News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project [PSX]  (Read 46610 times)

acediez

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project [PSX]
« Reply #180 on: June 14, 2018, 12:36:07 am »
As long as I'm still playing around with these games, any information you can share is useful, though maybe you should send me a PM instead of hijacking this thread  :laugh:

Z3R0X

• My name's not shane, kid.
    • View Profile
    • My YT channel with mini tools.
« Reply #181 on: June 26, 2018, 04:32:36 am »
I want to edit the title screen on MMX5, any ideas of how to extract and reinsert files into the Rockman_X5.BIN

LoyalLedger

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 24, 2018, 11:27:31 pm »
Hey, hope this isn't a necropost, but with the release of the Megaman X Legacy collection, I was wondering what the possibility of seeing this romhack converted into a mod for the PC version of Legacy X5 is? I would love to be able to apply these critical changes to an official version of the game. Does anyone know if that is possible, and would anyone here be interested in even doing it? Classic Legacy collection never seem to get any kinds of mods, which is strange to me, so I don't even know if people care to mod the X games. Thanks!

Z3R0X

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 25, 2018, 09:13:34 am »
Hey, hope this isn't a necropost, but with the release of the Megaman X Legacy collection, I was wondering what the possibility of seeing this romhack converted into a mod for the PC version of Legacy X5 is? I would love to be able to apply these critical changes to an official version of the game. Does anyone know if that is possible, and would anyone here be interested in even doing it? Classic Legacy collection never seem to get any kinds of mods, which is strange to me, so I don't even know if people care to mod the X games. Thanks!
Yes, I think the games does not have any changes whatsoever, they will be like Mega Man X Collection versions or their original PC versions, I will start to fix them, but I don't have the game.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 25, 2018, 12:21:08 pm »
Would be nice to get MMXLC2 rips of the renamed Mavericks' text from the stage introduction screen.

Ghaleonh41

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 25, 2018, 02:06:54 pm »
It would be cool to get this to work with the PC version! Make things more consistent across the board if possible. And I can help test since I have the original PC version.

MajinKaan

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 26, 2018, 02:17:42 am »
The English maverick names are much better though. The original names sound less creative and more boring. Also I don’t really see a reason to play any LC... Between RCW1-6 being much better than LC1, censorship in several titles, worse X5 maverick names and the lack of the superior Sega Saturn versions of 8 and X4. Also all of these games are better off on emulators anyways.

hyagogow

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 26, 2018, 01:05:22 pm »
My intuition is as this legacy games run on moderns machined maybe extract data from them can be easier.
Has anyone tried this already?

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 27, 2018, 03:30:53 am »
Would be nice to get MMXLC2 rips of the renamed Mavericks' text from the stage introduction screen.

I managed to extract them from the game files:

Interestingly, the old names are still present in the files.

Squall_FF8

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 27, 2018, 03:46:12 am »
For what computer, DarkSamus993? PC, PSX,..?

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 27, 2018, 09:21:28 am »
I ripped these from the PC release of MMXLC2. After unpacking the arc files they were stored as 8bpp raw bitmaps (Tile Molester settings = 8bpp linear, 2-dimensional) with separate palette files.

hyagogow

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 27, 2018, 09:25:40 am »
I ripped these from the PC release of MMXLC2. After unpacking the arc files they were stored as 8bpp raw bitmaps (Tile Molester settings = 8bpp linear, 2-dimensional) with separate palette files.

Rip content from this collection is the same of rip from old PC versions?

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 27, 2018, 10:58:48 am »
The SNES games are emulated, so they're stored exactly as is in the executable file (it's even possible to swap in different ROMs).

----------------------------------------

The PSX game's main storage format has changed from "4bpp linear reverse-order, 2-dimensional" to the aforementioned "8bpp linear, 2-dimensional". There's at least one other variant used in places that seems to be 32bpp or something. Another change is the player & special weapon graphics are no longer stored as compressed like on the PSX!

The old PC ports kept everything the same from the PSX except the sfx/bgm were converted to WAV, and the movies were converted to WMV. The same is true for the PC version of the X Legacy Collections.

As for new graphical content, there's the X5 maverick name changes of course, but I don't think anything else was added/changed.

I haven't looked at X7 or X8 data yet, so I can't comment on that.

And lastly, the new HD textures (the artwork, menus, etc.) seem to be stored in a DirectDraw Surface variant.

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 27, 2018, 07:37:27 pm »
So, project revived?

TempestBlade

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project
« Reply #194 on: July 27, 2018, 08:03:13 pm »
I updated the boss names with the proper palettes:

I managed to extract them from the game files:

Interestingly, the old names are still present in the files.

Shining Firefly and Spiral Pegasus are too big compared to fan-made.
Tidal Whale is short.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 27, 2018, 08:17:38 pm »
Those are very awkward size variations. I would assume is because they kept the constrains of the original version, but some of those are actually bigger. Maybe it's the size of the japanese ones?

Z3R0X

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 28, 2018, 07:56:42 am »
Those are very awkward size variations. I would assume is because they kept the constrains of the original version, but some of those are actually bigger. Maybe it's the size of the japanese ones?
That will be a problem I assume if we want to replace these images on the original PSX we will need to rebuild the CD image or just make it smaller to fit in the original size.

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2018, 02:14:23 am »
Will you put the Japanese title screen into the game? It may seem pointless, but X5's title screen is a lot less generic than the western release.

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2018, 11:11:46 pm »
Man, the titlescreen by acediez is fantastic, and almost perfectly in line with the Japanese standard.

I was thinking about the voice acting in the game, and checked some videos on youtube, and wow, the Japanese version had pretty much the same lack of voice acting! We just lost the announcer and the "kurae!" everytime X fires a charged buster. Not even the bosses had audio clips like X4!

By the way, am I the only one who's always felt the X/Zero boss fight was too easy or short for such an important moment? Maybe that one could be buffed.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 06, 2018, 11:24:31 pm »
Thanks for your comments on the title screen. Now that I see it again (wow, it's been awhile!) I think it needs a bit of polish around the logo, there's some artifacts product of reducing colors to the indexed palette... but besides that, I totally stand by it. I've been meaning to edit one for X6 too, I'll get to it eventually (and more importantly, I hope I'm able to implement it).

By the way, am I the only one who's always felt the X/Zero boss fight was too easy or short for such an important moment? Maybe that one could be buffed.
I've thought about this too. I was thinking that even reducing damage dealt on both sides would probably be enough to make it longer and bit more tense. Would be one of the few times I'd actually like to make a boss battle longer (most of the time I vouch for increasing damage on bosses that drag for too long)