News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Anyone here looked at the data inside Xenogears?  (Read 1726 times)

Kallisto

• View Profile
Anyone here looked at the data inside Xenogears?
« on: August 21, 2016, 01:32:32 am »
I was reading there was a lot of extra stuff, and cut-out content that we never saw, but however there is not much to see on the net about it.

Tcrf has some of the misc. stuff down, but it's the extra areas that had me most interested. There was a site dedicated to Xenogears uncut, but those forums died a long time ago.

On another note has anything else been found recently in the Xenosaga games besides what we already know?

SageOwl

• View Profile
Re: Anyone here looked at the data inside Xenogears?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 09:50:01 am »
I'd love to see work being done for Xenogears. I'd imagine there to be a lot lying dormant in the code that we have yet to see, and hopefully can be restored if it's functional.
I mean with a game that 80% of it's second disc content is just two actors telling the audience what would have been interactive plot there has to be something that hasn't been found yet.

I believe this is the site you are referring to :http://www.xgam.org/xenogears/uncut/. I just read the whole thing and it seems to just scratch the surface on what there could be. This is also a huge write up on the history of Xenogears in case anyone wants to use it as a reference or a leading point http://betweenlifeandgames.com/analyses/history-xenogears-xenosaga-part-1-xenogears/ (I've yet to read all of it as it's about as long as a quarter of the game it's examining).

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 12:10:00 pm »
Xenogears 2.0 exists but it really doesn't do much for that sort of project outside of undubbing the cutscenes and restoring button combinations.  It may or may not make a good foundation to start with if you ask though, unless a retranslation of the JP version comes with the restoration.

I'm sure that considering how much was left out, Xenogears has stuff in about the same state as notable unfinished PC RPGs (Troika's stuff anyone?) where all but the finishing touches are there for a lot of stuff, just dummied out.  Have there been any attempts across the ocean?  There's been multiple attempts in Japan to bring SaGa Frontier's missing content somewhere in any rate, so it's not unheard of (though the SaGa games have a pretty big hacker following, just look at RS3).

But the thing is, taking into account all that was planned for Xenogears... is it really worth?  Even if we restored all that was intended in the game, I think it would be still be a cliffhanger in a way.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 12:56:00 pm by Chronosplit »

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 08:45:00 pm »
I think only diehard fans would probably do something with the 2nd disc and restore of what could have been, that would be quite the accomplishment.

If anything is on the 2nd disc that it would be areas that couldn't make the cut, and there is probably some unused scenes laying around somewhere. There is also the case about the dungeons that apparently it looked like it was mean to be longer.