News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project Castlevania: Choir of Redemption (CV DoS & PoR portraits hack)  (Read 45516 times)

JohannGralog

• View Profile
Re: Project Castlevania: Choir of Redemption (CV DoS & PoR portraits hack)
« Reply #320 on: September 13, 2018, 08:50:39 am »
Awww I wanted to take a peek at Brauner.
Oh well, perhaps later. :P

Orochi Kusanagi's head shape, filled in + redone clothes texture.

Are you going to retouch the previous Death mockup we had in this thread, Johann?
Or are you going to make a new head for that one to be more akin to the original design?
My main intent is to be true to the sprite art. Might retouch it in function of the sprite conversion, though.

It actually feels like there is a slight perspective error on this one:

The head gear seems to be at a more oblique perspective than the head itself so it looks like it's 'painted on' because of the conflicting perspectives.

The 'shadow' on the underside of the headgear clashes quite a bit with the shine of the top hair too. Since he light focus seems to be frontal on the original, the shadow probably needs to be severely minimized until it's a slightly darker shade of hair on the very top of the head OR the shine at the top of the head removed. Another alternative is to make the whole underside darker and remove the 'shine' of all the hair.

I understand the shadow was probably to distract from the 'paint on' look, but you probably need a better solution i'm not painter enough to notice, even if it's hard with such a rigid surface. The fabric on the sleeves has a much more natural organic shadow look... this is mostly due to the shadow play and organic creases changing the colors and grain. Consider making a slight 'shadow' on the visible part of the back of the hat in addition to the suggestions on the previous paragraph. The underside of the hat color looks fine for a 'frontal light' thing but it also makes the decorative fringe look artificial because of lack of relief. Dunno how to make it better cause not a painter.

All this criticism might be pointless when the images are downsampled to the NDS resolution ofc. No one might notice.
Lol yeah, I literally traced that headgear from the anime portrait because I couldn't find a reference that looked like it. Yes, I should probably at the very least remove the topmost shine of the hair.

No clue how to make the lace fringe less artificial. I think I used a lava effect to generate it. I honestly have no clue what I'm doing.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 13, 2018, 10:32:34 am »
Orocho did send me the mockup he did, it's quite good I gotta say :)
It's coming along nicely.

Only thing I would add would be some wrinkles and the facial expressions for the chin and eyes to it to make him look older.
But it really is looking great!

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 22, 2018, 03:36:42 pm »
Some quick ideas, feel free to use/polish them if you like any:

There has to be a better life.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 22, 2018, 03:54:22 pm »
Loving that mockup, @mz!
The higher head and facial expressions were greatly caught from the original into a more realistic version.
Great work :)