News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: .sfc files won't load--any of them--AT ALL?  (Read 5986 times)

shekelmyrrh

• View Profile
.sfc files won't load--any of them--AT ALL?
« on: August 15, 2016, 01:21:39 am »
Having a hard time finding out exactly what system .sfc is supposed to translate to. Apparently everybody knows, so there's nowhere you can find out.  ;) But it shouldn't matter, because I've tried them with Nestopia, FCEUX, Bsnes AND SNES9x (I THINK they're Super Famicom and/or SNES roms. I know they're old.) I know the problem's not the .sfc files themselves, because I've tried a bunch of different ones (and also tried without unzipping them). I know it's not the emulators (unless I'm still somehow not using the right one). The .sfc files will not show up in the open/browse option, and if I try to open them with a specific emulator, it says 'error loading rom' or some variation.  :banghead: WHAT IS HAPPENING?

Edit: Oh, and I'm using windows 7 64 bit, if that makes a difference.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: .sfc files won't load--any of them--AT ALL?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 01:25:15 am »
SFC is indeed Super Nintendo (or rather "Super Famicom, which was the japanese version of the SNES)

They should run fine in any and all SNES emulators.  If they don't show up in the open/browse window, try changing the extension to smc.  Though, really, 'sfc' is relatively common and your emu should recognize it by extension.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 01:48:26 am »
EDIT: nevermind. misread.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 12:11:03 pm »
BSNES/Higan should DEFINITELY read them (although it might have an "Import Game" option or something you have to go through first) as byuu has been pushing for a single format (SFC, no header, additionally in his "Game Folder" format, which is what the Import option is for).
But yes, SNES9x should read SFC files as well just fine.
Don't know why you'd try an SNES game in an NES emulator, though (Nestopia and FCEUX). :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 01:07:17 pm »
There are emulators that do NES and SNES, but I don't know what they are. I always use system specific emulators.

shekelmyrrh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 02:57:56 pm »
Well, like I said, couldn't find out for certain what system they were for. I did finally get a couple of them to work in SNES9X (after getting DirectX updated, a Herculean task in itself thanks to Windows Update and the Microsoft website being utterly broken) but no, they don't work or even show up for BSNES.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 09:39:10 pm »
Surely you have some idea of what you downloaded?  You weren't just looking at randomly-named .sfc files, were you?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

shekelmyrrh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 12:23:46 am »
The ones I finally got to work were both Fire Emblem games, Monshou no Nazo and Seisen no Keifu.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 01:50:00 am »
Well, the more interesting question would be what you didn't get to work.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

shekelmyrrh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 03:58:42 pm »
There's quite a few, but like I said, it's not the files. I must just have some configuration that's screwy. Tried all the files with the same emulators (BSNES, SNES9X) on a different computer and they were all fine.

hanhnn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 07:15:10 pm »
.sfc is SNES rom, you can use Snes9x, zsnes to run it.
Snes9x requires some DirectX install to run on windows 7, it might be your problem.
Try Zsnes.

Axiphel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 07:31:22 pm »
'Try zsnes'  :laugh: This isn't 2007.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 08:30:54 pm »
.sfc is SNES rom, you can use Snes9x, zsnes to run it.
Snes9x requires some DirectX install to run on windows 7, it might be your problem.
Try Zsnes.
If they don't have DirectX on Windows, there's a whole other lot of questions to be asked at this point other than "why."  Like what else isn't installed?

'Try zsnes'  :laugh: This isn't 2007.
No way, this is the modern age.  Get Nesticle!

But seriously uh... I guess at this point ZSNES is the odd one out?  This might be something to ask the SNES9x forum if you do have DirectX installed (that's probably a 90% probability of yes) and it's not corrupted, I can't for the life of me see any problem that could cause that... I mean shoot, SNES9x could work on toasters with the right OS attached.  I'd venture to say there's something else going on wrong with your machine though.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 08:40:13 pm by Chronosplit »

hanhnn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 08:06:37 pm »
Zsnes is so obsolete now, but it might be the only emulator works in this situation.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 10:22:38 pm »
I was able to run the latest stable SNES9x on an XP machine with a Pentium IV just fine, so not really sure if that's the right reasoning for it.  But if ZSNES works and the others don't, it's a way of knowing there's something really wrong here.