News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project Castlevania: Choir of Redemption (CV DoS & PoR portraits hack)  (Read 96147 times)

JohannGralog

• View Profile
Re: Project Castlevania: Choir of Redemption (CV DoS & PoR portraits hack)
« Reply #320 on: September 13, 2018, 08:50:39 am »
Awww I wanted to take a peek at Brauner.
Oh well, perhaps later. :P

Orochi Kusanagi's head shape, filled in + redone clothes texture.

Are you going to retouch the previous Death mockup we had in this thread, Johann?
Or are you going to make a new head for that one to be more akin to the original design?
My main intent is to be true to the sprite art. Might retouch it in function of the sprite conversion, though.

It actually feels like there is a slight perspective error on this one:

The head gear seems to be at a more oblique perspective than the head itself so it looks like it's 'painted on' because of the conflicting perspectives.

The 'shadow' on the underside of the headgear clashes quite a bit with the shine of the top hair too. Since he light focus seems to be frontal on the original, the shadow probably needs to be severely minimized until it's a slightly darker shade of hair on the very top of the head OR the shine at the top of the head removed. Another alternative is to make the whole underside darker and remove the 'shine' of all the hair.

I understand the shadow was probably to distract from the 'paint on' look, but you probably need a better solution i'm not painter enough to notice, even if it's hard with such a rigid surface. The fabric on the sleeves has a much more natural organic shadow look... this is mostly due to the shadow play and organic creases changing the colors and grain. Consider making a slight 'shadow' on the visible part of the back of the hat in addition to the suggestions on the previous paragraph. The underside of the hat color looks fine for a 'frontal light' thing but it also makes the decorative fringe look artificial because of lack of relief. Dunno how to make it better cause not a painter.

All this criticism might be pointless when the images are downsampled to the NDS resolution ofc. No one might notice.
Lol yeah, I literally traced that headgear from the anime portrait because I couldn't find a reference that looked like it. Yes, I should probably at the very least remove the topmost shine of the hair.

No clue how to make the lace fringe less artificial. I think I used a lava effect to generate it. I honestly have no clue what I'm doing.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 13, 2018, 10:32:34 am »
Orocho did send me the mockup he did, it's quite good I gotta say :)
It's coming along nicely.

Only thing I would add would be some wrinkles and the facial expressions for the chin and eyes to it to make him look older.
But it really is looking great!

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 22, 2018, 03:36:42 pm »
Some quick ideas, feel free to use/polish them if you like any:

There has to be a better life.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 22, 2018, 03:54:22 pm »
Loving that mockup, @mz!
The higher head and facial expressions were greatly caught from the original into a more realistic version.
Great work :)

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 11, 2019, 08:34:37 am »
It's been a while…

That Brauner looks pretty good.

Slightly retouched Loretta

Loretta with no headcovering, in case someone wants to draw a better bonnet

Now, the only portrait I'm still not happy with is Vincent.

Old work for reference, no work has been done on that since last year:

Maybe it looks fine when scaled down, though.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 11, 2019, 09:06:55 am »
He looks too young to me. Otherwise, it's fine. Just needs a scruffier, chubbier face.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 12, 2019, 05:52:13 pm »
They look nice, but I wouldn't say they look like Kojimas artwork.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 13, 2019, 02:18:52 am »
I think they'll look close enough to the real McCoy when they are pixelized into the game.

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 13, 2019, 09:41:16 am »
I think they'll look close enough to the real McCoy when they are pixelized into the game.
It's probably also that Portrait of Ruin has pretty wacky character designs and that all I'm doing is just editing existing artwork.

Slightly reworked Vincent:

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 13, 2019, 12:31:18 pm »
I'm liking these new mockups :)
What characters from PoR have been done far?
I have Loretta, Brauner and Vincent counted for, did I miss some?

I might go back to these once I get back from vacations.

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: July 13, 2019, 03:56:47 pm »
I'm liking these new mockups :)
What characters from PoR have been done far?
I have Loretta, Brauner and Vincent counted for, did I miss some?

I might go back to these once I get back from vacations.
All of them are covered.

Kojima's main characters

mz's Brauner

Loretta

Stella

(I can also provide non-heterochromic eyes for when their vampirism is lifted, though that's probably easier to change after conversion to pixel art)

Wind / Eric

Vincent

Dracula

Death

Edit:

Some first attempts at turning a few of these into something fitting for the game:

Spoiler:
Earlier, discarded attempt
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 09:31:28 am by JohannGralog »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 14, 2019, 10:35:30 am »
I'd say for Loretta and Stella's portraits in-game wise that you posted Johann, move their heads down a bit. Right now you're seeing more of their neck and outfit than their actual face. Especially Stella, that neck is taking up most of the portrait.

Otherwise I think with some tweaking here and there in their in-game portrait form, these could work incredibly well!
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 14, 2019, 11:42:44 am »
Those portraits look great!
I do agree with Justin, in that both the girls portraits, their image should be moved down a bit, since their neck does take a good portion of the image.

As for the rest, they look great!

I do have some little irk with Charlotte, Morris and Death though.
Like both Charlotte and Morris' current images don't have some sort of side view, like the rest of the portraits, so they look a bit off. But so far they look good I gotta say

Only one I might further modify is Death.
For some reason, the skinny skull doesn't fit well for me, I:ll try to see if I can find a more prominent/rectangular shaped skull for Death to go along his portrait.

The rest look  :thumbsup:
Incredible.
I can't wait to make the patch for this game as soon as I get back from vacations!

Azwel

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 14, 2019, 12:17:20 pm »
Here's an alternate portrait for Charlotte from grimoire of souls

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 14, 2019, 12:24:21 pm »
I'd say for Loretta and Stella's portraits in-game wise that you posted Johann, move their heads down a bit. Right now you're seeing more of their neck and outfit than their actual face. Especially Stella, that neck is taking up most of the portrait.

Otherwise I think with some tweaking here and there in their in-game portrait form, these could work incredibly well!
Keeping it like that for Loretta means the awkward perspective of the bonnet is avoided.

I'll try to move Stella down a bit. I hope I can remember by what percentage I scaled down so I only have to retouch the top part and can salvage the rest.

Edit:
new v old

Like both Charlotte and Morris' current images don't have some sort of side view, like the rest of the portraits, so they look a bit off.
Jonathan is somewhat sideways. It's mostly Charlotte, Vincent and Brauner who are front-facing.

The original portraits were rather inconsistent about this as well. Both Brauner and Dracula were depicted front-view.

Only one I might further modify is Death.
For some reason, the skinny skull doesn't fit well for me, I:ll try to see if I can find a more prominent/rectangular shaped skull for Death to go along his portrait.
It's the only suitable skull I remember finding among Kojima's art, but I suppose any realistically illustrated skull would do.

Edit: A first rough version of the ending portraits. I assumed they shared a palette.

I went with a gold leaf background for the good ending Vincent portrait. I feel like that translated well.

The black Kojima gouache background isn't very recognizable on the other portraits, unfortunately.

Here's an alternate portrait for Charlotte from grimoire of souls
Oh, I totally forgot about Grimoire of Souls since it still hasn't been released. I'll see if I can cobble together a new Charlotte based on that (the arm is positioned a little unfortunately, but that's probably an easy fix)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 02:14:41 pm by JohannGralog »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 14, 2019, 03:16:51 pm »
Good that you guys are finally working on this.

The thing that stands out to me is not everything has a distinguishing line around it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 05:05:58 pm by MathUser2929 »

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 20, 2019, 01:18:09 pm »
The Grimoire of Souls image was pretty compressed so it took a lot fiddling to get something nice out of it.

It's a better pose for the portrait, but I'm still not happy with the colors &c.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 20, 2019, 06:56:49 pm »
Shouldnt her mouth be closed tho? Glad to see the hack is still going tho.

July 20, 2019, 08:09:38 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Oh,I get it. The extra pic is for the ending.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 08:09:38 pm by MathUser2929 »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 23, 2019, 11:43:00 am »
A possible base image for Morris or one of his portraits, sent to me by MathUser:

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 31, 2019, 11:13:56 am »
Dropping by to say that I am doing work on the background for the PoR side, just that I don't post often due to most of my attention being focused on MaternalBound Redux at the moment :P

That said, I went ahead and set all the portraits that JohannGralog has done so far.
They look wonderful to say the least!

With that said, there are a couple of things I want to address, hopefully you can help me with these, Johann.

1) Charlotte's default pose is more to the side. Perhaps the current one could be changed for one that matches that side view of her face, if not, then I think the current one will do by just closing her mouth in the pic.

2) The second portrait you made for Charlotte is wonderful, although I think it would fit better for her Menu portrait instead, given how much it resembles her original one. Simply making it fit to that palette, and mirroring the picture horizontally will do:

3) The same points for Charlotte apply to Jonathan's portraits as well. Although I think that for him, we need to find a second portrait to use for the main game, since the current one we have closely matches that of the menu one for him (which is where the current one will most likely be used). With that, the current one could maybe be reworked to fit the menu portrait for Jonathan, and maybe the one sent to me by MathUser could be reworked for the main Jonathan portrait in-game.
Standard portrait in-game:                    Portraits for Jonathan's menu:

4) Both Loretta and Stella's portraits are awesome, just Loretta's would only need to be lowered a bit, same as what was done with Stella's. Also, for Stella's, if you can Johann, could you please post a non-vampire version of Stella's with the new height?

5) Make Wind's eyes face forward instead of to the side.

6) For Death, I am still pretty indecisive about it. We have the current portraits for him:

I want to find a way to make the skull for Death more prominent and not as skinny. Something similar to the original but in a more realistic art.

All in all, I think those are all the points to make an initial beta ROM with the new portraits included.
If there are any more suggestions or such, please drop them by!