News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Console with remastered games included  (Read 4627 times)

Poppler

• View Profile
Console with remastered games included
« on: September 07, 2016, 09:45:20 am »
I've been thinking about how lately a lot of retro consoles are being released with just game roms included with HDTV support and other things, like the new NES mini, the portable Neo Geo X and so on. But... why not release a console that can play the original games but has a "remaster" mode as an addition?

You could release a Sega Genesis with 20 or 15 games included with new modes, games with 60frps and no slowdown, widescreen support (if possible), retranslations, etc. Basically, something like Sega is doing with the Sonic android ports or the Sega Ages 3D, but released included in a console pack.
I mean, in 2016 there's no excuse to keep playing Double Dragon with thousands of slowdown or other games with the same bugs of the eighties when there's so much CPU power to overcome that hurdles and even improve the original experience (maintaining an original mode).

I'm not asking for polygonal remakes or 2D in high resolution, just the same games with new options or graphics that keep the same pixel art style and resolution. I think it's something that could sell very well and also brings something new to the old games to keep them fresh for old gamers.

EDIT: look, for instance, how much content was cut from a game like Forgotten Worlds:
https://tcrf.net/Forgotten_Worlds_(Arcade)
You could have the game with that content added or other improvements more.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 09:52:03 am by Poppler »

Axiphel

• View Profile
Re: Console with remastered games included
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 04:32:38 pm »
Because then they would either have to recreate the hardware necessary or create an emulator that is 100% compatible with all the games for that system while also being good enough to run on cheap hardware.

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 06:39:27 pm »
Short answer? They would essentially have to port each and every game (probably without source code) at an enormous expense. Remastering actually takes a lot of resources, most specifically for art resources and programming.

Now consider that people wouldn't pay much of a premium over what they're already willing to pay for only the retro games. There really isn't any profit to be had in this idea.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 09:35:23 pm »
Because then they would either have to recreate the hardware necessary or create an emulator that is 100% compatible with all the games for that system while also being good enough to run on cheap hardware.

Wasn't the PSTV only compatible with half the games or something like that and they still released it? :P
(So I've heard it required a PS3/PS4 controller and thus lacked touch support.)

Which is a shame because I'd have bought one otherwise.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 10:26:12 pm »
It's compatible with most games. If you have a DS4, more are compatible due to its touchpads.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 11:01:22 pm »
Basically, something like Sega is doing with the Sonic android ports or the Sega Ages 3D, but released included in a console pack.
The 3D Sega games for the 3DS are indeed written from the perspective of a theoretical "Gigadrive".
http://blogs.sega.com/2013/12/03/sega-3d-classics-%E2%80%93-3d-sonic-the-hedgehog-interview-with-developer-m2/

I would say that standalone consoles aren't really profitable to bother with anymore when you can just release such titles on any old console these days, but then Nintendo is doing that thing with the mini NES.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Poppler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 02:33:26 am »
Now consider that people wouldn't pay much of a premium over what they're already willing to pay for only the retro games. There really isn't any profit to be had in this idea.
Really? Nowadays, with the raspberry Pi and such I don't know if it would be such a deal to create a hardware to run classic games at 60 frames. In fact, Nintendo has done something like that with the mini NES and people in the gaming forums are all: "shut up and take my money!". Now imagine Nintendo added new content like E-reader levels for Super Mario 3, 60 frps, bug fixes in some games, etc. As I say, I'm not talking about redoing in 3D the games or anything like that. I know that still it takes resources to do such things but look how the well Sega Ages 3DS are selling.
if so many people are willing to pay for a NES in 2016, they will be mad for a NES with new content and features.

Sometimes, as we can see in this very page, a simple romhacking or translation (like the english Castlevania III) could make a game much better. and talking about Nintendo, with the Wii Shop I think that they have added some new content and translations in some games.   

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 05:02:51 pm »
You could always  just hack a Wii and play hacks like Mother 25th Anniversary Edition and Pitfall 30th Anniversary Edition and somewhat get the experience you're looking for.

That's what I do, anyway. Keeps the old CRT tv in my living room in use.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 06:30:25 pm »
I suppose sega could allow for it via Steam on such a console, but it's still kind of a roundabout and limited way of accessing hacks for the consumers.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 09:26:27 am »
if so many people are willing to pay for a NES in 2016, they will be mad for a NES with new content and features.
The question is not "would they go mad"; the question is "would they sell sufficiently more units than they would have otherwise to make the effort worthwhile".  The overwhelming majority of people interested in making the purchase would not care about things like "E-reader levels for Super Mario 3, 60 frps, bug fixes in some games, etc."  Heck, the overwhelming majority of people interested in making the purchase will probably poke at it for a couple of hours and then leave it to collect dust.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 11:00:51 am »
Having worked my way through university in a game retailer, I would say very confidently that "improved graphics" and the like would actually dissuade more casual customers than it would attract.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 01:30:10 pm »
Double Dragon Arcade on 360 had a screen filter which changed the sprites. I don't know how easy it is to do something like that but it could be done on a device with 360 power anyway. I think DD Trilogy also has remixed music on iPad too but that's at least PS2 power, not 360 power. Well, changing the music wouldn't be hard but you have to hire a composer tho. Anyway most of DD 1's remixed music sucked, just DD2 had good remixed music. I wouldn't say DD1's remixed graphics on 360 were alot better either, they were just different and weren't as old school. Then again the graphics could turn out like the Final Fantasy games on iOS or steam. I know FF6 looks pretty horrible. I dunno if remixes are a good idea, unless the enhancements are optional.

Now that I think about it, PS1 had megaman ports that had new music, that actually turned out really well.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 05:01:42 pm »
The question is not "would they go mad"; the question is "would they sell sufficiently more units than they would have otherwise to make the effort worthwhile".  The overwhelming majority of people interested in making the purchase would not care about things like "E-reader levels for Super Mario 3, 60 frps, bug fixes in some games, etc."

But at the same time, having a good product would also bring in people who might otherwise see such a product as a cheap cash-in, which it would be if the main concern were "how can we leave out as many thing as possible to control costs in case it doesn't sell as well as we'd like it to". Designing such a system involves a bit of catch 22 I guess. In the end, the question is not whether people would buy a new, suped up NES (they obviously will given the hype), the question is "would Nintendo have to balls to attempt such a thing". The answer is by now obviously: no. They want to be cheap.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 11:58:47 pm »
Someone ran a kickstarter to do this before I believe - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/973736766/the-cybermatrix-100-tu01

Poppler

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 07:00:03 am »
But at the same time, having a good product would also bring in people who might otherwise see such a product as a cheap cash-in, which it would be if the main concern were "how can we leave out as many thing as possible to control costs in case it doesn't sell as well as we'd like it to". Designing such a system involves a bit of catch 22 I guess. In the end, the question is not whether people would buy a new, suped up NES (they obviously will given the hype), the question is "would Nintendo have to balls to attempt such a thing". The answer is by now obviously: no. They want to be cheap.
In fact I actually bought the 3DS just to play the Sega Ages 3D, but it's a shame you can play those games only in that small screen. I mean, how many Sega Genesis clones with roms inside have been released? I believe in 2016 it's not justified to keep releasing barebones consoles with bad emulation (Neo Geo X) when you have the technology to even improve the experience.

In regards to the Mini NES, could't really have Nintendo included an option to play different regions of a game, translated some (Contra, Castlevania III, etc), or adding some other little touches?

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 01:01:08 am »
Someone ran a kickstarter to do this before I believe - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/973736766/the-cybermatrix-100-tu01
Holy plork.  Well, at least he had the nerve to ask for a reasonable amount of money.  It's almost enough to suggest there was a diabolical intelligence at work.

I believe in 2016 it's not justified to keep releasing barebones consoles with bad emulation (Neo Geo X) when you have the technology to even improve the experience.
Improvement requires development, and development costs money – quality control, testing, and all those lovely things that make a product go to crap if you happen to leave them out.

In regards to the Mini NES, could't really have Nintendo included an option to play different regions of a game, translated some (Contra, Castlevania III, etc), or adding some other little touches?
I do note that at least in Ultimate NES Remix, all the challenges were playable in the original Japanese versions – but you had to finish the game first.

the question is "would Nintendo have to balls to attempt such a thing". The answer is by now obviously: no. They want to be cheap.
Or you could just as easily say that they don't want to make an unnecessarily risky investment.  But Nintendo can't possibly do anything right; that's why they need the legions of the Internet to point things out.  But we've had this conversation before.