News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: TileShop - Flexible Graphics Editor (Very early progress)  (Read 6592 times)

Klarth

• View Profile
Re: TileShop - Flexible Graphics Editor (Very early progress)
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 05:45:26 pm »
Could there be a feature that allows for editing the CLUTs on the fly, too?
They're already editable. See the other image for how FF4's palette is editable. (This is loaded/saved directly from the game.)

Eventually, TIMs with multiple palettes will be editable without much of a hassle, but I still need to design a plugin system for external file loaders. I want to implement TIM loading through this plugin system so that the plugin system is actually usable. This is the same reason why I have all graphics formats implemented through the XML graphics codec system.

Otherwise, if this thing has the feature of actually saving tile arrangements, then this is a godsend and makes sprite editing much less time consuming.
Saving tile arrangements and palettes in a project-oriented fashion is the core feature of the program, moreso than the XML graphics codec design. The support for making arrangers based on linear graphics is currently limited due to my current codebase. I still have a lot of work in this area to make it function like a user would expect.

Klarth

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2017, 01:34:44 am »
Been awhile since an update. Unfortunately I haven't been able to work on this in any meaningful way in about a month. Just some minor code cleaning. Before that though, I did implement a plugin system sufficient enough for external file loaders. The Managed Extensibility Framework (MEF) really worked wonders and I recommend it to anybody thinking about implementing a plugin system for .NET. I made a TIM loader/searcher as a proof of concept.

I'm currently stuck on a design decision regarding how tiled and linear graphics should interact with palettes from a UI and XML standpoint. In particular, tiled graphics are currently 1:1 with palettes but linear graphics (such as TIMs) can have several palettes. I'll resume work once I have an elegant (or at least clean) solution and free time.

thepatrickinator

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2017, 08:54:42 pm »
Nice! Fedorajoe can use this to fix Golbez's battle sprites as a playable character. It's been a pain to do in the past, but this program can make sprite editing easier. For example, Golbez's SNES use magic pose can be a mashup of Golbez's normal pose with Cecil's victory pose but edited to convert the PSP/Wii/Mobile phone of Golbez's use magic pose into SNES.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2017, 02:47:34 pm »
Will this utility be open source?

Klarth

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2017, 03:51:51 pm »
Will this utility be open source?
The project has a "public" github repository which I will give the address to once the initial version is out. The XML codecs are open source by nature and any file loader plugins I make will also be open source. I haven't shown the github yet because I'm wary of ambitious early adopters using the tile-based features (which are in almost a release ready state) before I finish the linear features. Changes to the project XML format may invalidate their projects. I want to maintain design freedom without worrying about a version schism like Python 2/3. For post-release XML changes, XSLT should be sufficient to automatically update old XML versions.

thepatrickinator

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 08:48:13 am »
The reason why TileShop is called Flexible Graphics Editor is because it is easier for people to edit sprites and make romhacks out of them then other sprite editing programs. For example, making 16-bit Touhou hacks by replacing characters with ones from TouHou.

July 08, 2017, 12:02:29 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I've seen other graphics editor programs and I believe that TileShop will be the most useful. As a matter of fact, they can finish Mega Man Z with the correct Zero sprites.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 12:02:29 am by thepatrickinator »