News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Megaman Star Force font hack, possibility?  (Read 2479 times)

bradzx

• View Profile
Megaman Star Force font hack, possibility?
« on: August 11, 2016, 12:30:28 pm »
I remember I played first part of MMSF series and I notice font look little bit bad.  I just wonder if it possible take font from MMSF3 and import to MMSF1 and MMSF2.
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Megaman Star Force font hack, possibility?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 04:27:59 pm »
I have not looked at the games myself, at least not from this perspective, but given the amount of code recycling they tend to involve I would be surprised if you can't just copy and paste the newer font format over the older one. If you can operate anything that handles DS ROMs (ndstool, dslazy/dsbuff, tinke, crystaltile2...) you can give it a try.

It might be that you need to actually hack things in the end but definitely worth trying this as a first pass.

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 10:38:07 pm »
I have not looked at the games myself, at least not from this perspective, but given the amount of code recycling they tend to involve I would be surprised if you can't just copy and paste the newer font format over the older one. If you can operate anything that handles DS ROMs (ndstool, dslazy/dsbuff, tinke, crystaltile2...) you can give it a try.

It might be that you need to actually hack things in the end but definitely worth trying this as a first pass.
Well I never use any kind of these tools you mention.   I am not sure if I know how to use it.
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 06:31:48 am »

From what I know, it might be not that simple.
First game suffers from Terranigma syndrome: small english font with JP kerning and lots of spaces.
The European version has this too plus an even uglier font replacement.

Fixing the kerning definitively isn't simple and will require assembly hacking.
Modifying the extra-large full width font with another one that's slightly less of an eyesore is definitively achievable with Crystaltile as long as you can put up with the kerning.

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 12:24:46 pm »
From what I know, it might be not that simple.
First game suffers from Terranigma syndrome: small english font with JP kerning and lots of spaces.
The European version has this too plus an even uglier font replacement.
If it is not that simple, then what should I do first?