News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Link's Awakening DX Hacking Notes/Tips  (Read 2131 times)

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
Link's Awakening DX Hacking Notes/Tips
« on: November 07, 2016, 05:26:13 pm »
Been messing around with LA DX a good bit lately (Mostly through LALE and YYCHR) and since the old Zeldahacking.net forum isn't around ( :banghead:) I figured I'd start this thread to share and collect different tips on the inner workings of the game.

First off, I made a list of the tracks for ease of use with LALE:

Spoiler:
00 - Lower Volume of Sound/Music
01 - Title Screen
02 - Crane Game
03 - Game Over
04 - Mabe Village
05 - Overworld
06 - Tal Tal Mountain
07 - Shop/Witch's Hut
08 - Raft Ride
09 - Mysterious Woods
0a - Inside of a House
0b - Animal Village
0c - Fairy Fountain
0d - Title Screen (Shortened)
0e - BowWow's Kidnapped
0f - Found the Sword (Loops)
10 - Item Get (loops)
11 - File Select
12 - Wind Fish's Egg
13 - Castle
14 - 1st Dungeon
15 - 2nd Dungeon
16 - 3rd Dungeon
17 - 4th Dungeon
18 - Instrument Room
19 - Boss Fight
1a - Title Screen (Extended)
1b - Get Instrument
1c - First Event music
1d - Pre-Sword Mabe Village
1e - Sleeping at the Dream Shrine
1f - Ruins
20 - Cello
21 - Demon Altar
22 - Owl Music
23 - Final Boss
24 - Dream Shrine
25 - Boss Killed/Instrument Room
26 - Caves
27 - Acorn/Piece of Power - Extended
28 - Instrument 1
29 - Instrument 2
2a - Instrument 3
2b - Instrument 4
2c - Instrument 5
2d - Instrument 6
2e - Instrument 7
2f - Marin Singing
30 - Dancing Fish
31 - Overworld (Extended Intro)
32 - Indoors 2
33 - Phonebooth
34 - Pissed Off Bees
35 - King Frog Singing
36 - Monkey Music
37 - Indoors 3
38 - Alternate Item Get
39 - Fighting Rock Turtle
3a - Minigame Music 2
3b - Unused
3c - Alternate File Select 2
3d - NOTHING
3e - Saving Bow Wow
3f - Endgame BotWF
40 - Indoors 3
41 - Instrument 8
42 - Instrument 9
43 - Instrument 10
44 - Instrument 11
45 - Instrument 12
46 - Instrument 13
47 - Instrument 14
48 - Ghost's House
49 - Acorn/Piece of Power
4a - BotWF Marin + Ocarina
4b - Dungeon
4c - Drain the Waterfall
4d - Another Jingle
4e - With Marin at the Beach
4f - Jingle
50 - Mini Boss
51 - Dungeon 5
52 - Dungeon 6
53 - Dreamland
54 - Bigass Bird Boss appears + Boss Music
55 - Getting the 2nd Sword
56 - Getting the 2nd Sword - Extended
57 - Happy Farm Music
58 - Dungeon 7
59 - Talking to the Wind fish
5a - Dungeon 8
5b - Dungeon 9
5c - Bigass Bird - Before Fight
5d - Boss saying stuff after a fight
5e - Boss saying stuff after a fight 2
5f - Endgame - Talking to the Owl
60 - Alternate File Select
61 - Remixed NES Zelda 1 Dungeon Music

Granted it's not the most detailed of lists, but it certainly beats blindly testing the tracks one by one!  :thumbsup:

Other neat things I've noticed are:

*There are 2 sets of graphics in the game - 1 for colored 1 for monotone
*The Colored Overworld is basically an overlay overtop the original version in a sense. If you don't care how the non-colored version of a map looks, you can, say, turn a Flower's collision in LALE to that of the walkable/cuttable grass tile, and in game that flower tile will have all the properties of the tall grass - including being able to be cut down!
* If you put too much text in a message in LALE, it will overlap another one (easy fix)
*If  you put too little text in a message LALE that is originally super huge, the editor will crash.
*The "DX" graphics for the title screen are a bit scattered near the end of the ROM. They be removed without mess up the title screen as they are just overlayed on top of it.
*There appears to be 3 multiple versions of the Zora enemy throughout the enemy graphics, suggesting that one could potentially have 3 different "pop out of water to shoot projectiles" enemies in a hack.

Aaaand that's about all I can think of off the top of my head. The documents section of this site has a couple documents on various offsets on things, but other than that there isn't much  info floating around (Unless the Zeldahacking.net forum had info that's now lost). If anyone else has any random tips or info on Link's Awakening DX or the editors for it I'd be grateful for the advice!
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Drenn

• View Profile
Re: Link's Awakening DX Hacking Notes/Tips
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 07:19:07 pm »
You're not the only one who misses zeldahacking.net. :(

We still have an archive of the site, perhaps it has some useful information on link's awakening: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3WMeBDDuDleaDB5U0g2S0x6Sk0/view?usp=sharing

Personally I'm not as much into LADX as the oracles, but I'm always glad to see people hacking it as well. It's almost as good as the oracles.  ;)
Zeldahacking.net: The hub for Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons hacking. We have a discord!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 07:41:36 pm »
You guys could probably put this sort of stuff on zeldix.net. It has almost nothing but A Link to the Past stuff but that's not a rule. There aren't a lot of people who work on Zelda III so it's not like any other Zelda hacking would be in the way there.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Drenn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 07:56:39 pm »
You guys could probably put this sort of stuff on zeldix.net. It has almost nothing but A Link to the Past stuff but that's not a rule. There aren't a lot of people who work on Zelda III so it's not like any other Zelda hacking would be in the way there.
I've checked that place out before, but all of its rom-hacking related sections are phrased in such a way that they assume you'll be talking about Zelda 3. Unless they're intentionally limiting their scope, they could use a "miscellaneous hacking" section.
Zeldahacking.net: The hub for Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons hacking. We have a discord!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 08:56:05 pm »
I've checked that place out before, but all of its rom-hacking related sections are phrased in such a way that they assume you'll be talking about Zelda 3. Unless they're intentionally limiting their scope, they could use a "miscellaneous hacking" section.

I guess that's understandable. It started out as a private forum for the team members of one specific Zelda III hack and expanded from there. I'm one of the moderators there so I guess I could ask the other staff about improvements in regard to this. I personally would like to see the site expanded in this fashion since Hyrule Magic (which ALttP hacking/modding is centered around) kills most of the potential for a proper "scene".
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 01:36:54 pm »
You're not the only one who misses zeldahacking.net. :(

We still have an archive of the site, perhaps it has some useful information on link's awakening: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3WMeBDDuDleaDB5U0g2S0x6Sk0/view?usp=sharing

Personally I'm not as much into LADX as the oracles, but I'm always glad to see people hacking it as well. It's almost as good as the oracles.  ;)

Oh wow, thanks for the link! The next time I'm around fast enough internet to download it I'll be pouring over that bad boy like it were the Rosetta Stone!

Not gonna lie: that would be pretty badass. Zeldix was one of the first places I checked for info, ironically enough (mainly from it being the only Zelda-specific hacking  forum I've come across).
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Doomed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 01:48:00 pm »
I am most interested in changing the annoying text in the game: rocks too heavy, and the messages from the acorns and pieces of power. You can hack out the text to be just FF, but then a blank text box still pops up. Also, a text speed hack would be amazing. Sadly, I don't know how to do any of these.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,22000.msg314346.html#msg314346

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 02:38:21 pm »
Wish I had the knowledge to help you out with that (I ended up just shortening the messages so they waste less time).

I've been trying to track down the routines for the Roc's Feather so I can alter what animation frames are called, and so I can remove the little vertical flip that happens at the end of a jump. I'm hoping I can also change how the graphics are loaded as well, as my character does a mario-styled jump. I could nix one of the two graphics used in the sideview's jump and have a full 16x16 pose for front facing and back facing jumps (as opposed to how the game normally does it - an 8x16 pose that's copied and flipped horizontally to look like a 16x16 pose).

So far haven't had much luck on that. :laugh: BUT, I found that more enemies have multiple versions of their graphics strewn throughout the rom, such as:

Jumping Skeletons
Those wiggling walking eel things
Bow Wow - I've seen like 3+ copies of his graphics throughout the rom. To edit the version of Bow Wow that you see in Mabe Village, it can be found at B9700 in Rom with a 2x2V pattern in YYCHR.

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 12:42:21 pm »
For the Roc's Feather routine, I have 0hx21DD bookmarked and I think that controls the height of the jump.  I bet if you look around you might find what you are looking for.  Also at 0hx1298 you find the equipment check.  It checks your currently equipped item and will branch to its effects if true.  Only problem is that the ASM for equipment is scattered all about the rom.  Pretty much most of the items with projectiles will have a sprite index it calls, but also adds in their own trajectory modifiers.  The sprite list starts at 0hX80000 and are 3 byte pointers.