does anybody know how zelda 2 arm and sword pieces worked?

Started by ShadowBlitz16, August 08, 2016, 04:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowBlitz16

does anybody know how zelda 2 arm and sword pieces worked?
like link's and certain enemies attacks?

it looks like nintendo used 16x16 sprite pieces for collision and just moved them around to simulate slashing and stabbing
or are the sprites 32x32?

you think it would make more sense to do the sprite pieces since they would take up less tile data
if so can someone rip the arm/weapon pieces for me?
I can't find anything without them being rendered behind the enemy or player or are aligned to the 16x16 grid

dougeff

The NES has 2 sprite modes. 8x8 and 8x16. Zelda 2 uses the 8x16 mode. You can probably find a sprite sheet somewhere on the internet.

Sprites can be layered on top of each other, each one can shift any number of pixels in every direction.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

ShadowBlitz16

Quote from: dougeff on August 09, 2016, 11:39:58 AM
The NES has 2 sprite modes. 8x8 and 8x16. Zelda 2 uses the 8x16 mode. You can probably find a sprite sheet somewhere on the internet.

Sprites can be layered on top of each other, each one can shift any number of pixels in every direction.

I have looked but the sprite sheets do not contain the arm/sword pieces
they seems to like to put them together like they appear ingame

Disch

Quote from: ShadowBlitz16 on August 11, 2016, 04:06:55 PM
I have looked but the sprite sheets do not contain the arm/sword pieces

???

This was the first hit on google for 'Zelda 2 sprite sheet'



Seems to have sword/arm to me.  Maybe I misunderstand what you're looking for?

DarkSamus993

Quote from: ShadowBlitz16 on August 11, 2016, 04:06:55 PM
I have looked but the sprite sheets do not contain the arm/sword pieces
they seems to like to put them together like they appear ingame

The arm/sword pieces are NOT separate pieces. Tile viewers (YY-CHR, Tile Molester, etc.) make that quite obvious:

ShadowBlitz16

Quote from: DarkSamus993 on August 14, 2016, 08:55:09 AM
The arm/sword pieces are NOT separate pieces. Tile viewers (YY-CHR, Tile Molester, etc.) make that quite obvious:


hmm what about for enemies like ironknuckles, dreadhawks, ect?

DarkSamus993

The same applies to enemies as well. There was one I saw (iron knuckle I think it was) that had separate arm pieces, but that's just to save tile space and so they could animated his arm easier.

ShadowBlitz16

Quote from: DarkSamus993 on August 18, 2016, 04:42:12 PM
The same applies to enemies as well. There was one I saw (iron knuckle I think it was) that had separate arm pieces, but that's just to save tile space and so they could animated his arm easier.

hmm you think dreadhawk would have separate arm pieces since without them he takes up the most room in tiles