News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Metroid 2 remake released.  (Read 11062 times)

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid 2 remake released.
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2016, 03:39:11 pm »
Dammit, I knew I should've downloaded it before it was taken down. >:(

Fan can't help it if his remake was better than big N's last what, 2-4 Metroid games (including that Metroid/LEGO Bionicle buttbaby in the works?).

:banghead:
imo it plays and feels better than zero mission but worse than super metroid.
_-|-_

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2016, 04:15:56 pm »
The making of Chrono Trigger is a good example; Square and Enix don't seem to have wasted much time, they just called each other one day and said "what would happen if we got our teams together for a game making party?"
Weren't there 2 or 3 years of pre-production agreements before the development of the game started, though?

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2016, 04:35:31 pm »
Weren't there 2 or 3 years of pre-production agreements before the development of the game started, though?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono_Trigger#Development

Hey, this is really freaking interesting! Hm...

Seems it was first conceived in 1992 when Sakaguchi, Yuji Horii and Akira Toriyama were all on a bro trip studying computer graphics. :D
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2016, 01:50:17 pm »
But we are already releasing a Metroid game! I dont get what our audience wants!

It is a general belief that Nintendo cares way more about the japanese market over the international one, with only looking at the international market if a brand is popular on both sides. And it seems Metroid isnt that popular over Japan.
Communication failure happens when you're such a big company, even when you're a smaller one than Nintendo.  You notice this in interviews every now and then.  For example, when talking about Pokemon Game Freak at least used to be habitual liars; in one not long before X/Y's unveiling of full 3D they said they wouldn't ever abandon the sprites.

MisterJones

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2016, 05:22:19 pm »
im not sure what does that have to do with anything i siad. can you clarify?
_-|-_

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2016, 05:47:23 pm »
Gotta love fans. If a company doesn't upgrade their graphics to 3d, fans complain that the company is old, outdated, and the games are unattractive. If they do upgrade to 3d, the fans call the company a liar. =D

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2016, 07:01:00 pm »
Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:09:50 pm by FCandChill »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2016, 07:19:59 pm »
Gotta love fans. If a company doesn't upgrade their graphics to 3d, fans complain that the company is old, outdated, and the games are unattractive. If they do upgrade to 3d, the fans call the company a liar. =D

"I don't like change"

Wonder if it is the same foundation of logic as that which leads to the "flip flopping" thing some seem to dislike in politicos.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2016, 10:26:33 pm »
im not sure what does that have to do with anything i siad. can you clarify?
The belief that certain big companies in Japan care more for their "home" fanbase than overseas is usually more like a general breakdown in communication.  They have people observing and it's evident in parts, but somehow or another the information doesn't make it's way to the higher-ups all the time.  Square-Enix is another example of this, maybe one that's even more evident depending on how you look at it.

A quote would be nice.
I only remember what I read by now, not specific enough to make up a quote.  It's kinda old-ish in Internet time but I'll try to track it down.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 10:36:09 pm by Chronosplit »

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2016, 01:54:22 am »
http://am2r.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1557

Better than a boycott...

The idea here is to send a message to Nintendo. Buy a Metroid Game besides Federation Force in some way, shape or form that will show up on Nintendo's radar, on the day that Federation Force comes out. Preferably the EShop, you'd think, for the quickest delivery of the kind of message they want to send.

If Nintendo sees that people are upset enough about the perceived lack of attention the Metroid Series gets, it would be interesting to see the result. I don't recall if this is even a thing that has ever been tried before. What do you call a community activity like this?

The Great Metroid Flash Mob of 2016? :D
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2016, 02:42:21 am »
I tend to view most such activism type things as silly and ineffective, and in cases like this it just means profit for the company so they don't care. Granted there are no so many ways to show by not buying, and most of those are more retail focused (a company gets 2000 requests, and 2000 might be high as we are probably operating on FCC complaints logic where 1 complaint = 1000 comical fainting sessions at the rudeness of the thing being complained about, for a product they would theoretically stock across a few stores over a week/weekend -- wander up to the service desk with a barcode number or other identifying number and watch it get stocked in fairly short order).

Anyway
http://gizmodo.com/253131/format-war-soldiers-syncd-hd-dvd-purchase-by-fanboys-spike-amazon-rank-blu-rayers-set-to-retaliate

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8423340.stm (amusingly it turned out the contracts were both owned by the same company).

I recall some game ones in the past where "buy ? instead" happened but can't remember specifics. Never really seen a game related one I did not find silly though -- left4dead sequel too soon was wonderfully dissed by valve when they showed how many signed the petition but got it anyway, mass effect 3 never made sense to me...

Anyway one of Nintendo's main pillars of business seems to be "bring back something we have not seen in a while", 3ds kid icarus being a good example, and nostalgia mining being a greater superset of that. To that end I am sure they know they have fans of a given franchise.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2016, 10:31:25 am »
The smart thing they should have done is team up with Doctor M64 and make a official release of his game for their eShop store for both the Wii U and 3DS, both of them would have made a lot of money and the fans would have been very happy instead of very angry right now.

Both trailer videos of Federation Force and Paper Mario: Color Splash are the most disliked videos on their official YouTube channel, that's a bad sign for them because that means they're starting to lose fans instead of gaining fans.

Thank god I downloaded it on day one.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2016, 12:02:00 pm »
So has the question been settled that this takedown truly and unambiguously originated with Nintendo and not from some overzealous legal team?

The smart thing they should have done is team up with Doctor M64 and make a official release of his game for their eShop store for both the Wii U and 3DS
Porting things like this is rarely trivial.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

MisterJones

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2016, 05:11:52 pm »
The belief that certain big companies in Japan care more for their "home" fanbase than overseas is usually more like a general breakdown in communication.  They have people observing and it's evident in parts, but somehow or another the information doesn't make it's way to the higher-ups all the time.  Square-Enix is another example of this, maybe one that's even more evident depending on how you look at it.
I only remember what I read by now, not specific enough to make up a quote.  It's kinda old-ish in Internet time but I'll try to track it down.
ah, got it. Yeah, that makes sense as well. I have been giving thought to this and I also believe there were some stakes in regards to Other M too
_-|-_

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2016, 11:57:38 pm »
I wonder how long it will be until someone continues the old tradition of hacking in Zero Suit Samus. I did a quick test just for fun using sprites from Metroid Zero Mission (it was actually quite easy to do):

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2016, 09:27:27 am »
How are you gonna handle the morphball, though?

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2016, 04:18:37 pm »
I heard that Nintendo don't have much of a presence in the country the Metroid 2 Remake developer lives in, so he's ignoring their DMCA takedown. He just released a update of his fangame too.

w7n

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2016, 10:57:53 pm »
I heard that Nintendo don't have much of a presence in the country the Metroid 2 Remake developer lives in, so he's ignoring their DMCA takedown. He just released a update of his fangame too.
Nintendo has little presence in my country either (in fact it'd even still be long before piracy gets penalised in practice), so :-)
Or I'd just say: I have the game, and a bunch of Chinese sites are still hosting them with no chance of even being taken down.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2016, 02:57:14 pm »

A DMCA takedown is just a takedown anyway.  It's not a cease-and-desist order, which he hasn't received one of.  Until he does receive an actual cease-and-desist there's not really anything to stop him from reuploading.

LoganN64

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2016, 05:20:46 pm »
i played about 2 hours worth, and WOW! amazing! kudos for showing Nintendo that there is interest in their IPs!