News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project Castlevania: Choir of Redemption (CV DoS & PoR portraits hack)  (Read 62765 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Project Castlevania: Choir of Redemption (CV DoS & PoR portraits hack)
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2016, 06:59:39 pm »
I'm back again, this time with the mockups for Celia, Dmitrii and Dario:

These are the ones Johann had for his mockups, I reworked them a little bit and implemented them into the portraits.
Personally, I like Dimitrii's portrait quite a lot, while I think that Dario's the one that needs a good work to make it somewhat better.
Sadly, these three do not have any official artwork made by Kojima herself, so we would have to dig around until we find a proper portrait for those.

Also, I made Mina and Yoko's initial portraits:

Lastly, I would like to ask you guys which portrait style do you prefer for Soma:

My mockup:

Johann's original artwork:

Please let me know which one of the two you think would fit better with the overall design, since I'll also use the similar potraits for Mad Soma.

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2016, 05:07:45 pm »
My mockup:

Please let me know which one of the two you think would fit better with the overall design, since I'll also use the similar potraits for Mad Soma.
I chose the second one when I started because it’s directly based on his Dawn of Sorrow artwork done for Harmony of Despair:

It’s the closest we have to an official Kojima artwork for Dawn of Sorrow specifically, and most closely resembles the in-game sprite (other than the anime portrait, of course). Even with the fur collar removed, the trenchcoat is still very different.

As for Dmitrii, the only alternative I can think of is to try to work with this:

And then use some of those OoE faces to make him look slightly more realistic.

There’s one for Dario too, but his face is kinda covered.

Also, I believe Mina is wearing a different outfit in DoS, now that I look at the sprites.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 04:04:49 am by JohannGralog »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2016, 05:23:35 pm »
As for Dmitrii, the only alternative I can think of is to try to work with this:

And then use some of those OoE faces to make him look slightly more realistic.

Also, I believe Mina is wearing a different outfit in DoS, now that I look at the sprites.

Luke, is that you?

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2016, 05:57:27 pm »
You know, he doesn’t look that bad when converted to the in-game palette.

Not quite happy with Dario yet, but still probably an improvement:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 05:37:28 am by JohannGralog »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2016, 03:18:34 pm »
Both of those are HUGE improvement over the others thus far.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2016, 05:55:17 pm »
Both of those are HUGE improvement over the others thus far.
Thanks. I think I’m getting the hang of how to get the most use out of the palettes.

Too bad I don’t have similar source material for Celia.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2016, 10:22:30 am »
I'm back again, this time with the mockups for Celia, Dmitrii and Dario:

These are the ones Johann had for his mockups, I reworked them a little bit and implemented them into the portraits.
Personally, I like Dimitrii's portrait quite a lot, while I think that Dario's the one that needs a good work to make it somewhat better.
Sadly, these three do not have any official artwork made by Kojima herself, so we would have to dig around until we find a proper portrait for those.

Also, I made Mina and Yoko's initial portraits:

Lastly, I would like to ask you guys which portrait style do you prefer for Soma:

My mockup:

Wow, these look (mostly) amazing!

Only Dario needs work. Dmitrii is really good. Please use this one, and not the one from that fan art.

As for the Soma portraits, use the second one. It is more unique compared to the one from Aria. That makes Dawn look a bit more like a new game.

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2016, 04:25:05 pm »
Only Dario needs work. Dmitrii is really good. Please use this one, and not the one from that fan art.
The newer Dario and Dmitrii I did were not based on fan art, but on a few of the “official wallpapers”. Not Kojima artwork, sadly, but I think they’re fairly coherent when converted to the in-game portrait.

The cobbled-together earlier portraits I did are probably easier to add emotes to, but I’m not sure they will ever look right compared to the Kojima portraits. Also, I seem to have forgotten to button up Dmitrii’s shirt.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2016, 03:40:13 pm »
Dmitrii looks greats! Way better than what I anticipated when seeing the art it was based on, you did a great job converting it to the right size and palette

What bothers me about Dario is that the scale is different that the others. The same thing seems off when looking at the Yoko and Mina portraits next to each other...
I would suggest to try to keep the sizes of all the character's heads consistent.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 03:49:02 pm by azulo »

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2016, 06:21:06 pm »
What bothers me about Dario is that the scale is different that the others. The same thing seems off when looking at the Yoko and Mina portraits next to each other...
I would suggest to try to keep the sizes of all the character's heads consistent.
Yeah, I was mostly thinking on how to best represent the Dario portrait in the right palette while creating it. The scale is also what bothers me. It’s cut off the way it is because the palette just doesn’t cover enough shades of black to represent his jacket.

I’m not sure I can get it looking this crisp and clear at a reduced size, though. And the jacket will become a problem again. I’ll give it a try once I have some free time again, later this week.

September 14, 2016, 02:03:57 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Redone Dario, next to Dmitrii for scale.

Best I can do with the different poses. Then again, Dario is noticeably larger and bulkier. :p
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 02:07:58 pm by JohannGralog »

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2016, 12:17:39 am »
Looks a lot better that way :)

Ok guys, I didn't want to mention it earlier because I wasn't sure I could find some spare time to work on this, but I can draw. And since there's zero Celia art we can use for this, I did one drawing myself. The face is heavely based on the Succubus art from SotN.

Ta-dah, hope you like it  :)

In case you'd like to use it... I did some mockups for the in-game portraits.

**edit: This one's better. Got rid of some of the black on the hair, added more skin tones...

pd: And if you like my work so far, I could work on a couple more later one... At least for the ones we don't have any art to work with, either in DoS and PoR. I belive this patch should be based on as much official art as possible (so I would definitely keep the current Dmitri and Dario, since they're at least based on official promotional art.)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 02:55:23 am by azulo »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2016, 01:08:38 am »
 Holy freaking shit azulo!!!
That drawing is amazing!
I can tell you for sure I'll be using that one for her portrait. :)
If you let me of course. :P

I love your artstyle, very reminiscent of Kojima's!
I'd love to see more of your work for sure :)
You could give Dmitrii and Dario a crack for the hell of it. :P

I'll be implementing the portraits we have to the ROM this week and hopefully we might have a 1.0 patch for DoS soon enough! (With static portraits per character for all dialogue that is)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2016, 02:19:42 am »
You should hold off on the 1.0 till she can draw more. I'd like to see Hammer without that blotch on his forehead.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2016, 02:45:20 am »
Holy freaking shit azulo!!!
That drawing is amazing!
I can tell you for sure I'll be using that one for her portrait. :)
If you let me of course. :P

I love your artstyle, very reminiscent of Kojima's!
I'd love to see more of your work for sure :)
Haha thanks for that reaction! That's the best part of getting a drawing done.
Well it wouldn't be fair to call it *my* artstyle, since I was intentionally copying Kojima's on this one, but I'm glad you loved it. You can see more of my stuff on either my tumblr or dA (name on both: acediez)... though they've been both abandoned for more than a year (been stuck on a huge project for awhile  :D). For more style mimicking, check my Mega Man stuff.

I'll be implementing the portraits we have to the ROM this week and hopefully we might have a 1.0 patch for DoS soon enough! (With static portraits per character for all dialogue that is)

That's exactly what I wanted to ask. I figured with Celia done, all the static portraits are covered, and a test first release could be the next step... (still room for improvement, but it'd be nice to see in-game what we got so far.)

I'm excited! This is one of the dream projects I wished I had the skill to do. I'm happy to contribute with art and finally have it done as a team effort :)

So count on me to go with this project all the way, both DoS and PoR with whatever characters we need new art for. But I won't work on the portrait variations. I really stand by my opinion that this should be, first and foremost, a "static portraits" deal. I know you said you plan to do both, but I'd really just focus on getting a base "static portraits" for both games before even considering seriously tackling all the variations.

- Maybe it's just me... and I know it's gonna sound bad (I'd really hate to sound like I don't value other people's work)... But, as I said on an earlier post, I do think that "face editing" over official art looks cheap. Not that there hasn't been some great efforts on this thread... I just think that even the best of them won't look right next to actual official art, if only because you can recognize immediately exactly what's been done at a glance.
- To get GOOD portrait variations, there should be complete art done for each and every one of them. It's never just the face... the whole pose has to move. Just look at the Order of Ecclesia ones that were posted earlier on this thread.
- That said, I don't think it's realistic to have the huge amount of art needed. Just go to the first post and see how many of them are. (Even if I stick around, I can only do so much. I don't think I can do more than one per week, I can't drop my non-hobbie projects.) Of course, this could change if more artists show up, but I wouldn't count on it...
- So this is, by far, what would take the most amount of work! And yet, it could be considered entirely optional...

What I propose instead.
- Let's do a hell of a good DoS patch with only the static faces. Sure, I can give Dmitri and Dario a try, and help you edit the one's that still need work. Head-scale issues, edit the one's that need editing to make them all look good next to each other... Whatever.
- When DoS is finished, I'd move right to PoR and do the same thing, the best "static faces" patch we can do. (Again, based on official art first, and new art for characters missing secondly).
- And THEN, only THEN, ---if there's still energy, people, and willingness to go on---... take on the portraits variations for either game. Who knows, maybe getting the first version(s) out helps to get the word out, catch more artists' attention?

I insist on this because I know (I KNOW) it's a lot of work to get art done at a "official artwork standard" so everything looks right together, even a single piece. So I'd just focus on the portraits that count the most.

September 15, 2016, 02:49:29 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
You should hold off on the 1.0 till she can draw more. I'd like to see Hammer without that blotch on his forehead.
That's not an issue with the drawing, it's based on official art. It's an issue with the transition to a limited pallete. Just needs a bit of tweaking...

By the way, what's the color limit per portrait? How do I set it up so I know I'm doing something that can be inserted in the game? I kept editing my shrunk down Celia, but I decided to stop since I still don't know what kind of color limit to set up  :P

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2016, 03:30:27 am »
I’ve done a quick reedit of Hammer, considering it was one of my most dated conversions. I’ve removed the highlight on his head, and redone the neck and breast to be closer to the official art.

By the way, what's the color limit per portrait? How do I set it up so I know I'm doing something that can be inserted in the game? I kept editing my shrunk down Celia, but I decided to stop since I still don't know what kind of color limit to set up  :P
I usually conform to the existing palettes, which works fine for most portraits but not all of them.

Also, I absolutely adore your Celia.

Also, for Yoko we have official Kojima artwork of her Dawn of Sorrow dress:

I’ll work on converting that. But if there’s some way to change the palette, that would be really welcome, since the anime portrait is rather ill-suited.

That only leaves us the new Mina, who is in a casual outfit rather than her ceremonial gown.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 04:02:09 am by JohannGralog »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2016, 05:07:41 am »
That looks much better.

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2016, 05:23:50 am »
Yoko:

It took a lot of editing to get her to fit into the predetermined palette. Not quite happy with the hair, but the more I touch it the worse it seems to look. :p

I don’t have anything to work with for Mina, though. Best I can do is pasting her rotated Kojima face on the anime body, and editing it to look somewhat consistent:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 06:48:04 am by JohannGralog »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2016, 10:29:22 am »
@azulo:
Amazing work you have there on your pages!
You are truly an amazing artist. :)
I also used to draw way back in my junior/high school years, but as time went on, I stopped doing it in a consistent basis.
Last time I made a human draw was like 2-3 years ago, and man am I too freaking busy lately to even breathe.
If I can, I might make some mockups too.

I totally agree with you on your points.
I was also going to focus on the static faces first, and then further down the road if we can, start with the reaction portraits.
I have already added Johann's latest portraits of Yoko, Hammer and Mina, and I think I will take those for the initial patch.

Also, your Celia portrait looks like this when converted to the game's palette:

And with that, I will answer the following:

I posted a link in the first page of the thread in one of my posts with ALL of the DoS portraits with the proper indexed palette that the game uses:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bts7381gbfvgadm/DoS%20Portraits.rar?dl=0

You basically just need to open up the images in an image editor which supports indexed palettes, I use GIMP mainly, Paint.net, Photoshop or GraphicsGale are also good candidates here.
With GIMP you can open up the image, check that the indexed palette is there, then open up your drawing.
After that try to copy a portion of your drawing into the image with the indexed palette, and the software will automatically change the colours to the closest fitting one from the indexed palette. This way you can give yourself the idea of how it will look in game with the proper palette.

The only problem with that is that most of the times the automatic paletting the software does is not that good, and you have to retouch the image to make it look not so bleak.

Another thing to take into consideration is that the portrait has some sort of "imaginary border".
What I mean with this is that the image of the portrait is cutoff from the right, left and bottom sides of the full square image into some sort of rectangle. These imaginary border is the limit that tells us exactly where the image in-game will start to appear, so if you are going to make one image with new artwork, you need to make it fit within that imaginary border/rectangle.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 10:38:00 am by ShadowOne333 »

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2016, 10:46:15 am »
The only problem with that is that most of the times the automatic paletting the software does is not that good, and you have to retouch the image to make it look not so bleak.
Yeah, by now my process begins with recoloring, brightening/darkening, and changing the saturation of the source artwork before I even convert to the palette. Making sure I get as much use out of the palette as I can, and that I lose as little detail as possible.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2016, 11:01:08 am »
I think they probably want to know the exact dimensions for the portrait sprites. That would be useful info.