News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Buu Yuu Retsuden.  (Read 1570 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
Buu Yuu Retsuden.
« on: September 25, 2016, 11:22:04 pm »
I had this on the Genesis. The Japanese cart played just fine in my American machine. I think I got it off of Ebay when I was like 18 or something.

Of all the DBZ games I've played (including Hyper Dimension) it is the simplest, and seems to have the best sense of "flow." That said, the ground-based special moves are usually nothing to write home about. It's all about dizzying your opponent and charging your meter to deliver the ki blast that'll wipe them off the map, if they don't block it, which the computer seems very very good at, and I've rarely ever remembered how to do :D

Ever check this out? The DBZ fighting games could be really hit or miss, but this one's got great music, smooth gameplay and a good character selection to boot.

Opinions?
Yamero~~!

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: Buu Yuu Retsuden.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 02:24:57 pm »
We only played Hyper Dimension back in the day simply because it looked SO much better than the other ones.

I recently played a bit of Xenoverse, it's actually quite enjoyable.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 02:40:15 am »
I've always liked Super Butoden 2 for the SNES the most out of all the DBZ fighting games. The music, graphics, controls and moves were all well thought out. It also had an interesting story mode that let the player make choices from time to time. The first game also had a good story mode, but not so good graphics. Whereas the third game was just plain bad in my opinion...

Buu Yuu Retsuden was my second favorite. As for Hyper Dimension, I liked it a bit, but I don't know why so many people seem to prefer it over the Super Butoden series. It's definitely more fast paced, but somehow doesn't seem to be in the style/spirit of DBZ. Especially in terms of being able to fly freely. It also lacked the classic energy beam battles like in Super Butoden.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 03:51:04 pm »
I actually tried it for a bit the other day after listening to the (pretty great) soundtrack; seems pretty solid if a bit stiff. Fighting games aren't really my thing, especially not single player but I'll try it against a buddy at some point.

Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.