News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Metroid 2 remake released.  (Read 17103 times)

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid 2 remake released.
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2016, 06:20:54 pm »
he plans to continue updating, so it might sort of work...........................................................
_-|-_

Psychlonic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 03:29:30 am »
Well, they may have taken down this amazing remake of the game they seemingly forgot about, but at least we get that overpriced plug and play NES game library everyone is excited about for some reason plus the Wii U 2 is right around the corner. Nintendo knows what you really want. Don't question them. 
Just another old and grumpy gamer. Don't mind me.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 08:33:16 am »
What would be the point of a C&D? The project is already finished.

For now there's still room to patch and update it. Nintendo hasn't (yet) swooped in with demands that development cease.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2016, 09:31:05 am »
Well, the magnet link is still up and working. They certainly can't stop that, since the DMCA was directly aimed at the server hosting the release. Serves Nintendo right for being so fucking stupid about Metroid (yes Prime Federation, I'm looking at you).
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2016, 09:50:05 am »
Let me get this straight.

There's a new Metroid game coming out, and Samus is not in it.

This is how you make a Metroid game in the Bizzaro World.
Yamero~~!

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2016, 10:12:28 am »
^ That and the game looks super retarded. GG Nintendo.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2016, 10:22:59 am »
I guess Nintendo just doesn't like playing it particularly safe with Metroid. To their credit, Prime happened because of that, but it's been a downhill climb ever since.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2016, 01:43:58 pm »
Years ago everyone hated wind waker then it became a classic in the minds of people over time. Same could happen to Other M and that Federation game.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2016, 04:17:29 pm »
Nintendont

We don't do because reasons.

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2016, 04:25:15 pm »
I would give my two cents about Nintendo's actions, but then I would get warned for spamming F-Bombs aimed at Nintendo.

Axiphel

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2016, 04:29:56 pm »
Companies have to protect their IPs or else they risk losing them... It's not like they're doing it because they're trying to keep the little man down.

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2016, 08:19:49 pm »
Companies have to protect their IPs or else they risk losing them... It's not like they're doing it because they're trying to keep the little man down.
I don't think people have too many complaints about the takedown. What's far more disappointing is the direction that Nintendo has taken Metroid these past eight years.

MisterJones

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2016, 10:16:27 am »
Companies have to protect their IPs or else they risk losing them...

This is somewhat innacurate. Forst of all, what you might lose is a trademark, not uyour IP or any form of copyright. And even then, the conditions are very specific:

http://www.inta.org/TrademarkBasics/FactSheets/Pages/LossofTrademarkRightsFactSheet.aspx

The relevant bit for this scenario would be: " a trademark may be deemed abandoned if the trademark owner licenses or authorizes other parties to use its mark without exercising adequate control over the use of the mark, which can include inadequate control over the quality of the goods and/or services offered under the mark.

In addition, a trademark may be deemed abandoned if the trademark owner purports to assign its mark separate and apart from the goodwill represented by the mark. Under U.S. trademark law, this often is referred to as an “assignment in gross” of the mark. Other countries may recognize assignments without the associated goodwill. Always check with local counsel in the country in which an assignment is contemplated."

The dfun fatc is that the quality of this remake seems superior than what the actual owner has over it nowadays.

It should also be noted that they could have come into an arrangement for distribution as well, so it can become eventually an officially sanctioned product.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 10:22:24 am by MisterJones »
_-|-_

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2016, 10:25:32 am »
Of course, if they lost the trademark, that wouldn't affect the copyright side of things. So... you might suddenly be able to use the name Metroid in reference to a video games, but not the actual characters from Nintendo's Metroid series.

So even losing the trademark wouldn't really do all too much. You still couldn't say, sell your own version of an existing Metroid game.
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

MisterJones

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2016, 10:30:26 am »
There might be a ground for the takedown in favor for nintendo (which is still dickish tho):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
"For instance, in L.A. Times v. Free Republic, the court found that the noncommercial use of LA Times content by the Free Republic Web site was not fair use, since it allowed the public to obtain material at no cost that they would otherwise pay for."

While the original is a different ordeal from the remake in many ways, it could be considered that the free remake is a superior rpoduct and more appealing to consumers over the paid official version. Given nitnendo loves to sell overpriced old releases on the virtual console, there is a ground for them for this shit.

It is still bullshit though.
_-|-_

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2016, 10:38:13 am »
If people will keep cool about this, and not get their torches and pitchforks out, perhaps Nintendo will take some time, review the case and say "Hey, our WiiWare shop could use a new Metroid game"

Capcom done it with Street Fighter x Megaman.
Yamero~~!

MisterJones

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2016, 10:45:15 am »
But we are already releasing a Metroid game! I dont get what our audience wants!

It is a general belief that Nintendo cares way more about the japanese market over the international one, with only looking at the international market if a brand is popular on both sides. And it seems Metroid isnt that popular over Japan.
_-|-_

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2016, 11:10:55 am »
Popular thought would seem to state so, yes.

But there's always the chance that somebody will say, "why don't we try something different?" Human beings been known to do that sometimes, and whether corporations are people (they aren't) or not, they are in fact run by people, and sometimes those people do crazy things that become wildly successful.

The making of Chrono Trigger is a good example; Square and Enix don't seem to have wasted much time, they just called each other one day and said "what would happen if we got our teams together for a game making party?" The result was a huge freaking hit, and still inspiring people to this day. Hard to top Chrono Trigger. And it was just a whim, you know? They didn't sit down at marketing meetings and say "let's team up with a rival company and make a game." Marketing would have shot that stuff down.

Nintendo has options at this point, they could C&D development of the game itself, or they can own this fan game and make a lot of people happy instead of going around pew pewing everything their fans like with their NES Zapper guns.
Yamero~~!

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2016, 02:27:03 pm »
Dammit, I knew I should've downloaded it before it was taken down. >:(

Fan can't help it if his remake was better than big N's last what, 2-4 Metroid games (including that Metroid/LEGO Bionicle buttbaby in the works?).

:banghead:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

stuffgnome

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2016, 02:41:57 pm »
Quote from: Bahamut ZERO
Dammit, I knew I should've downloaded it before it was taken down. >:(

You can still find it by searching for "AM2R_10.zip" in your search engine of choice.

For .zip:
CRC32: b53aa788
MD5: cc2244b28c3a8f21acf256413319b3d3
SHA-1: 26f11b2635f317b8b9a3571f54c20a7dc09245b4

For .exe (just because)
CRC32: 463c13ec
MD5: 504bb993ace33fb764ce158d0d22f106
SHA-1: 430465100d92b7b79498c8bec0bb94c0c41798b7
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 03:01:04 pm by stuffgnome »