News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: The BIG list of randomizers!!  (Read 64964 times)

XModxGodX

• View Profile
Re: The BIG list of randomizers!! - Updated 2017-10-15
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2017, 01:28:04 pm »
Found a different one for the N64 Paper Mario though it's apparently unstable so don't be surprised if randomizers crash Paper Mario: https://github.com/MrCheeze/paper-mario-randomizer

SmashManiac

• View Profile
Re: The BIG list of randomizers!! - Updated 2017-10-24
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2017, 12:42:45 am »
Added randomizers:
- Paper Mario (the new one from the previous post)
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (relics)

Note: As of this writing, the Symphony of the Night one is still unfinished.

EntroperZero

• View Profile
Re: The BIG list of randomizers!! - Updated 2017-10-24
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2017, 07:27:38 pm »
Just letting you know of an update to Final Fantasy Randomizer:

There is now a web version!  You check the boxes you want, upload a ROM to the site, it randomizes it and sends it back to you.  It's at http://finalfantasyrandomizer.com, which also has links to the community Discord server and a tournament that's in progress.

The Github repo is still live and maintained, and the Windows version can still be downloaded from there (and is kept up to date with the web version).

SmashManiac

• View Profile
Re: The BIG list of randomizers!! - Updated 2017-11-18
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2017, 12:15:29 am »
New randomizers:
- Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
- Doom II (silly enemies and weapons)

Other major changes:
- Added roguelike tag to an existing Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door randomizer following new feature.
- Fixed Super Metroid randomizers incorrectly marked as deprecated and added them back on the abridged list.
- Clarified that the A Link to the Past enemies randomizer is an add-on to the items randomizer.
- Replaced Endless Mode tag to roguelike for people not familiar with Mega Man 9/10 DLC.
- Updated link to Final Fantasy (NES) and Kirby's Adventure randomizers.

XModxGodX

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2017, 11:54:49 am »
Probably not necessary to say it but new Metroid Zero Mission Randomizer: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1371/ Also it may not be called a randomizer per say but this Super Metroid Arcade mod basically turns the game into a rougelike: http://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=357

fridaywitch

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2017, 02:02:10 pm »
Figured I'd add this since I just started learning how to code like, 4 days ago and I started romhacking Tetris about a month ago.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19NklVLPD1cF2cygbJSIgyvGfKUl7eCVg?usp=sharing

NES Tetris randomizer!

https://i.imgur.com/84u7guc.png -- Here's a pic of what it looks like!  Figured I'd share!

If you're not sure what a feature does, there are tooltips.  So, just mouseover an option and it'll explain it for you.

SmashManiac

• View Profile
Re: The BIG list of randomizers!! - Updated 2017-12-31
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2017, 02:08:03 am »
I was indeed aware of the two new Metroid randomizers, but thanks for sharing them anyway! Better be safe than sorry!

And here I thought Tetris was already random enough! :laugh: Thanks for sharing!

New randomizers:
- America's Army (times 2!)
- Dark Souls II (items)
- Fallout: New Vegas
- Fallout 4 (tines 2!)
- Metroid: Zero Mission
- State of Decay
- Super Metroid (roguelike)
- Tetris (NES)
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

Other changes:
- Added La-Mulana randomizer item tracker
- Updated Skyrim randomizer URL
- Standardized game name series prefix

More randomizers incoming soon! Found a bunch more, but didn't had the time to add them all yet.

Aquova

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2017, 06:12:45 pm »
I finished a big update to my Kirby's Adventure Randomizer today:

https://github.com/Aquova/KA-Rando/releases

In the new version you can randomize the level order, in addition to randomizing the abilities given by enemies and changing Kirby's color.

I also added the ability to completely randomize Kirby's color palette, which has some... interesting effects.

apple1417

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2018, 04:49:19 pm »

SmashManiac

• View Profile
Re: The BIG list of randomizers!! - Updated 2018-01-21
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2018, 01:36:56 am »
Alright, well even the abridged list is now too long to fit in a single RHDN post despite its minimalist design (last iteration was 14746 characters out of 15000). I might be able to tweak it, but I'm going to have the same problem in an iteration or two anyway. Besides, it was starting to be a pain to continuously update 2 similar lists but with with some elements missing between them, and written in different markup languages (BBCodes vs Markdown).

For these reasons, I decided to remove the abridged list from RHDN. From now on, the BIG list of randomizers will be available exclusively on my blog at https://www.debigare.com/randomizers/

This was not an easy choice, but I believe it is the best thing to do for its continued development. I never expected my list to grow to its current scale nor become a common reference, and it's all thanks to you! I will continue to follow this thread and keep you updated of any changes, just like before.

Note that I'll keep the old list in strikethrough on the original post for a while during the transition period just in case.

New randomizers:
- Dark Souls III (items)
- Final Fantasy V (passive - forgot to add the unofficial Four Job Fiesta to the list because the official one only runs a few days a year (which makes me sad))
- Game Dev Tycoon (appears broken with the latest version but wanted to list it anyway in case it gets fixed eventually)
- Hollow Knight (abilities & charms)
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (x3: alternate start, Words of Power shuffling, and a deprecated one that generates random dungeons)
- The Talos Principle (thanks a lot for sharing apple1417!)
- XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Other changes:
- Added additional restrictions on was acceptable or not on the main list.
- Removed the "Unfinished" tag to the Symphony of the Night relic randomizer because I was incorrectly assuming text uploaded to Pastebin couldn't be updated.
- Answered the following fundamental question: "How the fuck do you randomize Tetris?" (actual quote from Twitch streamer Vinesauce)
- Added DELUXE variant of the multi-game bingo

Expect another big wave of new randomizers soon - I'm still not finished from last time!

By the way, I discovered that gyre_ is currently working on a Final Fantasy randomizer bingo, but it has not been made public yet.

--

EDIT:

I'm finally done processing my backlog! Here's even more new randomizers:
- Blade of Darkness (multiplayer weapons)
- Gang Garrison 2 (fangame)
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (corruptor)
- Gratuitous Space Battles
- Homeworld 2
- Scourge of War: Gettysburg
- Star Wars: Republic Commando (corruptor)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:01:11 am by SmashManiac »

Celice

• View Profile
Re: The BIG list of randomizers!! - Updated 2018-01-22
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2018, 09:36:09 pm »
Thanks for maintaining this list and keeping us updated. I've shared it and used it a bunch of times since you started in 2016.

Will you at least keep us updated each time you add new randomizers to the list?

SmashManiac

• View Profile
Re: The BIG list of randomizers!! - Updated 2018-01-22
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2018, 12:52:23 am »
Thanks a lot for the kind words Celice! And yes, I will keep everyone updated by posting about new randomizers. I will also continue to check this thread for submissions and suggestions just like before. The support from the RHDN community has been amazing, and I would need a very good reason to stop making this thread my primary update notification channel, but if I ever do I will try to make it as smooth of a transition as possible for everyone. :thumbsup:

SmashManiac

• View Profile
Re: The BIG list of randomizers!! - Updated 2018-02-03
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2018, 06:03:08 pm »
New randomizer:
- Final Fantasy IV (randomized open world)

Other changes:
- Added missing description for one of the Final Fantasy V randomizers to avoid confusion
- More stuff for the popular The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past randomizer: new Triforce Piece Hunt sprite customer and updated helpful resources link
- Renamed "Telefang Power" to the its full name "Keitai Denjuu Telefang: Power Version"
- Reordered games, including new categories: "Rare (company)" (the Donkey Kong games are now in it), "Rockstar Games (company)" and "Star Wars"
- Updated link to the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night randomizer to the latest version

SmashManiac

• View Profile
Re: The BIG list of randomizers!! - Updated 2018-02-18
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2018, 04:23:18 pm »
Added:
- Golf (NES)
- Kirby Super Star

Other changes:
- Fixed link to The Simpsons: Hit & Run bingo
- Moved both Kirby games in a new Kirby section
- Updated link to Symphony of the Night's relic randomizer to the new official GitHub repository instead of Pastebin.com
- Created full changelog page on my blog

SmashManiac

• View Profile
Re: The BIG list of randomizers!!
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2018, 10:17:34 pm »
Added randomizers:
- Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
- Super Mario Bros. 2

Other changes:
- Multiple games for the same randomizer are now separated by slashes instead of ampersands.
- Further standardized game names.
- Updated link to the non-passive Super Mario World randomizer to use HTTPS.
- Fixed Hollow Knight non-special randomizer broken on multiple lines.
- Added missing descriptions to randomizers where an additional randomizer for the same game was also present.
- Added note that the list excludes randomizers already within original games and ports unless an external tool exists.
- Added note that the Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door item shuffler now also randomizes enemy loadouts in the Pit of 100 Trials.

EDIT: Just added Resident Evil HD Remaster to the list!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 08:24:28 pm by SmashManiac »

Hex4F

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2018, 05:55:21 pm »
Would it be alright to add https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25918.0 to the list? There's already a Metroid 1 randomizer on there but it's for items and elevators. I made one that procedurally generates an entirely new map layout.

matt!

• JUS4QIX
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2018, 11:44:33 am »
Not sure if this qualifies, but on the T&E Golf games - at least on Mega Drive/Genesis. You can choose the main menu Quit option and it will reset the randomiser so you get different weather and wind effects. These random elements are not included in any save games.

https://youtu.be/qVUo1dVTSTM?t=50s

SmashManiac

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2018, 09:53:15 pm »
Sorry matt!, but this definitively does not quality. You can read what is excluded at the top of the list; if it's unclear let me know. Besides, if I was to add every game with RNG elements in them, I'd never be done!

Would it be alright to add https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25918.0 to the list? There's already a Metroid 1 randomizer on there but it's for items and elevators. I made one that procedurally generates an entirely new map layout.

Wow, I'll definitively add it for the next update! Thank you very much for sharing Hex4F and keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

March 18, 2018, 04:29:58 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
### Added randomizers

- Metroid (map)
- Hollow Knight (enemies)
- Rabi-Ribi (passive bingo)

### Other changes

- Split the list so that special randomizers are not mixed with standard ones.
- Changed the style for better readability on smaller windows.
- Removed the helpful resources link for the A Link to the Past item randomizer as it's now included on its website.
- Removed the Triforce Hunt sprite randomizer link for the A Link to the Past item randomizer as it violated the "cosmetic-only" rule for inclusion.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 04:29:58 pm by SmashManiac »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2018, 08:34:35 pm »
Thanks for your work. Could you add a short description under each category subtitle?
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

SmashManiac

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2018, 12:38:17 am »
Yeah, about that... the short description is currently at the top of the list... but...

Here's the thing - there was a debate recently on the Randomizer Central Discord channel with people not wanting the other stuff was on the list beyond the main category. I split the list to solve the issue, but there were still a few valid objections.

First, the bingos. I don't use them so I can't really comment on the matter, but some people argued that they should not be present because they don't FEEL random. To paraphrase, while the list of objectives is partially random, they're really just a set of restrictions over the normal game, and the player still has to go through usual motions once past figuring out the optimal route, which by itself is more of a puzzle to crack more than anything else.

A similar argument could be done for restrictions. The game isn't modified in any way, so even if I'm assigned random jobs in Final Fantasy V or specific weapons to kill targets in Hitman, they don't feel more random for it, just more challenging. Another point to consider is that those particular randomization are usually trivial to do manually if you don't want to set a non-random challenge.

And then we have corruptors, which as funny as they can be under the right circumstances, are more about creating a chaotic experience rather than expanding over the original gameplay. In that sense, they fall more into the category of mods and hacks that just adds random stuff over the original game, and I already banned such hacks and mods from being into the list because they're not randomizers.

Other things to consider:
- Having multiple categories on the same page confuse people.
- I received multiple reports that my list of bingo boards is currently incomplete.
- Data that I have gathered so far suggests that only a small fraction of visitors care about those other categories.
- My list was never really supposed to cover these types of tools in the first place. I just started adding them because I couldn't think of a good reason not to do so at the time, even though I didn't really care much for them personally myself.

For those reasons, I'm currently considering getting rid of these other categories altogether. I haven't made a final decision, so if anyone cares about them, now would be the time to let me know.