News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project Castlevania: Choir of Redemption (CV DoS & PoR portraits hack)  (Read 97100 times)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
Re: Project Castlevania: Choir of Redemption (CV DoS & PoR portraits hack)
« Reply #340 on: July 31, 2019, 02:08:26 pm »
Have you guys considered doing a ayumi kojmaizing of Castlevania Legends. Should probably do it for US and JP cause the JP version has backup battery. I'm sure it'd take you less than a week to finish. There are only 3 colors to use.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 02:30:35 pm by MathUser2929 »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 31, 2019, 04:01:38 pm »
Have you guys considered doing a ayumi kojmaizing of Castlevania Legends. Should probably do it for US and JP cause the JP version has backup battery. I'm sure it'd take you less than a week to finish. There are only 3 colors to use.
You mean like removing the whole anime-like aesthetic of it?
It could be done for sure, but I am not sure how well the gothic artstyle might translate to the 8-bit console.
Could be a neat project for sure, might try it out as a later project.

Also, Math, do you happen to have the image you sent me available?
I cannot access the link anymore, it seems like the page is not available or something.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 31, 2019, 04:17:27 pm »

I see it fine. It was on the previous page.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 06:06:03 pm by MathUser2929 »

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 31, 2019, 05:57:20 pm »
I'm rather hesitant to cobble together a new portrait for Jonathan considering we have a Kojima portrait. And it would probably be ideal to get permission from that fan artist first. I'm confident about the clothes, but I doubt that I could get the hair right. This portrait could work in its whole (the slicker style might fit well with the smoother Charlotte portrait), but again, permission should be obtained first. All in all, my preference would probably still go to sticking to actual Kojima artwork when possible.

Maybe we'll eventually see a new portrait in Grimoire of Souls, if that game ever gets a proper release at all.  ;D

I'll see if I can find time for the other stuff in the next few days.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 31, 2019, 07:47:43 pm »
Your artwork in the previous hack was alot better than that fanart. You should touch up on clean ayuni kojima pics.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: August 01, 2019, 10:14:53 am »
@Johann what about this for Jonathan's main portrait?

It's one of the promotional artworks for Castlevania characters.
Here's the full list of those for anyone that is interested:
http://somacruz.wapgem.com/Promotional%20Arts

The one found there for Dracula is also really good, I just haven't found a way to make a full frontal image of him from that side-view one :P
https://castlevaniadungeon.net/Images/Scans/PoR/pic_36.jpg
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 12:30:16 pm by ShadowOne333 »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 01, 2019, 02:22:57 pm »
That pic is good. You might need to crop out the whip. I don't remember portraits ever showing their weapons.

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 02, 2019, 11:49:16 am »
I touched it up and replaced the face with something from Kojima's art.

Might play with the colors some more.

I used a part of those promotional images for Wind's hat.

Edit: The guy who did that Nathan Graves also did a Vincent https://old.reddit.com/r/castlevania/comments/cfvb0q/vincent_the_shopkeeper_ayami_kojima_concept/
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 11:55:56 am by JohannGralog »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 02, 2019, 12:45:10 pm »
That looks really good :D
I would only apply some shading, and make his eyebrows match his hair colour, that's it!

Also, I didn't notice that Vincent drawing before, looks fairly good tbh.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 02, 2019, 01:17:00 pm »
Have you considered contacting that artist? He might be interested in being part of this hack. Maybe even make new art if needed.

Just sayin’

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 02, 2019, 02:29:14 pm »
Have you considered contacting that artist? He might be interested in being part of this hack. Maybe even make new art if needed.

Just sayin’
We probably should. He might even already be aware of this project, considering he seems to have been inspired by your Dmitrii.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 12, 2019, 03:11:18 pm »
I was about to compile and make a beta patch for PoR today, but decided I wanted to give Death a try at a new portrait image.
I made a quick mockup of the new portrait for him, although it is still far from being polished, but more or less give the idea:

Once the new Death and Jonathan's sprites are finished, I will make a beta patch for PoR :)
Also, for the Credits portraits, I noticed some of them have a slight background images behind the characters, implementing this into the new Credits portraits might give it a more faithful feel to them.

Let me know what do you guys think of the new Death. I tried to make it fit as close to the original artwork, but in a more gothic artstyle.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 12, 2019, 04:09:02 pm »
Looking good. when you finish can you post pics of everyone? I wanna see it in action.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 13, 2019, 12:57:46 pm »
Here's an attempt I gave to Dracula:

It's very rough still.
It needs some edge cleaning, and perhaps a slight shade fixing here and there, but so far I like how it's looking :)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 13, 2019, 03:28:38 pm »
kinda looks like cg or polygons.

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 14, 2019, 05:18:24 pm »
In my opinion, despite how good the final result is, your Pachislot Dracula mashup doesn't really look like Kojima's style, even if the eyebrows and nose originate from the DXC cover. For what it's worth, the CG clothes are still entirely the Dracula X Chronicles style as well (that is something you might want to address).

I understand my edits were far from perfect, but I paid attention to keep it as true to Kojima's style as I possibly could (probably to the detriment of any aesthetic value). I personally wasn't very comfortable moving away from subjects we had Kojima artwork for, like Jonathan. I think we don't really share a vision on this, so I'm probably done with this project. :-\

With some more work, you can probably continue this CG-based style to all portraits to great effect, not unlike how Order of Ecclesia had its own distinctive portraits.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 14, 2019, 05:25:55 pm »
The Dracula clothing I am aware, it's something I wanted to mention actually in the post for it, but just forgot.

Now back into the main topic at hand.

I'm sorry if it somehow made you think I underappreciated your work, because that is not the intend at all.
Going over the current project notes and thread overall, and after some re-evaluation, you are indeed right.

The original intend was to make the portraits as close to an official Kojima artstyle as possible, and it will follow through as such :)
The new ones I've been suggesting I might probably keep to myself, the release hack of Portrait of Ruin will go through with the portraits already posted here.

With that said, I apologize if I made you feel uncomfortable with all my previous chit-chat.
I will continue on with the current portraits we have. If you do have other suggestions, feedback or contributions, please do so. This whole pair of projects wouldn't even have been a thing if it weren't for you and what you started many years ago, I do wish we both can continue this through until the end of this project with both agreeing in the overall portraits and designs for them all.

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 14, 2019, 05:52:14 pm »
The Dracula clothing I am aware, it's something I wanted to mention actually in the post for it, but just forgot.

Now back into the main topic at hand.

I'm sorry if it somehow made you think I underappreciated your work, because that is not the intend at all.
Going over the current project notes and thread overall, and after some re-evaluation, you are indeed right.

The original intend was to make the portraits as close to an official Kojima artstyle as possible, and it will follow through as such :)
The new ones I've been suggesting I might probably keep to myself, the release hack of Portrait of Ruin will go through with the portraits already posted here.

With that said, I apologize if I made you feel uncomfortable with all my previous chit-chat.
I will continue on with the current portraits we have. If you do have other suggestions, feedback or contributions, please do so. This whole pair of projects wouldn't even have been a thing if it weren't for you and what you started many years ago, I do wish we both can continue this through until the end of this project with both agreeing in the overall portraits and designs for them all.
No apologies needed at all, and I offer mine if my post came across more negatively than I intended.

I'm actually pretty sure a lot of people will prefer your new CG-ish style and I still mean it that you should carry on with those (I think in general people dislike the anime portraits more than they like Kojima's portraits). Maybe do two patches, if it's not too much work. ;)

Don't implement "my" current portraits just yet either, I just contacted the Reddit/DeviantArt guy, and he gave me permission to use his Vincent (and he might try his hand at Brauner soon).

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 14, 2019, 05:54:51 pm »
Maybe I might take your word on the two patches thing :P
Will be fairly neat to see two patches for the game!

Oh and that is awesome news!
Do let him know about the project, and drop the link to him so he can also post in the thread and follow on the development of the hack :)

Thanks for everything so far!
And here's for going forward until we can see this project through :beer: :thumbsup:

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 14, 2019, 06:12:59 pm »
Bummer, you guys quit before CV Legends happened.