News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Crimson Echoes Interview  (Read 5676 times)

laputanmachine

• View Profile
Chrono Trigger Crimson Echoes Interview
« on: September 03, 2016, 12:15:08 am »
So there's an interesting interview regarding CT:CE and this part in particular stuck out for me:

If there's anything else, I would just caution anyone from buying Crimson Echoes in any form, especially on a physical cartridge. Crimson Echoes and Prophet's Guile both used a hack to expand the ROM's memory to allow the addition of new content (from 4 MB to 6 MB). This unfortunately breaks the game at one point or another on a real console. It also creates issues in some emulators, as a request to load a map would just lead to a black screen at some point. (Famously, we ran into this problem with the Chrono Trigger Retranslation patch by KWhazit; if you climb the ladder on the Blackbird to reach the wing, the game goes to a black screen.) There is no conceivable way that these physical cartridges are playable. Someone even tried to flash a hardcopy Prophet's Guile cartridge and play it, and found that things were even more broken on a real SNES, including audio glitches. So please, don't buy a real cartridge; you're just giving money to a scammer and receiving a broken product.

So I guess that's yet another reason to avoid 3rd-party repro karts.  :)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger Crimson Echoes Interview
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 11:07:07 pm »
I've mentioned this before on here, but FoE and CE are ZSNES-only thing in spite of what even the creators of FoE will try and peddle with it.  It appears to use music in a similar way to extremely old SMW hacks.

Yeah, I said peddle.  That alone is a worse thing than anything in that quote, making money off of it.  I'm surprised the FoE project hasn't gotten a (second when speaking of history) C&D from Square-Enix.  Maybe it's because it tended to be hated upon first announcement, meaning no need to step in due to popularity.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 05:42:00 pm by Chronosplit »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 04:25:40 pm »
As for their function on real hardware, I've played what I believe to be the most current versions (as of about two years ago, when I played through all of them) of CE, FoE and Prophet's Guile all on a real SNES via my SNES Powerpak. Crimson Echoes and Prophet's Guile are terribly broken on real hardware because they will freeze/crash in numerous places with no way to progress unless you want to load your save into an emu and play past the broken portion. Good luck doing that with a repro cart. I did manage to finish Flames of Eternity on my SNES though. I don't recall if there was anything impassible or not. IIRC the music was screwed up on all three hacks. It sounds like some of the songs that were altered sometimes loaded SFX instead of instrument samples.

As soon as I find my collection of ROMs that includes these I'll give it another shot. I remember enjoying Prophet's Guile. Nothing spectacular, but worth playing at least once for a CT fan. It's been too long for me to remember much of the details but I thought I remembered liking Crimson Echoes more than Flames of Eternity. Both were good enough for me to play to completion, but had I not been a CT fanatic I'm not sure I would have cared to go that far. I don't recall anything too special about the gameplay (unlike PG) and the story was a bit ridiculous and "all over the place" at times.

Oh and a speaking Crono is blasphemy.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 05:05:05 pm »
Oh and a speaking Crono is blasphemy

How about if he had a stereotyped Italian accent?

"I'mma gonna get-a some pasta from-a da fair!:D
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 05:42:56 pm »
Is Flames of Eternity more than just a "fixed" version of Crimson Echoes now?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 05:53:42 pm »
Is Flames of Eternity more than just a "fixed" version of Crimson Echoes now?

No, it is not simply a "fixed" version. I remember some graphics being different, some dialogue was different. I'm not sure what else though. It's been at least two years and I only played through each once (I have played through the original CT at least 20-30 times or more since it came out) I'm currently searching through my backup discs looking for these ROMs. I'll have a better idea of the details once I get a chance to play them again.

EDIT: I just found the disc I was looking for. It contained a folder full of ROMs someone had sent me about a year ago when this subject came up. The Crimson Echoes/Flmaes of Eternity ROMs I have are labeled as follows:

Code: [Select]
Chrono Trigger - Crimson Echoes Alpha Demo 1
Chrono Trigger - Crimson Echoes Alpha Demo 2
Chrono Trigger - Crimson Echoes Alpha Demo 3 2008-05-29
Chrono Trigger - Crimson Echoes Beta 2009-02-16
Chrono Trigger - Crimson Echoes Beta2 (Epoch Debug)
Chrono Trigger - Crimson Echoes Demo v1.5 PreRelease
Chrono Trigger - Crimson Echoes Full Release
Chrono Trigger - Flames of Eternity RC7d

How any of these relate to the versions floating around out there, to the versions I "sort of" played on my Powerpak or how they perform on a real SNES, I do not know. I'll look into this over the next day or two.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 06:31:51 pm by SunGodPortal »
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 08:46:41 am »
Was there a actual ending to Crimson Echoes? I never bothered to check that out.

Tivo6

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 02:58:37 pm »
hey

is this game still allowed to streamed on twitch

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 04:31:18 pm »
hey

is this game still allowed to streamed on twitch
Games are allowed to be streamed anywhere?  Since when?  Media in general being explicitly allowed to be streamed is a very rare occurrence, only pertaining to some indie games and some YouTube rule that I think might be dead.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 12:07:50 pm by Chronosplit »