Stars for 3vs3 play?  (Read 2062 times)

Fureon

• View Profile
A question for experienced hackers: is such a thing possible?
Tiny Toon Adventures: ACME All-Stars is a great game.
But its only multiplayer options above 2 players in basketball and football modes are either 1P+2P+3P vs CPU or 1P+2P vs 3P+4P.
The former gives each player control over ther individual character. The latter, unfortunately, is not so great, and the game gives either player control over the character it selects on its own, which can be confusing.
A 3vs3 mode would be much better.
Is it possible at all to hack in a 1P+2P+3P vs 4P+5P+6P mode somehow?
I guess you can count that as a request...

Thanks!

FAST6191

• View Profile
So a megadrive/genesis title then.
The 4 players thing is achieved with a multitap and unlike some I think it was racing games I am not aware of anything in the cartridge itself.
Video for others, there are off screen characters/sprites to handle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v3WVmXbUkY

To that end you are in for a serious hack if you want to do this, and may will have to delve into electronics or coding an emulator specifically to handle it. I don't see a reason why you could not kick control of a sprite to another portion of memory which a controller is read into, and thus have your mod, but the stumbling block will be figuring out how to get the controls in. What might work is find a lua supporting emulator (not sure what the kids are using on the megadrive for this one but tool assisted speedrun forums are the usual place to start looking here) and then get it to manually inject results of keyboard/joypad/whatever presses into some free space in the game's memory and then altering the AI routines (or indeed removing them) and replacing them with the key presses.

Had you just wanted to do 1+2+3 vs 4+cpu1+cpu2 then we might have had something to discuss, indeed for the above hack I would probably start by doing that as figuring out how to do that would get you 90% of the way there other than the getting extra controller inputs to be recognised.

Fureon

• View Profile
Kega Fusion supports "TeamPlayer" multitap in both ports, leading to support of up to 8 controllers.
To my knowledge, no commercial game has had ever used that, so I can't say to what extent it works... but at least that's implemented in the emu.
How about that?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 02:50:24 pm by Fureon »

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
    • Jo Li KMC @ Tumblr
If it's any help to anyone, Factor 5 made an 8-player Bomberman tech demo for Hudson Soft back before Mega Bomberman became a port of Bomberman '94.  It uses a double-multitap setup to achieve completely-functional 8-player controls.

Fureon

• View Profile
If it's any help to anyone, Factor 5 made an 8-player Bomberman tech demo for Hudson Soft back before Mega Bomberman became a port of Bomberman '94.  It uses a double-multitap setup to achieve completely-functional 8-player controls.
Thank you! So maybe this can be used?