News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: What is the most common Japanese Language form that JPN games use?  (Read 1842 times)

Kallisto

• View Profile
My understanding there is a few forms of Japanese that represent different things. I might try to learn some basic things if I can.

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
Re: What is the most common Japanese Language form that JPN games use?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 05:03:10 pm »
You talking about dialects or that odd formality thing that the language has? In any case, all are used in games, and the formality thing isn't that bad.

If you are talking about dialects then standard is the one most used. (if my definition of dialects is correct)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 05:06:50 pm »
Do you mean the characters that are used in the game? I'm by no means an expert, but I thiiiiink...

I mean, it's Romaiji (The English Alphabet used to spell proper names in the credits, usually), Katakana (for native words), Hiragana (for loanwords from other languages), and Kanji (the 3000 character alphabet, which I guess are a form of iconography, or not...?)

So, there are four separate alphabets that might appear in a Japanese game, so far as I know...but maybe you were talking about different dialects/voices, of which I'm sure all appear depending on the amount of text and different characters in a game, particularly RPGs with diverse populations.
Yamero~~!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 05:24:30 pm »
Assuming you do not mean things like Ainu languages then you might want to clarify what you have heard. There are a variety of ways people categorise Japanese, and I will skip over the rudiments like kana vs kanji and as a start

In general you are likely to see contemporary modern Japanese using characters largely from the joyo lists, unless you are going for games aimed at younger people (so in games most will meet it when translating a shonen manga based game) in which case you might be restricted to a lesser list. Said lists get revised often enough and not every writer is going to keep up so don't stick religiously to the current one. In a lot of older games and no small number of new ones, presumably for reasons of space, a lot of the formality, even by modern standards, is dropped, probably not to the extent that speaking Japanese as you find it in games would be like turning up to a monocle sporting English country mansion gathering and speaking in gangster rap but you would probably not be confused for a native speaker.
There might be older kanji similar to how people use something from lists of interesting words in things to spice things up a bit*, and sometimes you might find a character speaks in a very old fashioned tone for comedic effect or because they want some effect (some find the Japanese taught in some American schools to be closer to this than not at times which I am told is endlessly amusing to some, and having some people learn English from Victorian novels and encounter something like it I can safely say it is). At the same time you might encounter slang so some would probably point you at http://dic.nicovideo.jp/ and http://zokugo-dict.com/ I think it was, both of which are kind of the Japanese equivalents of urban dictionary.

*writing systems also apply here so you might see things like tensho script which looks quite different to other font styles used in Japanese.

I don't know whether to point you at JLPT resources. JLPT stands for Japanese Language Proficiency Test and is fairly well liked by Japanese businesses and definitely universities as a means of gauging how well you understand Japanese. At the same time it is also somewhat artificial and test like, as most such things are for any language, so I definitely would not encourage doing that to the exclusion of more conventional/native style learning.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 09:44:27 pm »
Do you mean the characters that are used in the game? I'm by no means an expert, but I thiiiiink...

I mean, it's Romaiji (The English Alphabet used to spell proper names in the credits, usually), Katakana (for native words), Hiragana (for loanwords from other languages), and Kanji (the 3000 character alphabet, which I guess are a form of iconography, or not...?)

So, there are four separate alphabets that might appear in a Japanese game, so far as I know...but maybe you were talking about different dialects/voices, of which I'm sure all appear depending on the amount of text and different characters in a game, particularly RPGs with diverse populations.

Basically this, so I would be encountering all four separate alphabets in any given JPN game.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 11:40:13 pm »
and furigana in modern and many older PC games. Ostensibly they are pronunciation keys for kanji (so if you know the word but not how it is written) but they can include lots of little extras.

You are not always going to encounter romaji but it is nothing worth making an excited post on the boards for. Equally as mentioned the lists of kanji are split in various ways so not all games will use all entries on the list.  As a crude metric it can be said the more kanji you know the better you are at Japanese.

Anyway if you are asking this sort of question it is probably better to just tell you to learn contemporary Japanese. There are things you can do to prep to go into legal or technical or medical fields, or read historical scripts but there is not much worth doing like this if you are mainly looking to play games (and presumably watch videos and maybe read some books or comics or something).